Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

absolute least favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

myk said:

It's about as hard as e4m2, or maybe a bit less once one has a route in mind. It's just bigger, so it might intimidate people initially.

If I survive the specters at the beginning of the hard part (when you enter the keep) then I die in the lava pit. Maybe I should spend more time on the map to learn it better. At least E4M2 gives you a bumload of plasma to work with.

Here's a run of Limbo I did yesterday as a case for the level not being that hard or tedious and to show that it is fun.

I also disliked Unruly Evil. It seemed quite pointless and a waste of time. There wasn't many interesting things in the map, and it was quite short.

I mostly dislike the secret levels except E1M9 and E4M9 (so that's E2M9, E3M9, MAP31 and MAP32). They all seem pretty lazy work to me.

Snakes said:

Oddly enough, I find that E2M5 is one of the most memorable maps from that entire episode. It's one of the few maps that has a degree of height variation and more than one memorable location.

every location in e2m4 is memorable.

hugoroy said:

I think I'm the only person who actually LIKES map08

I hate: MAP04, MAP09, E2M4 the most

Hellbent said:

map08 I play a damn lot. Not sure why... I guess cause it's novel.

The huge METAL1 nukage ring, The dwarfing COMPTILE passageways, the precarious narrow walkway, the evil red room, the vine-encrusted circular room with the spiral staircase center, the door-maze pipe room...

THE SCROLLING FACES

While having a particular interest in maps and design, I do see the general goofiness in e3 layouts/visuals that people are knocking. However, on the first playthrough these oddball things (like terrible blue fire used for walls,"human" things like UAC doors in hell, etc.) - because of these oddities I had the impression that this wasn't just a faraway hellish place or something... this was a parallel universe of some sort with different physical laws, a truly alien and fearful place.

Like the dimensionless building facade at e1m1 starting area, had this feeling of dread walking into for the first time, because it makes no physical sense. But knowing what I know now about things-that-are-visually-pleasing it could be easy to say "oh that looks dumb/buggy", but then I remember the effect it had on my first playthrough.

It's obvious everyone has a different idea of Hell, e.g. Whispers of Satan is a very well designed level set, but my immersion is broken because everything looks so good. Hell *shouldn't* look like it had art directors and architecural engineers, haha - in my perception, Hell is ugly, nonsensical, unplanned, physics-ignoring, upside-down, lawless evil.

tl;dr episode 3's design kicks ass ;-)

The Chasm. Just, seriously, fuck that map. It took me a half hour the last time i played that map to complete it. The only thing i DONT hate is the part with the overabundance of Chaingunners, i mow them down then smile, feeling like the baddest ass ever.

The chaingunner is undoubtedly one of the most badass enemies in doom. If not, the most badass relative to hp.

Yesterday I watched a single chaingunner take down an arachnotron which had taken no prior damage.

Eris Falling said:

The chaingunner is undoubtedly one of the most badass enemies in doom. ...

Fully agreed - I remember being in awe when checking out DoomII for the first time and the Chaingunner boldly made it clear who's the most badass human trainwreck.

On 8/6/2012 at 1:59 PM, Eris Falling said:

E2M4 - Deimos Lab - It's just terrible
Inferno - Hate it all
MAP05 - The Waste Tunnels - Annoying start with those hidden lifts
MAP08 - Tricks and Traps - Guess why
MAP09 - The Pit - Pain Elemntals -_-
MAP12 - The Factory - just terrible

I could even extend to TNT and Plutonia..Ballistyx comes to mind but I won't continue

Even the Doom and Doom II list probably isn't complete, I've only known the PSX for ages, just getting started with the PC...

EDIT: Yes! Map19! That was the Citadel right? Used to take me hours to find my way round that..hated every second of it >.<

Opposite side, I love E2M4, all of Inferno, Map08: Tricks and Traps is a lot of fun, and it is not unfair unlike Map24: The Chasm, and you get 2 invulnerability spheres, 2 soul spheres, and there is a lot of fun battling with several Barons (especially at the start), and it gets a lot of stuff from the original Doom, like barons, cyberdemons, invulnerability spheres, radiation suits, BFG9000s, etc.

But I completely despise that useless waste-of-time Map22: Habitat of TNT Evilution! Whoever designed the map spent NO effort and ONLY wasted their own time on making the ugliest map of not only in the game but also in the history of ALL video games, not just even the Doom series and megawads, that includes Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest, Wolfenstein, and a lot more video games, whether or not they are by id software!

29 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

Mount Go-Fuck-Yourself!

Oh yeah, can't forget about this one. To be honest, I used to hate this map because of their videos, but not now. The last part of this map is a very good example for importance of brave decision making. It's easier to dash inside and kill the Arch-vile there. If you want to play safe (or "cowardly" rather), you can be destroyed by it. Also, it's a good way to show how important planning is. I always use that Invulnerability for the outdoor area, which they both $h!t talked about and struggled with. I've completed a UV -Fast run of this map without having too much trouble, yeah, call me crazy ;P

The map actually isn't that bad if you're not trying to UV-max it I found. Yeah I agree, the final area is easier if you just go straight to the exit rather than stall around letting the lost souls swarm you. Still, practically no health and numerous hitscanners don't mix well.

In Doom: E1M4, E1M6, E2M5 (90s console version is better, though), E3M5, and E3M7. In Doom II: map 10 and map 19. While I disliked more maps before, specially those in Doom II, with enough practice I got good and started enjoying them, but the aforementioned ones I still dislike because they are boring.

Edited by Torturephile

30 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

It's easier to dash inside and kill the Arch-vile there. If you want to play safe (or "cowardly" rather), you can be destroyed by it. Also, it's a good way to show how important planning is.

Does he even give you enough time to dash inside the cave and hide from him? Last time I tried to kill him from outside, because nobody there gave me the chance to even say hello, plus I was going saveless and the map is long so no risks taken.

10 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Does he even give you enough time to dash inside the cave and hide from him? Last time I tried to kill him from outside, because nobody there gave me the chance to even say hello, plus I was going saveless and the map is long so no risks taken.

Yes, this is what people would think, so that's why I said you need to make brave decision because you'll consider your progress very valuable and don't want to take risk. BTW, I'm also talking about single segment runs, or you don't really have to consider this is a problem.

If you don't mind my Mandarin Chinese commentary for the video, check this from 22:18. This is the place in question. Also, I forgot that I also setup a "no Invulnerability" limit for my UV -Fast run, so this map is definitely not that terrible when you can make brave decisions.

Least favorite. Hard to pick, most of them are pretty good.

Ultimate Doom

E2M3

E2M9

E3M2

E3M5

E3M9

Doom 2

MAP08 (not too bad, but that exit area can be frustrating for beginners)

MAP10

MAP21

MAP25

Edited by pcorf

my least favorite in the Doom series is probably MAP21 of Doom 2, with Icon of Sin taking second place. I know E3M2 has a bad reputation, but I actually kind of like its overall visual style, even if the map itself isn't that fun to play. Beyond that I don't have a lot of true hatred for any of the maps in the series.

17 minutes ago, pcorf said:

Doom 2

MAP08 (not too bad, but that exit area can be frustrating for beginners)

The funny thing is that there's a teleporter which can take to directly to the other side. However, if you can discover this, you probably can reliably run through those falling platforms. This kind of contradicts the actual purpose of the teleporter.

52 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

BTW, I'm also talking about single segment runs, or you don't really have to consider this is a problem.

You mean, pistol starting or a specific portion of a map or something else?

I saw your that part from your video, not sure if I would take that risk, whenever I take any risks I end up worse than anything I could imagine lol