Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Easiest way to increase all floor and ceiling heights? (in an editor)

I'm making a vanilla compatible map in Doom Builder 2. The map is already enormously big and complicated. Unfortunately, for some reason I started making the map "very low" (I mean, floor heights below -128) and some parts of the map goes even lower. Recently I found out (here that there's this bug - moving floors don't work right if floor height is below -500. I'm afraid this bug will occur in my map (I need to make more underground parts and go even deeper). The solution might be to "move the entire map up" - increase all floor and ceiling heights by a certain amount (128 or 256 would be enough). I can go to visual mode, select all floors and ceilings one by one and then move them up. But the map is too big and it would take... a pretty long time of tedious work. So, is there any easier way?

(To make it absolutely clear - I want to move the entire map up in an editor, NOT in the game. So my question is related to Doom Builder 2 and NOT to vanilla features.)

I cannot do so. My map contains a lot of sectors of different floor heights. If I did it like you said, I would set the same floor and ceiling height to all of the sectors. But that's not what I want. I want to move all heights by a certain amount. If the floor height was 0, I want to change it to 128 and if it was 128, I want to change it to 256 at the same time. Sorry, your suggestion cannot help me.

Slade2 (and I would imagine DB/DB2) has a series of keys to increment floor, ceiling or floor and ceiling heights by 1 or 8 units. So you simply select all the sectors and press the appropriate key (in Slade2's case 'ALT+.' to go up or 'ALT+,' to go down 8 units.

You can enter relative values in Doom Builder 2 by prefixing the value with ++ or --, eg select all sectors and enter "++128" for the floor and ceiling heights to raise all sectors by 128 units.

Since you're using Doom Builder 2 -

• In Sectors mode - zoom out until all of your map is visible in the 2D edit window.
  • Starting from a point outside the map, click and drag a box to enclose the entire map. Releasing the mouse button will select all enclosed sectors.
  • Place the mouse pointer on any sector and use Shift+ScrollUp (mouse wheel) to raise the ceilings in 8-point steps.
  • Then use Ctrl+ScrollUp to raise the floors by the same amount.
  • De-select the sectors when your happy with the result.

Yadex has a function to raise/lower all the selected sectors by X units (rather than make them identical). Maybe that same code is in other DEU-based editors also. You could try WinDEU, the original DEU 5.21 under DOSBox, or Yadex via Cygwin.

Worst case scenario: xwadtools has a map decompiler (wadldc) that produces a plain text file you can edit via a custom script/program (ideally a language that includes regular expressions), and then recompile the map (wadlc) and bsp it, and you're done.

Don't know if xwadtools builds on Windows though. Well it used to build on DOS, so it should... Or maybe it will work under Cygwin or something like that.

Foxpup, it works! And your method is probably the easiest :). And after some studying of Doom Builder 2 controls I found out that traversd's method may also work, even in classic (not visual) mode - Ctrl+MouseWheelUp for floor height or Shift+MouseWheelUp for ceiling height. (EDIT: As GreyGhost said, thanks)

My problem is solved. Thanks a lot to all of you!