Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Tango TV [BLOODSHEDDER IS THE MAN]

Vorpal said:

Very cool project and I don't want to discourage, but the conversation format bothers me as it leads to a lot of rambling. I think strict Q&A would cut the length down a lot and be easier to digest as the listener. Also the positional audio gives me a headache.

yeah. no offense taken. i realize an hour of talking is a shitton :p

i personally would really like a chance to "redeem" myself so ideally snakes and i can set something up. i wanted it to be really lax, but perhaps this was a bit... too lax.

The trouble is more on my side, since I'm a ramble-prone guy with a really unfortunately high voice. :P

Yeah, the full interview is probably a bit hard to stomach for most, but t'was fun to do and I honestly really like the conversational style. I'd say that the same format would work, so long as edited-down versions of the interviews (containing the most interesting bits) are produced as well. So says the guy who just got done tangent-striking for an hour, of course. :P

And on that note, sorry for interrupting so much, Tango -- that was a mean. :(

Thanks for doing this, guys! It was fun for sure. I shall await the next session eagerly.

ahah. you're fine bud. i think time should be kept in mind a little more, and perhaps a sketetal "format" going into it should be used, as has been suggested. i'm eager to try this again and perfect it.

Actually I think this is fantastic. I like it specifically because it's long and ramblish. There's still lots of great stuff to gleam inbetween the tangential discussions :D. If you guys are looking for the opposite, I guess wait for my interview (if it happens). I'm boring as hell :P

Also I was surprised to hear my name mentioned at the beginning :P

Vorpal said:

Very cool project and I don't want to discourage, but the conversation format bothers me as it leads to a lot of rambling. I think strict Q&A would cut the length down a lot and be easier to digest as the listener. Also the positional audio gives me a headache.

Heh, yeah, we could have reined it in a little more. I'm not sure if it was the formatting that was flawed or if it simply wasn't concise enough, but it does have the potential to lose the listeners' interest without the necessary marshalling of discussion. Xaser's ramblings are hella' interesting, though!

Also, I interrupted his eminence host Tango far, far too much. Possibly to the point of rudeness. Sorry about that, I'll try not to loose myself too often in any future interviews...

Speaking of which, I'd love to do another! That is, if the community doesn't cry out in protest :p

indeed. your fluency would be wonderful to have for another interview. sign up :p

i think what would perhaps help the format is keeping it down to 2 people in the conversation. not that anything is inherently wrong with a 3 person interview, but i quickly realized that with alfonzo being more outgoing than myself, he was going to do more of the talking heh. and then there's also the issue of interrupting, but that was partially my bad too :p

I'm guessing it's safe to assume there won't be any transcripts. Thought it was too much to ask.

Joshy said:

I'm guessing it's safe to assume there won't be any transcripts. Thought it was too much to ask.

nonononono. sorry i had forgotten to respond. there will definitely be transcripts, i'm not leaving you in the dark bud :p

just gimmie a few days. or, on the other hand, if anyone else is interested, be my guest. otherwise i'll work on trimming the audio, making the channel, uploading, transcribing, etc. within the next few days and this weekend.

Thanks for fielding my questions, Xaser! Your answer about the Hacx question was especially insightful and reminded me of some conversations I've had with essel and his efforts for Back to Saturn X. And also thanks to Tango and st alfonzo for getting the ball rolling on this, I really hope to see this become a regular feature here.

I enjoyed listening to the full interview and didn't really feel it was rambly or excessively tangential at all. Part of the appeal of this format, in my opinion at least, is it's stream-of-consciousness nature, which helps to humanize the community a bit.

Lastly, I'd like to do one of these interviews as well but as a warning I'm pretty introverted and tend to be very curt conversationally so hopefully I could be paired with an interviewer/interviewers that would be prepared to ask some follow up questions to keep me talking.

Tango said:

nonononono. sorry i had forgotten to respond. there will definitely be transcripts, i'm not leaving you in the dark bud :p

just gimmie a few days. or, on the other hand, if anyone else is interested, be my guest. otherwise i'll work on trimming the audio, making the channel, uploading, transcribing, etc. within the next few days and this weekend.

Sorry if I sounded like a twat, I just had 4 hours of my lectures cancelled today because there was no captioning/interpreters booked, and it's happened frequently. Never fails to get me into a rotten mood, heh.

Anyway, very much appreciated, and am eagerly looking forward to reading redundant comments. ;P

Joshy said:

Sorry if I sounded like a twat, I just had 4 hours of my lectures cancelled today because there was no captioning/interpreters booked, and it's happened frequently. Never fails to get me into a rotten mood, heh.

Anyway, very much appreciated, and am eagerly looking forward to reading redundant comments. ;P

damn :\ must be tough. i will most definitely try to be accomodating though, so no fears! just... give me a few days heh heh

skillsaw said:

Lastly, I'd like to do one of these interviews as well but as a warning I'm pretty introverted and tend to be very curt conversationally so hopefully I could be paired with an interviewer/interviewers that would be prepared to ask some follow up questions to keep me talking.

perhaps alfonzo would be a good fit then? of course, anyone else interested is encouraged to give it a shot, but if both of you would be good with that then i think that'd be a good pairing.

oh heh, sodaholic ninja'd me. uhhhh decide amongst yourselves!

skillsaw said:

I'd be glad to tell you when to stop shutting up. :P But no, seriously, I'd keep it going with relevant questions, I'm good with stuff like that. :)

I think what I might do is create a timetable of when I'm free for conducting interviews (maybe Tango can prop it up in the OP), and so if anyone doesn't mind my style or thinks it might even be compatible, you can drop me a PM with a time that suits you best and we can set it up that way!

With no offense meant to anyone wanting to do interviews here, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me for the show to be traded off to a different person every week like what's planned here. Among other things, the lack of a consistent host to run it makes it kind of impossible for the show to evolve out of its current awkward growing pains and into a more comfortable format.

Beyond that, though, the setup of having anyone be able to interview anyone seems to totally defeat the point of the series, I think... Anyone can already ask anyone else whatever questions they feel like on the forum; it's basically what discussion threads are.

Tango and St.Alfonzo really know their stuff when it comes to playing Doom, mapping for Doom, and talking about people and trends in the community, and they both have interesting personalities; I'd be far more interested in a series featuring one or both of them rather than whoever feels like showing up and asking somebody questions on a given day.

It would make more sense for other interested parties to organize their own show.

st.alfonzo said:

I think what I might do is create a timetable of when I'm free for conducting interviews (maybe Tango can prop it up in the OP), and so if anyone doesn't mind my style or thinks it might even be compatible, you can drop me a PM with a time that suits you best and we can set it up that way!

Not a bad idea to make a chart like that. I'll be free tomorrow, but I'm not available from 4-10 pm EST for three days after that.

esselfortium said:

Beyond that, though, the setup of having anyone be able to interview anyone seems to totally defeat the point of the series, I think... Anyone can already ask anyone else whatever questions they feel like on the forum; it's basically what discussion threads are. Tango and St.Alfonzo really know their stuff when it comes to playing Doom, mapping for Doom, and talking about people and trends in the community, and they both have interesting personalities; I'd be far more interested in a series featuring one or both of them rather than whoever feels like showing up and asking somebody questions on a given day.

Agreed wholeheartedly. While it's obvious that the conversational flow could have been much more natural in this first interview with Xaser (seemed a bit one-sided between tango and alfonzo), it was still very entertaining to listen to. I think this "show" would work a lot better if the hosts remained the same with each interview as they would eventually learn to bounce conversation off of each other and the interviewee much more naturally as they became more comfortable. If we keep seeing new interviewers with each session, all we're liable to get is more awkwardness.

esselfortium said:

With no offense meant to anyone else, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me for the show to be traded off to a different person every week like what's planned here. Among other things, the lack of a consistent host to run it makes it kind of impossible for the show to evolve out of its current awkward growing pains and into a more comfortable format.

Beyond that, though, the setup of having anyone be able to interview anyone seems to totally defeat the point of the series, I think... Anyone can already ask anyone else whatever questions they feel like on the forum; it's basically what discussion threads are. Tango and St.Alfonzo really know their stuff when it comes to playing Doom, mapping for Doom, and talking about people and trends in the community, and they both have interesting personalities; I'd be far more interested in a series featuring one or both of them rather than whoever feels like showing up and asking somebody questions on a given day.

hm. a fair point. alfonzo brought this up to me earlier via pm, suggesting maybe we could do it more like an actual "show" and have regular anchors, so to speak. being the big jerk that i am i would actually quite like to be able to conduct many of the interviews myself.

this is also something i was immediately thinking of after the interview with xaser. i could see that this type of thing would take some getting used to, but with every new pair of people, that's two more people that need to start from the beginning and get used to it all again.

I concur with Essel with the consistent host thing. Not that I wouldn't want to deprive anybody of wanting to be an interviewer, but I'm listening to the Xaser/st.alfonso/Tango one and I kinda like the ramble-y format and informed discussion, but it could be punctuated more with questions. I'm not minding it too much, though - it makes for really good background banter/talk radio.

hm. in that case, Mr Freeze, i don't want to screw you over completely when you volunteered to do us a favor. any ideas?

also, perhaps i'll split up stewboy and Sodaholic then? i'd be more willing to have Kristus and Khorus interview each other, since they're already bffs and on speaking terms and whatnot.

I suspect that you'll have more people interested in being interviewed than doing the interviewing (I'd fit in that group, for instance). So sticking to a core pair of interviewers probably won't be a big deal.

And if there are people who really really want to ask the questions, they could do so along with one of Tango or st.alfonzo, so there's still an experienced hand involved.

I agree completely. Two hosts actually work pretty well. There should be three people: a main one, a part-time one, and the interviewee. Best dynamic is the straight man/comedian/guest type of setup. It will probably evolve into that anyway, naturally.

That was awesome. I enjoyed the format and especially the rapport you guys had. It is clear you are all friends and fans of one another. Thumbs way up. I just wish it was longer. And I am humbled by the praise! All sentiments are shared, most certainly.

You're far more stubborn than I Xas, just for the record :P

NaturalTvventy said:

That was awesome. I enjoyed the format and especially the rapport you guys had. It is clear you are all friends and fans of one another. Thumbs way up. I just wish it was longer. And I am humbled by the praise! All sentiments are shared, most certainly.

You're far more stubborn than I Xas, just for the record :P

YOU

you need to volunteer for an interview buddy :p

One or two regular hosts and a rotating co-host spot would probably work best. For example, Tango and st.alfonzo, Tango and someone else, or st.alfonzo and someone else for each episode.

Consider using something like PodBean; I think YouTube would be overkill. It would also glue you to a computer more than being able to, say, download an MP3 file directly would. (Yes I realize you can download a YouTube video and put it into an MP3, but that's just one more extra step.)

Put me down for a potential interview, please. :D Hearing Xaser's was excellent, insightful and informative, even if only a few of the community questions were asked. I'm really excited at the prospect of answering a few questions myself, although time probably won't permit me for a month or two.

As for the format, I wonder if we should just forego the questions entirely and just have the participants ramble for an hour. :P It might be a bad idea to constrict the format to the point where it no longer feels conversational. Maybe the community questions could in fact be asked live - we could all join a Skype group and the non-interviewees could use the chat window to pose their questions.

Just downloaded this and checked the first minute or so to make sure it was working (I hate and distrust Mediafire due to how much effort downloading something from it seems to be for me). Initial impressions are that st.alfonzo sounds roughly how I'd imagined (maybe a little less posh :P ), Xaser's voice is surprisingly-high pitched and it doesn't seem like Tango will be getting much air-time :P When I've got a spare hour (after work) I'll have to check this out, as it seems like fun.

If there's a place for me in the grand scheme of Tango TV I'd be glad to give it a go, although good luck understanding my nigh-impenetrable South-East London accent! I'll also need to wait at least a week (which I doubt will be an issue) to go to my Dad's house and get my laptop back, as it'd be my Skype machine and I've been too lazy to carry it back to the place I'm renting near work.

I've only skimmed through this thread, but what essel said about regulars on the show seems like a sensible suggestion, either as mediators/main interviewers or just as an anchor to give the interviews some consistency.

This was surprisingly good. I thought it was a great idea from the start but thought the raw audio version might have been rambling, awkward and full of gaps but it flowed really well. While it did go off topic regulary it was always interesting and st.alfonzo did a great job of reigning the conversation in when need be. Tango was less prevelant but that's probably just because he couldn't get a word in!

Xaser was a great first subject. His off-topic tangents were quite humorous I thought and he took pressure off the interviewers by being thorough in his answers and being readily willing to expand, minimising dead air.

It was alltogether insightful and entertaining. I hope you keep uploading the 'raw' first versions for the other spots as I would have felt like I missed out had I only heard the edited version of this one.

I originally thought I might just read the transcripts and ignore the audio but I'm converted. Good job everyone :-)

thank ye all for the kind words. Jimmy and Phobus, i'll put you guys on the list, and i suppose it'll be either me & alfonzo or one of us separately with a guest or something, but we'll sort that out.

BS: ah, thank you. not a bad idea at all. i'll probably end up slapping it on youtube as well, but that option seems far more convenient for some