Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

QuakeCon 2012, August 2 - 5

Don't believe anything until you hear it from the source. Even then...

I remember Bethesda making this 'tweet' in regards to Skyrim, and, since they and id were both owned by Zenimax, everyone started thinking that this meant the latest Elder Scrolls game would be using id tech 5. I mean, how could it mean anything else?

Nope. It was the same old Gamebryo engine that they'd used for Oblivion, Fallout, etc. Just a little more sexed up.

EDIT: oh hey, I'm a full member. *Exhales ceremoniously into party blower.*

schwerpunk said:

Nope. It was the same old Gamebryo engine that they'd used for Oblivion, Fallout, etc. Just a little more sexed up.

I suppose you're one of those people who think that the Quake games uses the same engine as well.

I see what you're saying. I'll admit that Bethesda made some pretty grand improvements to their old engine.

You had to be there: Lots of speculation about Skyrim's engine; then this comment about a 'brand new' one; and the knowledge that Bethesda had access to id tech 5...

Have you seen the code of the engine. Do you know anything that supports the claim that the Creation engine is just an updated Gamebryo engine?

No, kristus, I'm an engine layman. I'm going entirely by the look of their game. And it looks a lot like an excellent Fallout 3 TC.

It's obvious you disagree, and that's fine. In fact you probably disagree for very good reasons that I'm unaware of.
My whole point was how many of us dreamed that Skyrim would use id tech 5 - which it didn't. When we saw that it looked an awful lot like their other games (and it was apparent - certain more apparent than going from one Quake to another), it was slightly disappointing. Which I segued into a lesson about not getting ones hopes up based on rumours or even official declarations.

That's my entire point. I'm not railing against Skyrim, Gamebryo, or Bethesda as a game, game engine, or game developer. Just don't get all pie-in-the-sky; that's the entirety of my point. I see now that I might've picked a better example to illustrate that point.

If you'd like to school me on some of the finer points of engine design or re-design, that's cool with me, but I'm not having a debate, because my thesis is not about engines, it's about hopes.

I just wanted to straighten out some of your claims. It's of course possible that they lied and that Creation is just an upgraded Gamebryo version. But you don't know that and you'd do right to not claim it like it was a fact because you think they look similar. That you make up things in your head that they are gonna use Id Tech. Despite Id and Bethesda themselves stating that this would not be the case, in the beginning as Id and Zenimax teamed up. That doesn't really matter.

DooM_RO said:

They don't want to release info too early like RAGE because people thought that RAGE was supposed to be like Fallout and Id never intended that.

Blah. It's just that they have no clue how to better hype Doom 4.

How about taking out a PC Gamer advert:

John Carmack's
about to make
you his bitch.
Seriously, though, it's Doom. Last I checked, the game-buying market is largely comprised of people who grew up playing the original. Shouldn't be that hard to hype, though I do hope they wait until they have something to show.

kristus: did some basic research. Looks like I missed a memo. Strangely enough, you're the first person to correct me on the Gamebryo-Skyrim myth.

So I stand corrected.