Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Modern Games that you do like?

NiTROACTiVE said:

There are plenty of modern games that I like such as Wii Fit Plus

Is that even a game?

Harmata said:

Oh, i wanted to get Hard Reset ever since it was released, don't even know how i didn't manage to do it to these days. Can also recommend alpha demo of Retro Blazer, at least first playthrough will be packed with action. Then novelty may wear off, tho: retroblazer.com

I might give it a go when it's finished. I don't really like playing unfinished games unless it's for the purpose of beta-testing. The colors are also a bit too vibrant for my taste.

Max Payne 3
Prototype
Alan Wake
Just Cause 2
Saints Row 3
Bulletstorm
Hard Reset
Serious Sam 3
Alpha Protocol
The Witcher 2

While I could list plenty of modern games that I like (not "modern" as in 5 to 10 years old) I can't help noticing that none of them managed to keep me glued to the screen well past 4 am like Jagged Alliance 2 did when I dug it up after trying the Back in Action shitfest.

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

bunch of shitty games

Troll post?

EDIT: RTCW was not shitty of course. And Rage had a lot of things going for it . But it was so poorly put together as a whole, making it extremely shallow and kind of depressing.

AS MEMBERS OF DOOMWORLD YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE ANY MODERN "GAMES". DOING SO IS PUNISHABLE BY BEING FRAGGED 50000 TIMES BY A ZDAEMON GRIEFER IN A ROCKET ARENA MAP AND BEING ONLY ABLE TO READ CSONICGO'S POSTS IN POST HELL!!!

Doom Marine said:

Post invalidated by this alone.

What's wrong with people having different tastes? I mean, some people might enjoy drinking bleach.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Pretty good, but I was annoyed with the fact that a Nazi could still run around even after being shot in the face.

Wolfenstein (2009) - Much better and more realistic than RtCW. I actually liked the health regen feature...come to think of it, regenerating healh is less realistic compared to searching for first aid kits.

A lack of exploding heads would be a small sacrifice if Wolfenstein 2009 was anywhere near as good as RtCW.

I haven't played all that much, but from what I have:

• BioShock - the setting, atmosphere, and story were all good enough to make me forgive all of its shortcomings gameplay-wise
  • Deus Ex: HR - avoids a good number of modern pitfalls
  • Portal 1/2 - creative and entertaining
  • Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess, haven't played Skyward Sword, and seeing as they reverted from that fantastic art direction, I'm not that interested to
  • Torchlight - yep
  • Total War - the entire series is fun for me
  • Super Mario Galaxy - I'm a bit iffy on this one as it was a severe drop-off in quality from Mario 64, but its setting and physics helped it stand out
A few others had stuff going for them but for one reason or another (HL2, etc.), but like I said, my experience is rather limited and I don't really care enough to seek out others unless I really really want to (SEE: ROTT)

chopkinsca said:

What's wrong with people having different tastes? I mean, some people might enjoy drinking bleach.

What's wrong with people condemning other people's tastes? I mean, some people might enjoy drinking bleach, but that doesn't stop others from calling them a retard.

pilottobombadier said:

I disagree. Duke Nukem Forever was extremely funny.

Maybe if you're 12 years old.

Doom Marine said:

What's wrong with people condemning other people's tastes? I mean, some people might enjoy drinking bleach, but that doesn't stop others from calling them a retard.

What is wrong is that it's fallacious to equate a foreign taste in games with drinking toxic chemicals.

I squee'd like a little bitch when Torchlight 2 came out. DOesn't matter, had ember. :V

Super Jamie said:

I have also held this opinion for a while now.

I didn't like most games in the late 90s to mid-00s because the focus was on multiplayer and graphics more than gameplay. There were definitely some gems during this era (HL, GoldenEye, AvP, the Castlevanias, Need For Speed High Stakes) but they were diamonds in a very large rough.

FTFY

Doom Marine said:

Some say that playing Duke Nukem Forever is like drinking toxic chemicals, your argument is invalid

Well I'm here to tell you they're wrong. It's a closely guarded secret, and that's why there's all this negative publicity around DNF. The truth is that every time you get to a new level in the game, a garden gnome jumps out of the screen, slaps you in the face, raids your fridge, and leaves $500 next to your kitchen sink.

Some of the ones that I like and play the most:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Pretty good, but I was annoyed with the fact that a Nazi could still run around even after being shot in the face.

Wolfenstein (2009) - Much better and more realistic than RtCW. I actually liked the health regen feature...come to think of it, regenerating healh is less realistic compared to searching for first aid kits.

Who cares about Realism when it comes to Wolfenstein? The very basis of the game/franchise is unrealistic: Mecha-Hitler, Nazi Zombies, Black Magic, etc.

It's like comparing the Nazis in Indianna Jones to the Nazis in Schindler's list.

sgt dopey said:

Is it wrong if I liked DNF?

It just means you have tragically bad taste in games. You have my sympathies.

Huh, I'm pretty sure shooting them in the face would kill them instantly, this game did have headshots.

Wolfenstein (2009) - Much better and more realistic than RtCW.

I didn't really find killing soilders from 2 or 1 body shots at all realistic, I remember using a certain extraction tool to extract files and in the script files I found the soldiers to have health values like 10 or 15 and guns like the mp40 and mp44 had damage values like 7 to 10 damage.

Duke Nukem Forever was a good sequel to Duke Nukem 3D.

PUT DOWN THOSE PITCHFORKS, HEAR ME OUT.
Duke Nukem games, at least in the main series, share gameplay with whatever genre was strong at the time.
Duke Nukem I & II were made when platformers still had a strong grip on video games. Duke 3D was made when Doom was the top game. Duke Nukem Forever was released during this period of grey-brown linear gritty shooters.

Don't get me wrong, DNF was shit, but it felt like the next step of the series, it's just that step had a rake with a landmine tied to it.