Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Gez said:

The baron of hell and hell knight have different animations from the 6-to-8 angles!

The baron's sprite lumps are BOSSA1, BOSSA2A8, BOSSA3A7, BOSSA4A6, BOSSA5, and so on for A, B, C and D. But the knight's sprite lumps are BOS2A1C1, BOS2A2C8, BOS2A3C7, BOS2A4C6, BOS2A5C5, BOS2A6C4, BOS2A7C3, BOS2A8C2, and likewise for the B and D frames. Only 16 sprites for the walk animation (instead of 20) this way, and it is more accurate too (since the A and B frames are exact mirrors of the C and D frames in the baron's case).

This is interesting. I'll have to go check this out. Wonder why the Baron didn't get its sprite frames updated too?
Also, I'll check those aliases out too! Now I can witness the true power of straferunning!

It's not a different amount of frames, it's a question of proper vs. mirrored animation:

It's easy to overlook in-game since it only affects one side of the baron anim.

I just found out that the E1 MUSs are in the (registered) DOOM WAD twice. That explains why I was having trouble importing music into the WAD (easier just to use a sourceport like DoomsDay and use external music files).

Jimi said:

The Nightmare! graphic has a little skull in the "dot" in the !

Well, I'll be - you're right

EDIT: And on that note, I think I've found my new avatar for now.

Well, the ability to recognize faces from abstract drawings is inherently pareidolic. Anyway, you could be right, but I embiggened it, and it looks pretty -- intentionally -- skull-like to me.

Could be a coincidence, of course.

I agree, it does look a lot like a medal ribbon.

Alternately, there's this version: I'm even thinking of making them all different colours, to complete the medal look.

printz said:

Must be pareidolia. To me it looks merely like a blood dripping dot.

No, it's definitely a skull. A pixel arty skull very much in the same vein as those used in textures and sprites everywhere else in Doom.

Some things on maps I didn't noticed before.

E3M3: Animated water on the ceiling. Also never remember the grey hexagon wall texture was scrolling too.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/Optimus6128/ceiling_water.jpg

E1M4: There is this thing ledge. At first I thought there could be a secret I don't know if you walk there and press on the walls. But it seems it's a shortcut to fall directly on the stairs without touching the lava. Wow!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/Optimus6128/ledge1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/Optimus6128/ledge2.jpg

Optimus said:

[ ... ]

E1M4: There is this thin ledge. At first I thought there could be a secret I don't know if you walk there and press on the walls. But it seems it's a shortcut to fall directly on the stairs without touching the lava. Wow!
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/Optimus6128/ledge1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/Optimus6128/ledge2.jpg

That ledge was put in so that the nukeslad texture wouldn't repeat since the slime room is about 192 units high and the nukeslad texture is 128. After Romero put in that thin sector he got the idea to extend it around to the yellow key room. So what started out as a texture fix ended up evolving into a rather unconventional shortcut:

Spoiler

you can actually "jump" from the stairs to the ledge if you angle your run just right.

I think this was the last major discovery I made about Doom. That, and the other floor crusher on E2M4.

E3M3 has the "skully cages" room near the beginning directed to the right that has the animated water ceiling, too. For another thing, the Chaingun room which deals with nukage, sladwall and an overlooking window from the ascending wooden hallway does have lava as it's ceiling.
And that's not all: try to grab a slight sneak peak in E4M2 when you open the blue column up - what would you see?

For some more liquid facts: there are two instances in Ultimate Doom of liquids being "badly mixed", the one in E3M3 near the BFG and the Soulsphere, the other in the way of the exit of E3M6.

ComicMischief said:

Even Archviles, though they take a while to kill with it, succumb due to a high pain chance.

Something seems wrong here...

Hellbent said:

So what started out as a texture fix ended up evolving into a rather unconventional shortcut

I never managed that route, but somehow successfully did the exit room jump, although I'm not even sure if it's a plain SR50 or SR50 + wallrun. And I only got it once. Well it's very hard to manage these tricks with just the keyboard...

Okay, according to the wiki page, that jump is only 2 units less than the maximum an SR50 can possibly yield (194 units at optimal angle of approach). So I'm not surprised I only managed it once out of 50, 100 or more attempts (I didn't count, just stopped after I started getting too frustrated).

I always ended up bumping against the sidewall of the stairs, so that's why I thought it might have affected the jump.

Also, it was physically painful to press and hold all the required keys for so many jumps. I guess someone who does the SR50 all the time would have their keyboard mapping configured more optimally. Maybe some kind of "sticky keys" program might help too. And probably a mouse makes tricks like these easier, but it's not an option for me.

Hellbent said:

That ledge was put in so that the nukeslad texture wouldn't repeat since the slime room is about 192 units high and the nukeslad texture is 128.

This must be one of the first instances of using a contextual texture in such a way. :)

Hexen doesn't have telefragging.

...as I found out last night returning from the Guardian of Fire, and being spawned inside a Chaos Serpent. Of course I was playing on difficulty 5 so I was three-quarters dead before I figured out what the hell had happened.

The painting on texture RW16_4 (wad name), a.k.a. Panel5 in the hires retexturing projects, is part from a texture of ShadowCaster.

Besli said:

Ah, thanks. And sorry for my mistake.

No need to apologise! Pretty obscure tidbit and well picked up anyway!

a) There must be ways to alter sectors even though they have neither a special nor a tag nor active linedefs. I wonder if Boom introduces features to raise/lower sectors per sector number or whatever... "eviltech" MAP19 has such doors (e.g. sectors 782, 795) which keep you from secrets but have no obvious relations to any trigger known in SLADE 2.

b) It happened very rarely, but already twice, that Lost Souls were crushed by doors or lifts while dying and left a Pool of Blood, but also a flame in Risen3D, so they kept burning after death. Certainly a port specific issue.

The Spider Mastermind's death sprite frames show Cyberdemon explosions just like barrels do! (his hoof can be seen, just like the barrel.)

One of the explosions in each frame (minus the first one and the last few) is the Cyberdemon explosion. Lazy id again...