Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakiSoft

Did you know you can make your own FPS game very easy?

As title says. There's an program called Raycasting Game Maker that you can get here: http://www.bithandler.homepage.bluewin.ch/indexrgm.html
With this program you can make your own games without drawing a single line code. Games are in Wolf3D/Doom style. It's some kind of remake of Wolf3D Engine. You can try it if you wish. I recommend you to first go to Help file before using this program. It teaches you which resolution sprites should be and which resolution HUD Weapons should be. Try it if you wish. ;)

Seems neat, but I want a little more. If only there were a dedicated community to assist with modding for a more advanced engine. Say, the Doom engine.

Snark aside, this could be neat for things like 8-Bit Killer (which was short but I enjoyed it a load). I just don't see an awful lot of scope in the format past something like what Blake Stone offers.

They don't even show any screenshots? Just a hunch, ZDoom's probably better for creating an interesting FPS from scratch than this, both in terms of visuals and features.

Yes, but level editing is so easier than in Doom Engine. There's an fanmade game: http://www.helldoom.com/ i don't know who is author, read .txts. Game is not bad. There's also some Doom/Heretic/HeXen wads to download along with game itself. :)

Something like that. But am thing is missed from Wolf3D. A Pushing walls, but you can up to 5 enemies and 6 weapons and 10 decoration objects. 40 textures, 20 flats and cellings per level. 20 doors per level.

kristus said:

Wolf3d got pushing walls.

Yes, but this engine doesn't have that option. :( Anyway guys try HellDoom game. :)

kristus said:

So it's like Wolf3d, only worse.

But this one support 6 weapons, 5 enemies, 10 objects, 40 textures, 20 floors,cellings and doors per level, etc.

That isn't a lot of those things, though. I guess such a limited environment can at least help someone focus on the initial step needed to make a game -- making it play in an interesting fashion, but it's not of any real use beyond that, unless you like blocky games with a small handful of things.

Also, it's real annoying that there aren't any screenshots or whatever showing how the game making process actually works. And it's also real annoying that I can't seem to find any screenshots that aren't full of ripped graphics or anything of the sort (once again, if you're focusing on making gameplay work I guess the ripped thing could be overlooked, but from the projects I've seen this isn't the case)

Who cares. 40 textures? Big whoop. Wolf has 64. Five enemies? Let's see in Wolf: Dog, Guard, SS, Officer, Mutant, Fake Hitler, that's five already and I haven't added the four Pac-Man ghosts or the six bosses. (Not even counting the Spear of Destiny enemies here.)

No, if I wanted to make a game on a Wolf 3D-like engine, I'd look here. Five enemies? How about unlimited enemies? If you want, say, 1275 different monsters, the only thing stopping you is your patience coding them in. Six weapons? Likewise, you can have hundreds of weapons and the only thing that'll make you remain at a reasonable number is sanity, if you have any. Floors, doors, etc., whatever -- there's no hardcoded limits. And creating content is as easy as on ZDoom. And yes, pushwalls are there.

Here's the tech demo. You couldn't make that in your raycasting game maker.

LakiSoft said:

But this one support 6 weapons, 5 enemies, 10 objects, 40 textures, 20 floors,cellings and doors per level, etc.

So does this.

EDIT: damn , Gez beat me to it!

Ah, great, helldoom contains a virus that will destroy my computer, thanks for don't even make me download it, google chrome!

Anyway, messed around with that Raycasting stuff and i made this. Just messing around and the first monsters in the library is the most bastard monster ever...

EDIT: Csonicgo, but that music from that wolf3d level you posted the video isn't the same theme used from spirit world?

The biggest problem with doom engine is that you can't use it to create commercial stuff, you are better off with Unity/Source/UE3 on that.

alterworldruler said:

The biggest problem with doom engine is that you can't use it to create commercial stuff, you are better off with Unity/Source/UE3 on that.

ZDoom is under some non-commercial licenses; but if you use a GPL port as a base instead, then you can perfectly well create some commercial stuff.

Heck, you could take GZDoom, remove the OPL emulator (MAME license), remove the entire software renderer (bits of Build license), claim the original Doom/Heretic/Hexen code is the GPL version, and acquire from Firelight the "Casual 'Low Budget'" license (it's $500) and you could then legally sell a small indie game based on your GZDoom fork.

Gez said:

ZDoom is under some non-commercial licenses; but if you use a GPL port as a base instead, then you can perfectly well create some commercial stuff.

Heck, you could take GZDoom, remove the OPL emulator (MAME license), remove the entire software renderer (bits of Build license), claim the original Doom/Heretic/Hexen code is the GPL version, and acquire from Firelight the "Casual 'Low Budget'" license (it's $500) and you could then legally sell a small indie game based on your GZDoom fork.

That is nice idea. :)

Did you know you CAN'T make your own FPS game very easy (sic)... and expect it to be any good at all?! Seriously, the Wrack engine has basically been done for how long now - and yet the game isn't done? It's not like once you have an engine it's "Welp, guess the game is all done! It's not like levels/design/textures/sprites/graphics/music/sound/models/animations/etc. are important or take any time at all to make!"

FPS players emphasize engines WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

You get all the resources with Doom and still takes a long time just to make an episode worth of levels that are any good, let alone a "full game" of 32 (D2) or 36/45 (D1/UD) maps.

PRIMEVAL said:

You get all the resources with Doom and still takes a long time just to make an episode worth of levels that are any good, let alone a "full game" of 32 (D2) or 36/45 (D1/UD) maps.

27/36 for Doom. Heretic, though, goes up to 45. (And Hexen can go to 99 maps.)

Carnevil said:

So very true. I'm going to be happy making an FPS with the Doom engine, you know? Of course, it'll be a while -- I ain't doing this shit alone, so I'm waiting for a friend to get to grips with Doom Builder. Then I'm Mr. Resources and he'll be Maps Guy.

Gez said:

I'd look here.

Absolutely! I'll definitely want to get this brand new never-before-heard-of port once it finally supports mods such as End Of Destiny and official clones such as Blake Stone.
Meanwhile, it looks like I better stick with DosBox and wait it out.

Carnevil said:

Hence why I don't bother purchasing any of the professional crap which was created after the 1990ies in this particular industry. Amen.

DarkJedi188 said:

Absolutely! I'll definitely want to get this brand new never-before-heard-of port once it finally supports mods such as End Of Destiny and official clones such as Blake Stone.
Meanwhile, it looks like I better stick with DosBox and wait it out.

The problem with Wolfy mods is that every single extensive one, like End of Destiny, needs its own executable, and the code for that executable often isn't available. That's why ECSWolf has the potential to be revolutionary, but it also means you're going to have to dig into those mods and recreate all of their custom stuff if their authors aren't willing to convert them themselves or release their code.

End of Destiny is particularly bad and in need of a conversion because it runs terribly in DOSBox. No matter what I do, I can't get that mod to run at a reasonable framerate. The only way I was able to play it was on XP with VDMSound.

DarkJedi188 said:

Hence why I don't bother purchasing any of the professional crap which was created after the 1990ies in this particular industry. Amen.

Oh look, yet another "everything modern is bad (and everything during my childhood was great)" post. Your loss.

Dragonsbrethren said:
End of Destiny is particularly bad and in need of a conversion because it runs terribly in DOSBox. No matter what I do, I can't get that mod to run at a reasonable framerate. The only way I was able to play it was on XP with VDMSound.

There's a SDL version. Despite it being a beta release, I've never had any problem playing it. Looking again for a download link I found this one: http://www.veracottis.co.uk/EOD4SDL_BETA.zip see if it works, I don't remember If I downloaded from there.

Also, there's 2 SDL versions of Spear Ressurrection (another great wolf3d mod) that can be found on the official website: http://www.areyep.com/RIPandMCS-Spearres-Main.html Be sure to play the "ORIGINAL MAPS" before the "NEW MAPS" if you never played SR before.

Dragonsbrethren said:
Oh look, yet another "everything modern is bad (and everything during my childhood was great)" post. Your loss.

Agreed.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Actually, his gain. The extra money not wasted on "new" FPS games can go in savings account, or spent on other hobbies. If he truly enjoys and is satisfied with the countless possibilities offered by the Doom engine & ports, there is no good reason to keep constantly searching for something "better" (and have to keep buying new hardware to play them, and spend time learning to mod them, and figure out all the engine bugs, etc.)

Masterpieces such as Thundra, Ethnic Cleansing and ZOG Nightmare were made with FPS maker kits. Go ahead.

Gez said:

27/36 for Doom. Heretic, though, goes up to 45. (And Hexen can go to 99 maps.)

Yeah, my bad lol. Was in a hurry didn't think it through.