Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!

Keep in mind you're suggesting a non-essential modification after the hopefully-really-final version has been released. :P

I had a play through some random level today (E2M9) and boy it was so much fun. A really enjoyable, classic blast in a totally original way, fighting off those bad guys and Cacos with the shotgun. It felt like playing Doom for the first time again. No doubt I cannot wait for Doom 2 the way id did and will hopefully submit a map or two.

DTWiD is almost perfect. It felt like playing Doom 1 for the first time again. It wasn't hard as hell (which is unfortunately a trend these days), but it was a bit more difficult than the original (I played it on UV, which I almost never do with WADs I've never played before). Can't wait for Doom 2 The Way id Did.

DecemberMan said:

It wasn't hard as hell (which is unfortunately a trend these days)

How is that a bad thing? You can always play on a lower difficulty.

Processingcontrol said:

How is that a bad thing? You can always play on a lower difficulty.

He said it WASN'T hard as hell.

Greetings.

As it has been discussed before, there should be another pack to be released including unsuccessful maps for the same project. If you still wanna do this, I'm ready to play them and compile another pack. Only from the leaders' (mostly Hellbent) permission.

Speaking of this, has anyone got my updated "Demonic Halls" map (the one that has a tech room behind the red door). I have the earlier version.

With so much work put into this expansion pack (including alternative music, intermission and title screens) why nobody came up with new names for the episodes? It looks like a nitpick but I believe it's fairly simple to address.

Right, where can I find the rest of the DTWiD multi-megawad? Or hasn't it been released yet?

If you mean the "lost levels", it hasn't been released yet. As far as I know Xaser is in charge of it, and he's been busy with BTSX, etc.

Also long time no see, forums!

I'd be thrilled if someone could help come up with a name for it. For some reason I've been drawing blanks constantly. D:

Xaser said:

I'd be thrilled if someone could help come up with a name for it. For some reason I've been drawing blanks constantly. D:

Vanilla Latte
More Maps About Demons and Doom
Doom the Way id Did - Part Deux
Doom the Way id Did - The Lost Levels

The Spork Was Too Big (DTWID: Rejected)

Or just TSWTB for short

I'd hate to disassociate it from the main project.

Average said:

Doom The Way Id Didn't

This proposition had actually been bumped around in earnest for a short while, if I remember, but it evolved from being a title for serious consideration to something clearly pejorative and not particularly inviting. And rightly so! I know I wouldn't want to stash my works under the banner of inferiority.

Incidentally, there are a good many maps that didn't make the cut which clearly do succeed -- at least in part -- in playing like an id creation, but it would probably be best to rethink the selling point on this matter. As a collection of maps that explores new and interesting ideas within a certain number of constraints, it stands on its own two feet quite nicely.

Agreed it should keep the DTWiD prefix to tie it to the original set. How about one of these for a subtitle?

First, I'd second the previously suggested

DTWiD: Lost Levels

A few other ideas of my own:

DTWiD: The Resurrected Levels
DTWiD: Reinforcements
DTWiD: Companions
DTWiD: Knee Deep in the Maps

For those who haven't heard of it, Doom The Way id Did (or DTWiD for short) is a 3-episode tribute to our beloved DOOM.WAD, designed not as a homage-spree but as an answer to the question "What would it look like if id had decided to create a 10th map for each episode?"

I am rather enjoying it so far (up to E1M3) - and I am old enough to remember Doom being like nothing else in videogames. Actually, I am old enough to remember Elite (Acornsoft, 1984) being like nothing else in videogames.

Should, however, I play on -fast for a decent challenge?

Should, however, I play on -fast for a decent challenge?

Yes - if I don't mind the possible cardiac event every time a pinkbeast turns up, and dying every now and then. E1M6 is a sod, with grilles opening on both sides and fireballs zooming through them at lightning speed.

I've played through this map set and gotta tell you this: you have no idea of the extent to which you've succeeded with your goal. At least for me. It felt like playing the original Doom all over again, with all the discovering, all the suspense and all the joy. I'm already 21 and hadn't started playing Doom until I was like 15, but damn, this wad pulled an impressionable little child out of me.

I must admit I didn't have so much fun even with the amazing KDiZD. And much less so with the ultra-hard megawads that are still fashionable today. I mean they do provide for fun gameplay, but being centered on the challenge so much makes the atmosphere suffer. And by playing stuff like DTWiD one feels as though he's part of something substantial, memorable, essential. Thank you so much for making this wad and I hope D2TWiD turns out equally well. I have similarly high hopes for Thy Flesh Consumed. I'm gonna cherish the wait :)

I just finished Episode 1, after having my head handed to me several times on E1M7 (-fast, remember). E1M8's very nice - definite feel of menace to it.