Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

2002ADO demos [-complevel 3]

Very nice run and indeed under 4 minutes is possible, another possible challenge to take note is maxing the first episode in under 30 minutes, with the speed of some of these new demos, it's certainly not out of reach this target. Unfortunately it is probably out of reach for me.

vdgg said:

Enough of E1 Max runs, time for a new E3 Speed run (hint,hint)

It's on my list along with e3m2 pacifist (hard and frustrating as hell, I died three times after getting yk) and a true episode 3 max. E3M3 max isn't nearly so bad with the backpack, chainsaw, and rockets from the previous level. I was able to exit with over 200 cells in my attempt. I also tried e3m1 pacifist (probably impossible unless someone comes up with a grab or line skip for rk) and e3m3, which I think is easier than e3m2 pacifist style.

Edit: Forget what I said about e3m1, I just realized a silent pacifist could work

Thanks for the silent pacifist idea. :)

E3M1 Pacifist in 3:01

Now I'm thinking of doing E4M8 but I'm afraid that this part is almost impossible. Barons refuse to step on blood (damn block monster lines!) and I can't press that switch through them even with iddqd. To kill one of them you'll have to be very very lucky...

a3d1p301.zip

Memfis said:

Thanks for the silent pacifist idea. :)

E3M1 Pacifist in 3:01

E3M3 Pacifist in 1:38

No problem! Thanks for the awesome demos! Funny how you skipped linedef for the closing bars at the end of E3M3.

Memfis said:

Now I'm thinking of doing E4M8 but I'm afraid that this part is almost impossible. Barons refuse to step on blood (damn block monster lines!) and I can't press that switch through them even with iddqd. To kill one of them you'll have to be very very lucky..

I would think with all the cacos around you could take one out fairly reliably, but I haven't tried so maybe I'm wrong.

Well, one problem is that it's hard to make all cacos attack the same baron, but I guess it can be done. I'll try it with saves for some more time to determine how difficult it is.

E2M8 UV-Fast Pacifist in 0:54
Should be fun to watch with IDDTx2. :)

a2d8fp54.zip

Springy said:

E1M1 UV Pacifist 0:19.

the preferred file nomenclature for such a demo is a1d1p019.

dew said:

the preferred file nomenclature for such a demo is a1d1p019.

My apologies, I will use the correct name in the future. Here is my stroller demo in 0:38.

a1d1str-038.zip

Here's a small trick on e1m5 that I haven't seen used before, the demo was just done for the trick but it happens to be 2 seconds faster than my old nomonsters demo.

a1d5o122.zip

NoobBait said:

E2M3 in 3:30

that was nice, i enjoy maxes where health management is secondary to time. :)

I played 3rd episode speed (4 years ago, can't believe how long ago it was...), so I can only confirm that 1:05 in this steeplechase is pretty impressive.

Maybe getting the berserk would be better? It takes less time and perhaps it will take down imps in tight rooms faster. Not sure though, to be honest I was never 100% sure what weapons are more efficient in Doom 1 (I don't think chaingun is always better than shotgun?).

I think I tried berserk + punching and it was just certain death later (too exposed to imps' scratches). Possible, just unlikely.

Yeah, it's quicker (I think) but considerably more difficult. I'm gonna try it for a while but I'm not sure if I'll manage an exit.

Just an addendum

(I don't think chaingun is always better than shotgun?).

I assume one shotgun shot per second for calculation simplicity (it's just a very, very little slower).

With minor monsters I would favor the shotgun. Example: a demon/spectre gets killed in about 1,7 seconds with the chaingun. The last shotgun shot doesn't count as it is instant and you're free to move on, so you have 1 second in a 2-shot kill or 2 seconds in a 3-shot kill. In the end, shotgun is preferable.

With 400 HP (caco) you only are faster with the shotgun when you manage a 5-shot kill. 4 seconds sg vs. 4,55 seconds cg. Normally it's 5 seconds sg vs. 4,55 seconds cg, though.

With 500 HP and more chaingun for sure: mancubus: 8 seconds sg (9 shot kill) vs. 6,8 seconds cg.