Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gruntkiller4000

The Official 'Trying to Find a Specific WAD' Thread

I'd imagine that Doomcenter used to have them, way back. I know I came second place overall, but there was only a prize for 1st -- if I recall, a copy of Doom signed by Romero himself.

Awesome thing is, Romero played my level! A bit spooge-worthy, that one. For the record, the one I did is E2M6 in the linked WAD. Like most of my maps of the period, it's a bit cramped (especially the last battle which was noble but flawed in execution) but nonetheless there are some fun parts which still stand up. I think. ;)

Is there some documentation of who made what level somewhere? Doomcenter is dead and archive.org can't index the site.

I remember downloading an unfinished Skulltag wad that was basically the first part of Metroid Fusion converted to Doom, but it was on the now closed Skulltag forums. (Yeah, this probably isn't the place to ask for a Skulltag wad, but whatever.) Anybody happen to have a download for it?

kmxexii said:

Is there some documentation of who made what level somewhere? Doomcenter is dead and archive.org can't index the site.

I got the names from archive.org long ago, but for some reason all the pages for Doomcenter are now blocked.

E1M1 - Cen2d.wad
Author: Jim McDougald

E1M2 - CONTEST.wad
Author: Robert Lasmanowicz

E1M3 - Dcg19.wad
Author: Doug Merrill

E1M4 - fred-e1.wad
Author: Fredrik Johansson

E1M5 - HR_e1entry.wad
Author: Harvey Riddle

E1M6 - Invictus.wad
Author: Rex Claussen

E1M7 - Kditd_sb.wad
Author: Simon Broadhead

E1M8 - laitos.wad
Author: Esa Repo

E1M9 - Oxygen.wad
Author: Jordan Buck

E2M1 - pwf.wad
Author: Simon Judd

E2M2 - tobias_m.wad
Author: Tobias Muench

E2M3 - toblood.wad
Author: Bob Larkin

E2M4 - trafficcontrol.wad
Author: Michael Martin

E2M5 - Walld1e1.wad
Author: Jeffrey Crenshaw

E2M6 - Jxt-e1m1.wad
Author: Justin Townsend

Thanks a lot for the info. Great to find a work by Espi that I didn't know about. And it's a really nice map reminiscent of "Suspended in Dusk".

Mad Butcher said:

I got the names from archive.org long ago, but for some reason all the pages for Doomcenter are now blocked.

Bless you, sir

Mad Butcher said:

for some reason all the pages for Doomcenter are now blocked.

I think you can blame the current owner for that, Doomcenter is currently parked in a targeted advertising network.

Talking about the E1 contest WAD, I noticed an oddity in it. It replaces some music lumps and D_E1M2 is among the replaced, but the track used there is "The Imp's Song" itself. I did notice the lump is 1 byte larger than the one in the v1.9 and ultimate IWADs (36,777 bytes instead of 36,776 bytes and of a clearly different size than in any earlier versions of DOOM, from what I can tell.) I note there seems to difference at the end, can anyone with more musical knowledge or a better ear tell if this is just some lump corruption, an insignificant difference, or if someone actually tried to fix or change the music in some way?

Heh, would it be bad form to repurpose the map I did for the E1 contest and stick it in my current level set? I'm aiming at 32 and that's kinda overwhelming when I think about it too much.

I played it, liked it, a few changes and it'd fit right in with what I'm doing right now.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that and it's been done many times before. For example, map23 from 1monster is a slightly edited version of alstsoul.

Fuck yeah. I'm going to change it though, keep it fresh and iron out some of the faults (namely, yellow key area - I don't know what I was thinking with the narrowness there - and the ending part).

Lookng for some WAD I played a year ago but forgot the name. All I know is it's from 1995 or 1994? And you kill Bill Gates and Mircrosoft on Icon OF Sin.

Memfis said:

It is Marswar. The latest version of it is here.

Thanks memphis! I've been trying to find that wad for ages =P

Memfis said:
Are his comments/ratings/whatever available somewhere?

All I have are the final rankings (a couple have already been mentioned here):

E2M5 - walld1e1.wad (Jeffrey Crenshaw) - 1st
E2M6 - jxt-e1m1.wad (Justin Townsend) - 2nd
E1M4 - fred-e1.wad (Fredrik Johansson) - 3rd
E2M2 - tobiasm.wad (Tobias Muench) - 4th

Okay...
Ive had amazing luck, getting this wonderful, and paitient, community to answer my stupid questions before, so Ill try one here too...

Im lookin for a wad.
It was nothing special. It started you off in front of a big building, outside, and some distance away from it. Zombie men and imps in your way. Big stone building, normal and boring looking. Just a big square "house"
Single level wad. It was full of narrow corridors and secret passages. The only leads I have were that I THINK it was called "Wharehouse" and I THINK it replaced E2M1 of Doom. Ive gone through the archives, searching for both criteria seperatly, but havent found the one. Theres lots of missions called Wharehouse, and lots of missions that replace E2M1, but none are the ones Im looking for. I MAY have played it on a CD. I thought Maximum Doom, but I checked that disc and it wasnt there. It may have been a D-Zone or something similer. Seem to recall playing with a frontend called "Doomit" too. Back in the day. Anybody seen this wild goose? :)

Hello.

I'm looking for sort of a.. rpg mod, you could say. An example is going on in daily life, work/school, home, etc..

I've heard of doom center but I didn't really like it.

Are there any sort of mods like this?

I'm looking for a mod I saw a couple of months ago. It look like it was cell-shaded and it had soldiers that looked like the H.E.C.U. squads from Half-life.

The animations were very smooth and it also had a throwable uzi that kept shooting after you tossed it.

There weren't any custom levels as far as I can remember.

This isn't any wad in particular- but does anyone know of any 'adventure' type wads? Or explorational wads? Something where you wonder around like some kind of RPG type world?

I once made Grove.wad and am thinking of something along those lines.

Thanks.

I've been trying to remember the name of this WAD for years. Here's what I can tell you:

* It was almost certainly made in 1994.

* It had one level.

* The key identifying feature of the level was a large tower which I believe was surrounded by a vast lake of lava (at least, at some point it was).

* The point of the level was to "unlock" the tower. You had to do something in two or three different areas to do this.

* One of the areas was a kind of generic cement-and-computers area with some imps in it. I think it involved skirting around a slime pit to hit a switch or get a key, but I'm not 100% sure.

* Another area was an underground tunnel area. It was dark and used a red crystal texture, I think. Mercifully, it wasn't maze--it was fairly straightforward. I recall cacodemons featuring prominently in this part.

* Once you unlocked the tower, a whole mess of fodder enemies were summoned around it. I remember it being very easy to die at this point, especially if you weren't ready for it.

* Unlocking the tower was represented as the outer "layer" of the tower dropping, radically altering the tower's appearance.

* You entered the tower just by running up against it--this teleported you inside.

* Inside was fairly generic cement-and-computers stuff, I think.

* I think the beginning of the level had you alone in a tiny area with some brambles, and maybe immediately gave you a shotgun. Not 100% clear on this.

* It may be rare. I vaguely recall being unable to find it on the D!Zone CD back when I still remembered the name. Not 100% sure on this--it may be that I'd already forgotten the name by then and was simply unable to find any reasonable matches.

Any help would be much appreciated. I know it's not a stand-out level, especially by modern standards, but I have fond memories of playing it.

Trying one more, and last, time:

darkreaver said:

The map I`m trying to find is most probably a part of a megawad:

all I can remember is a huge crusher shaped like an inverted cross, and I think there was a red key in the middle of it, and there were alot of brown textures, probably stones, at least not tech base.

Does this ring any bell for anyone?

I'm looking for an old map, but only remember one area of it: a big, dark, underground cave where lies a skull structure that's part of some fortifications. There's a bunch of torches in the "eye sockets" of the skull (I think), with some imps or sergeants. It's probably an old 90's vanilla map...

LaughingMan008 said:

It started you off in front of a big building, outside, and some distance away from it. Zombie men and imps in your way. Big stone building, normal and boring looking. Just a big square "house"
Single level wad. It was full of narrow corridors and secret passages.

XENO11?

Twigs said:

I've been trying to remember the name of this WAD for years. Here's what I can tell you:

I found it: It's dmprtl.wad.