Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Sparta.wad - three maps (limit removing) - Bugfix to make maps complevel 2 again

Here is a quick three map wad I decided to make, it uses only vanilla features but due to quite a lot of detail, a limit removing port is advised. Just a note, all the maps are pretty long and fairly difficult at times.
Map 19 (Battle For Sparta) - City based map inspired a little by Vile Flesh Map24 (uses the same music for now)
Map 20 (Citadel Of Champions) - Set on an island fortress, non linear map which might seem like a mash up of Maps 20 and 21 from doom 2.
Map 21 (Into The Supernova)- A map I made for another project but I removed it and put it here. Typical hellish map whose layout is inspired from a level from Quake. I added an icon of sin battle which should be too hard to figure out, plus I hate the rocket in the hole games anyway.
I made an ending map (but it's crap haha)
http://www.mediafire.com/?3kffw6pagfe138c

Basically tell me what you think and any fixes (bugs I missed or gameplay wise), I will probably upload this to idgames in a week(ish), cheers.

My really really lame FDAs. On MAP19 I accidentally arch-vile jumped out of some building (through the sector 1166), so I used rerecording but died later because I was careless with rocket launcher. On MAP20 the final battle looked so insane that I shamefully skipped it. btw I thought that some SUDDEN ARCH-VILE traps were a little unfair: often there was barely any time to react. On MAP21 I ran out of pistol ammo so I couldn't activate that G1 switch lol. I'll try again later.

I'm not a big fan of such large-scale architecture but these maps were fun to play, especially MAP19 - really neat Vile Flesh tribute. :)

pic - harmless PE here (lost souls can't fly through the fence). How about something like this instead?

I had a quick look through and my, I'll certainly be dedicating time to play these. :) Looks to be some good fun.

Thanks Memfis, I will try to edit the traps in certain areas of map20. Also I notice that I had not put any health/ammo in the building which starts with the large room with the red carpet, quite shocked there haha. That's fixed now, just the traps on 20 to do. And area you highlight has been edited, the metal grate is now a small brick wall, the two monsters below are moved towards the door to give a chance of them seeing you before you drop down there.

I already download it, I liked all three maps, but the one I liked most was the Map 19, I liked that
Open spaces, all I can say about this map is
excellent.

In my opinion, it was very good.

I really like city levels and map 19 really stood out of the three.

Had a blast playing through this mapset.
Hope you make more of these :)

One nitpick - I ran out of ammo in map20 in the first hallway with the hellknights. You should add some shells in there.

Thanks for all your positive comments :)

Ven said:

One nitpick - I ran out of ammo in map20 in the first hallway with the hellknights. You should add some shells in there.

Hmm where about is this, I can't recall placing a hellknight corridor that early in this ma, though my mind is jumbled up by this map by now.
I also edited the final battle, the flying monsters take to long to teleport so changed them and cleaned up the teleporting a bit. I also edited a certain area of the map where Memfis skipped a trap not once but twice.

Hello, here's some FDAs (warning: pretty long, I die a bunch, doesn't reach exits, but they do make decent progress into each map (except 20)): http://www.mediafire.com/file/38ao7hpdw4cghe2/spartaFDA_ribbiks.zip

Commentary:

map19: Had a bit of fun wandering around the city-scape, most of the traps were pretty fun, I particularly enjoyed the trap with the AV and company right after the red door, especially because I was low on ammo, had to kill the shotgunners so I could get enough shells to take down the vile. Good stuff! My playthrough kind of went to shit after getting the BFG though

map20: Fairly punishing 'gotcha' type area. I wandered around a bit, dying a few times, didn't have quite as much fun on this one.

map21: My favorite of the bunch (maybe I'm just a sucker for that music). I made it up until the blue key (cleared the initial slaughter, then hit a couple switches and was raped by AVs), and had a lot of fun getting there. Plenty of good traps, and I liked how you come back to that one main area to get the yellow key. Ammo balance seemed very good.

Overall: Simple architecture, but good gameplay. Maybe tone down a few traps, though if I was playing with saves (or was familiar with the map) it would've been fine

Thanks everyone, I've made an updated file for this wad
http://www.mediafire.com/?balzc05942dbbru

Map 19 - Things Memfis spotted have been addressed. Ammo/health bare room in map19 has been fixed, now has some health and ammo. Few bugfixes I spotted
Map 20 - little ammo and health added to the ssg building. Some of the traps have been altered to make them less cruel.
Map 21 - Made journey from blue key to blue door a little harder, especially on uv (this is after you re-enter the fortress), extra detail added in places and some bugfixes including a few missing textures.

If everything is fine I will upload this to idgames at the end of the weekend :).

Played through the first map, epic stuff. I'll definitely have a go at the other 2 this weekend. Had great fun in the battle with the cyberdemon and his friends outside.

God dammit, I shall test things much more closely, and makes other comments on other wads I've made make more sense. Map20 has a boomism (yellow key trap will simply not work in complevel 2)
As a safe bet, for demo recorders, complevel 9 should best be used.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Edit, another bigger problem has come up, when doombuilder rebuilt the nodes before final release it separated rooms bound by the same sector number, hence some teleport traps don't work now (map19) I shall release this wad again.

just wanted to say I played the rest of the maps and they are bloody good fun. The graphics are a bit spartan (pun intended) in places but the massive amount of killing more than makes up for it.

Thanks for sharing and for not making the icon of sin a pain in the arse.

mouldy said:

just wanted to say I played the rest of the maps and they are bloody good fun. The graphics are a bit spartan (pun intended) in places but the massive amount of killing more than makes up for it.

Thanks for sharing and for not making the icon of sin a pain in the arse.

haha thanks, I just apologise for screwing up the first release. My knowledge of vanilla mapping grows every day :)

bugfixed version on idgames
link in bottom post, this one was wrong
Brief changelog
All monsters stuck in ceilings have been altered so this no longer occurs, meaning the walls will drop in complevel 2
Teleport traps in map 19 fixed
Gameplay in map 21 altered, making the ride a little easier though with more monsters in places.
A few visual glitches fixed