Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-12 - It is here. Ready your buns... for burgers.

OK guys, great job! We are in FEATURE FREEZE now! Any maps you upload here should be part of the existing list, and only contain fixes that effect gameplay. You can fix HOMs, out of place blue/red spawns, showstopping bugs, sourceport incompatibilities, but no adding any new features, gameplay, or detail. Our priority is to get this ready for wide open testing and compiled. TheGreenHerring is our compiler for this session, as he has been for the past several too, so please address concerns with regards to compilation to him in #32in24.

I've just updated the texture wad with a bunch of bugs and oversights corrected, including some coloring oddities (like the blood flats) or major inconsistencies in various textures (like the black marble) and the addition of a few things that were missing (like black marble flats, and red comp2).

Get the latest version for a slightly enhanced texturing experience when updating your maps next weekend!

edit: Updated again with better/more marble at 5:44 am. Bedtime!

dew said:

solarn:
heh, interesting. i'll wait and see how this plays ingame. in the meantime, get rid of the invis!!! it enrages some ctf players to the point of qutting life. also your GA's are too close to the lift platforms and go all hover-item. :)

Aww, but I like trolling CTF players with invis. Also, I thought I fixed those damn hovering items. I guess I forgot to save the change.
http://www2.zshare.ma/040iudm6sf9s Here's the fixed version.

tempun said:

I hope you guys aren't going to pull a Ralphis and fill 3/4 of the wad with junk.

you mean a deathz0r?

tempun said:

I hope you guys aren't going to pull a Ralphis and fill 3/4 of the wad with junk.

DRINKIN THAT HATERADE

Skillsaw - This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man

i like the layout of this map, both bases and the mid are interesting and intertwined and stuff, just what people like. that said, the mid and the flag position just PROVOKE rocketjumping, players will be flying all over the open space... and that is why you must remove most, if not all of the health. definitely remove the two medkits at the green armors and keep just one at the lower entrance. turn the ones in the upper entrance into stimpaks, nuke everything else. those medkits give the rjumpers an extreme advantage and it'd get too easy to maintain enough health for blasting yourself across the map. oh, and lose any cell ammo, 200 cells from the plasma should be enough (remember, NM skill is the standard and multiplayer, erm, multiplies ammo pickups even more.) i love the soulspheres tho!

The Mionic Donut - Splatterday Night Fever

we discussed stuff, so i'll wait for your next version if you decide to implement those changes.

Solarn - Face to Face

i had very little time last night, so i just pointed out the obvious, now i had a second look. this will be totally frantic and hopefully fun, however. the plasmas can be grabbed by jumping into the crates from the ground level, dunno if that was intended, but it will mean a lot of spammmmmmm. also i know the RL is quite hard to get, but it still allows you to rocketjump easily from flag to flag. this is considered a showstopper at most times, so i'd suggest to ditch the RL entirely, put plasma at that spot and instead of plasmas, use something you won't mind players will bump-grab from the ground level. :) the only cool jumping trick that should be kept is jumping to the "green armor" elevator from the shootable elevator, then to the flag (or vice versa, although there's that walkover line making that harder... which is a good thing for slowing down runners).

Jimmy91 - Sauce Port

this is a big one, so it's harder to predict flow and heat zones and weak points, etc. i don't see anything wrong with it, though, so i think i'll wait and see how it plays in playtesting. i do kinda wonder what it'd do to the map if the blood/water was slightly corrosive... :)

nub_hat - Water Purification Facility

weird shape is weird, hah. i'll tell you the same what i told xutawoo: i miss teleporters that'd tie the upper and lower route together. this way if you pick one route, you embark on a lengthy quest of no soon return, which might be catastrophic for your team if you picked the wrong way. also connecting these "wings" by teleporters creates strategic routes and headgames and juking... which is always cool in ctf. if not overdone, i mean. also it wouldn't be a bad idea to add more of those windows you have at a few places to make the map less mazey. it kinda feels like you wanted to do more of them, but didn't have the time/energy. they'd definitely make the map... clearer and tactical instead of hide&seek and comparing reflexes.

http://www.speedyshare.com/x7wKF/32in24-12-TestingVersion1.zip

Here is the first testing version of 32in24-12. All levels are arranged in the order they were posted in this thread, with one exception: "Obvious Filler Map," which was posted after "Thanks Zero. I'm Okay." on IRC, and thus is MAP34. The only differences in these levels from the versions originally submitted in this thread are that I rebuilt the nodes on "This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man" and "Mark It Zero" because they had zero-byte REJECT lumps, plus I fixed a stray blue flag on "Mark It Zero"; and that I fixed minor bugs in "Meatwad Goes to the Super Bowl," "Flag Island," and "Mudman Wonderland" concerning player starts and flags in the wrong bases.

Apart from that, get ready to use this for testing! Special thanks to everyone who made these levels! Great work!

GOD FUCKING PANTS DAMN IT
Seriously, someone needs to PM me or something when the next one happens. I had time to work on it, too.

We miss you Bucket :( Maybe if someone needs to bail on next session this Sunday you could work on detailing, rebalancing, or bugfixing?

There seems to be problems with missing textures CTYSTCI4 and METLT02, in maps 09,10,11, and probably a few more.

Also, there are blue lights near the red flag in MAP12 (Hamburglar Hill) :)

Sweet maps. I installed Odamex for this

Shaikoten said:

We miss you Bucket :( Maybe if someone needs to bail on next session this Sunday you could work on detailing, rebalancing, or bugfixing?

I won't have computer access Sunday, so he can work on my map if he wants.

bucket you wanna do detail on stewboy's map? i'll be gone so i wont have time to finish it

I have a few too many red flags on map34 (hurf durf) Both of those are meant to be spawns of their respective base color.
I also forgot to change the team oriented textures in the red base on map12. BloodyAcid pointed this out already

dew said:

Solarn - Face to Face

i had very little time last night, so i just pointed out the obvious, now i had a second look. this will be totally frantic and hopefully fun, however. the plasmas can be grabbed by jumping into the crates from the ground level, dunno if that was intended, but it will mean a lot of spammmmmmm. also i know the RL is quite hard to get, but it still allows you to rocketjump easily from flag to flag. this is considered a showstopper at most times, so i'd suggest to ditch the RL entirely, put plasma at that spot and instead of plasmas, use something you won't mind players will bump-grab from the ground level. :) the only cool jumping trick that should be kept is jumping to the "green armor" elevator from the shootable elevator, then to the flag (or vice versa, although there's that walkover line making that harder... which is a good thing for slowing down runners).

Hmm... I never noticed the plasma thing, because I forgot to test the map using jumping. The rocketjumping thing I knew about, but it is a bit cheap, now that I think about it. How about if I replace the RL with a plasma like you suggested (and the rockets with some other ammo) and the plasmas with super shotties?

Ralphis said:

DRINKIN THAT HATERADE

ANYONE WHO PUTS >40 MB OF MUSIC IN DM WADS NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM COMPILING ANY WADS. SERIOUSLY. IF YOU WON'T CHANGE YOUR WAYS I'LL HAVE TO RESORT TO EXTREME MEASURES
xD

The Green Herring said:

I rebuilt the nodes on "This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man" and "Mark It Zero" because they had zero-byte REJECT lumps

So what? Don't they still work? Performance impact of not having a reject should be approximately zero.

Solarn said:

How about if I replace the RL with a plasma like you suggested (and the rockets with some other ammo) and the plasmas with super shotties?

that should work just fine. and it might be hilarious to watch people throwing themselves en masse at those crates, haha.

tempun said:

So what? Don't they still work [with zero-byte REJECTs]? Performance impact of not having a reject should be approximately zero.

It's not for performance reasons, but because some source ports will crash if the level they're trying to load has a zero-byte REJECT lump. This, at one time, included Odamex. I've taken to fixing zero-byte REJECTs for safety reasons.

tempun said:

Please clean the junk from the wad. 20mb is too big.

Somebody needs to clean their tempun.