Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acid

C&C: General 2 "AAA" title going f2p

The announcement of Command and Conquer: Generals 2 going free to play shocked the gaming world, including us. We talked with EA's Play4Free main man Sean Decker to find out why the publisher made this surprising decision.

The strategy series Command & Conquer will become free to play. You can download the game, that's build in the Frostbite 2 engine (the same one from Battlefield 3), for your pc. Decker didn't tell us how EA will make money with the new Command & Conquer. For now the game does not have a story mode, so Kane will not be there. Gamers will choose a faction and need to fight eachother.

*** Official description ***
The best-selling Real Time Strategy franchise of all time returns with the official first look at the new Command & Conquer, powered by Frostbite 2. Command & Conquer features the familiar strategic, fast-paced action gameplay along with cutting-edge visuals, sound and realistic destruction -- all free to play.

In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It's up to you to assume their roles, command of their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0310PLvlZqM

--------------------

Thoughts? I wouldn't mind taking a swing at this, but the lack of a campaign makes it a bit worse. I guess that's why it's d2p.

Nice, shame that they've ditched campaign mode but I seriously can't wait. I absolutely love C&C. I really hope they make Red Alert 2 F2P as that imo was the best.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the campaign mode in an RTS? Skirmish is where it's at for me. I just enjoy jumping straight into it, building my base and armies and blowing shit up.

Anyway, this sounds pretty cool. I wonder how they're going to make money from it though, and what the catch is. A "bare bones" version of the game for free, and then charging for DLC?

DoomUK said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the campaign mode in an RTS? Skirmish is where it's at for me. I just enjoy jumping straight into it, building my base and armies and blowing shit up.

Anyway, this sounds pretty cool. I wonder how they're going to make money from it though, and what the catch is. A "bare bones" version of the game for free, and then charging for DLC?

You won't be the only one who doesn't. I would imagine that they would release multiple DLC for the game in order to make some money yes.
EDIT: Article from the 9th, is this true? http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/9/3304825/command-conquer-will-have-single-player-after-all Judging by this there might be a campaign.

Dang, what a surprise. I like the first game and the expansion, play it often with unofficial patch 1.6, it really saves balance.

This game will suck because there is no way they can balance a free to play RTS game.

I mean how is this going to work? Will some players have certain units or buildings that others won't because they did not pay for them?

The whole idea of making a RTS game free to play is retarded. The only good way to make an RTS game is to give all players the exact same version and then charge them the same for it.

hardcore_gamer said:

This game will suck because there is no way they can balance a free to play RTS game.

I mean how is this going to work? Will some players have certain units or buildings that others won't because they did not pay for them?

The whole idea of making a RTS game free to play is retarded. The only good way to make an RTS game is to give all players the exact same version and then charge them the same for it.

Good point well brought up. Some people will just get it without the DLC's maybe they should've made the campaign F2P instead of making that DLC and the mutliplayer part bought or just made the whole game P2P instead of one part F2P and the rest paying for.

hardcore_gamer said:

Fail. You can easily make a free to play RTS, such as Age of Empires Online. The way it works is that you can play the full campaigns for free using a limited version of Greeks, Egyptians or Celts while earning (or buying) "empire points." You can then use those points to either unlock the full civs, buy "pro civs" (these are the same, except they don't have a civ-specific campaign), buy new game modes (skirmish, horde mode) or buy vanity items. Even though the game has gear and consumables, practically all multiplayer is done using a so-called champion mode where none of those things matter and everyone is equal.

The only limitation is that you need to actually own an unlimited civ to play it in champion mode or you need to be invited to play by someone else. But it's still a free to play RTS game with balanced multiplayer, so there. :P

I think F2P will definitely be a good way to go for alot of games which come out. It gives people a try of the game fully. It's abit like the doom shareware version, that was a hit. It was so good people wanted more levels, more monsters, weapons etc so people invested in the game. Alot of games have pretty shit demos nowadays so a F2P approach might bring it back.