Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Why Doom 3 would suck on idTech5

GoatLord said:

To those who find Soda's thread useless: I learned something today. He said that "idTech5 bakes everything into it's textures, the lighting, the normal maps, the whole shebang." I've been wondering why Rage somehow looks worse than Doom 3 in some respects. This is not only extremely disappointing, but why the hell would id take such a giant leap backwards in this regard?

Considering how bad was the performance of Doom 3 on most systems in 2004, it is possible that Id wanted to do something new, that looks better but isn't extemely resource demanding.

I'm willing to suspect that the console ports of Rage being considered as primary platforms for the game was a large influence in that.

Considering it's been said that portions of id Tech 5 were backported to id Tech 4 for the Doom 3 BFG Edition, I'm wondering if such a merger can be considered a good balance of the best of both worlds. Or maybe what I'm saying is complete nonsense.

What I'm curious about is what PARTS of id Tech 5 did they port? I have a hard time imagining that they used any of the megatexturing stuff, I'm more willing to bet that maybe they used the scripting side of things instead, or perhaps just the base of the id Tech 5 renderer, not counting the megatexturing parts. I hope that they abandoned the text format in favor of binary instead, since the text based maps caused things to load very slowly.

DooM_RO said:

Considering how bad was the performance of Doom 3 on most systems in 2004, it is possible that Id wanted to do something new, that looks better but isn't extemely resource demanding.

But Rage doesn't really look better. It looks different, but the astounding lack of shadows in so many areas makes it looks WORSE than Doom 3, in terms of lighting.

GoatLord said:

But Rage doesn't really look better. It looks different, but the astounding lack of shadows in so many areas makes it looks WORSE than Doom 3, in terms of lighting.

I think it's a matter of perspective, really. One one hand you could say that RAGE looks bad because of low res textures and poor shadows(which is very valid!) but on the other hand, each rock and scrap of metal is unique and if you look at stuff from afar, it actually looks REALLY good and it makes me sad to see RAGE being beset by so many uneccesary problems as I think it is a great game with great gameplay mechanics and shooting. The thing is that Id implemented this tech at the wrong time.Had blu ray disks been commonplace at the time of its release, I imagine things would have turned out very differently.

I hope we will see more stuff from id that is not necessarily much better textures or models but something that actually makes playing more fun like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hmaHj6mpT0k .It would be cool if every monster could be killed in a unique way: if I blast an imp's arm with a shotgun, it should explode and then show it trying to stop the bleeding with his other arm.

It also seems that Id tried to correct a lot of the problems Doom 3 had with the gameplay. The guns are perfect in RAGE, from sounds to shooting to the upgrades and shooting enemies is very rewarding. The way I see it, Rage got rid of many problems in Doom 3 had but also lost the graphical fidelity of Doom 3. I think both games are good(better than most) but that is exactly the problem: good is NOT GOOD ENOUGH when it comes to the inventors of the FPS and rightfully so. Id made a lot of mistakes with their previous games, mistakes they should have avoided and COULD have avoided and if Doom 4 is to be a memorable game, it has to take the good stuff out of both games and take it up to eleven because that's what is expected of them.

DuckReconMajor said:

Doom 2 with megatextures would suck

up all my money

I couldn't imagine playing Doom with fifty billion texture pop-in every time I moved.

Well uh... new info. DOOM 3 BFG Edition will be running on a heavy amount of RAGE tech (id tech 5) they actually improved the id Tech 5 they fused id tech 5 with id Tech 4.... and they made the input control respond SUPER fast. So now the game will feel fluid and smooth just like RAGE did. I loved RAGE. It was a good id Software game.

idSoftware981 said:

Well uh... new info. DOOM 3 BFG Edition will be running on a heavy amount of RAGE tech (id tech 5) they actually improved the id Tech 5 they fused id tech 5 with id Tech 4.... and they made the input control respond SUPER fast. So now the game will feel fluid and smooth just like RAGE did. I loved RAGE. It was a good id Software game.

You have a source for that information?

For the drama earlier about realtime lighting and Megatextures. Actually. Doom3 got megatexture support already in it. It's an early version of it of course. but still. it's there and can be made to work. Then there's the ETQW version of the engine where mega texture is more developed and are functioning. This engine does have real time lighting like Doom3 got. But also it doesn't use night day cycles so the mega texture which is only used for the game's terrain in this case is never really put into any situation where a normalmap is necessary.

Now as for id Tech 5. it uses Megatexrtures for EVERYTHING. even the things that are being lit in real time. So it uses megatextures for normalmaps as well.

There's really nothing inside the game as far as I am aware that limits the engine from using Normalmaps on every surface. Making Doom3 in Id tech 5 could actually work out very well for the game. Granted, the usage of megatextures in Doom3 isn't what would make the engine shine. But it should still work to let the game load higher resolution textures than the ones seen in Doom3. But that's of course based off of speculation on my part.

It's nice with the tech upgrades they made, But all the changes to the levels they talk about almost sounds like they made the game worse.