Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradcoe

Id Anthology

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking around these forums off and on for a while and trust this is the the best community to ask.

I am thinking of selling my Id Anthology (opened but including everything in good shape, including the t-shirt). Currently, it is just sitting on a shelf and I figure its time for someone else to enjoy it. The problem is that I have no idea what a fair price to ask is (I have heard everything from cheap to ridiculously expensive) or where I should consider selling such an item. I don't think craigslist would hit the right audience, and I'm not sure how many people would search ebay for an id anthology? I live in both the US and Canada so selling in either country works for me.

I have a few low quality cell phone pictures here.

Any help to determine a fair price would be greatly appreciated. Also I am willing to consider giving someone a good (within reason) deal if I know it's going to a good home ;)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Brad

bradcoe said:

and I'm not sure how many people would search ebay for an id anthology?

They come up frequently enough that there are bidding wars. I recently got a copy in similar condition (seller said the other shrink wrap basically disintegrated over the years) myself for $160. Of course part of that was due to the seller having 0 feedback I think, so it's possible to fetch a little more.

One thing to check that might boost the value is see if the Doom CD has the rare patched TNT and Plutonia.

Blzut3 said:

One thing to check that might boost the value is see if the Doom CD has the rare patched TNT and Plutonia.

My Doom CD is greenish and has the Mastering code:
IFPI L531 *04-10252-2 X6C12F (The *04 and onwards being inverse form the back of the CD) I have seen posts suggesting that the mastering code can tell you the version, but my code does not match the ones I have seen.

Do you know if there is anyway to confirm the version that represents? Perhaps there is an easy way to check the files? (I never actually used the CD as I have other copies of the Doom disks)

Thanks for you help,
Brad

I want the t-shirt!

The greenish CD is a good sign, are the file and folder names all in lower-case?

bradcoe said:

Perhaps there is an easy way to check the files?

Open the CD's "final" folder and compare the wad file sizes against those in the Wiki pages. Both updates are dated 27-Nov-1996 on my CD.

GreyGhost said:

I want the t-shirt!

The greenish CD is a good sign, are the file and folder names all in lower-case?
Open the CD's "final" folder and compare the wad file sizes against those in the Wiki pages. Both updates are dated 27-Nov-1996 on my CD.

Thanks for the info.

all files/folders are in lower case with Nov 26th 1996 file dates for the .wads

tnt.wad
Nov 26 1996 8:17:04am
MD5:1d39e405bf6ee3df69a8d2646c8d5c49

plutonia.wad
Nov 26 1996 8:15:56 am
MD5: 3493be7e1e2588bc9c8b31eab2587a04

the doom.log shows:
TITLE: DOOM CD COLLECTION FOR ID ANTHOLOGY
BUILD#: 2
DATE: 11/20/96

So according to my reading it sounds as though this should be an un-patched disk. Although based on the post from Enjay @ http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/47749-tnt-map31-officially-fixed-in-some-versions/ the same date and time have the fixed yellow key in tnt. Strange...

* Update added MD5s

bradcoe said:

tnt.wad
Nov 26 1996 8:17:04am

plutonia.wad
Nov 26 1996 8:15:56 am

the doom.log shows:
TITLE: DOOM CD COLLECTION FOR ID ANTHOLOGY
BUILD#: 2
DATE: 11/20/96

Can't account for the difference in datestamps, unless Windows is adjusting them to compensate for timezone differences. Looks like you have the update, if they were the unpatched v1.9 wads they'd be dated around the 6th of June. Log's basically useless and is probably best ignored.

Wow, yea... but who knows? Check and see if it sells. I picked mine up for near $100 a few years ago.

That price is definitely at the upper end of expectations, would be a bit more acceptable if it was still shrinkwrapped.

I have a pristine condition Id Anthology like yours that I acquired about a year ago off eBay. It cost about £160 (~$250 USD). I think I got quite lucky though - $400 is quite high but doesn't surprise me too much.

Am I the only one who thinks that the $400 price is ridiculous? Even $20 for Ultimate-Doom and $20 for Final Doom on id store is high to me. I am glad that I bought it for less when I was young.

Be thankful it was designed as a collector item from the very beginning, and that you can still buy the actual IWADs for dirt cheap (used floppies, CDs, etc.) If you're into other hobbies, like say tabletop RPGs, wargames, boardgames, etc. there are some things you just can't obtain at all without shelling out beaucoup moolah. A well-known example would be the original printing of the AD&D Deities & Demigods book, which contained material that was removed from later printings. Basically, any kind of book that had a low print run many decades ago has the potential to be super-expensive. Of course, now much of that has been scanned into PDF, so you can technically print the info and play (if the scan's any good and prints legibly), or even just read on the screen (only downside is it's not as handy to quickly flip around the book, as pages take time to render).

I used to collect that kind of stuff a long time ago, but pretty much gave up after losing my collection several times over, for various reasons. It was a pretty big collection too, several thousands of $$$ worth of books. Now apart from a few battered play copies, I'm strictly digital. I could buy the originals all over again, if I wanted to, but no longer have the desire...

Sokoro said:

Am I the only one who thinks that the $400 price is ridiculous? Even $20 for Ultimate-Doom and $20 for Final Doom on id store is high to me. I am glad that I bought it for less when I was young.

As Chungy says, it's a collector's item, but there are a couple of other factors that are also relevant. The Doom wiki claims that there were only 10,000 sets manufactured - I don't know what the source of that is but it seems plausible, and limited availability will drive up the price due to the laws of supply and demand. There's also the fact that many of the sets are incomplete: people wore the t-shirt, stuck the poster up on their wall, etc. It's common to see the Book of Id and the game CDs sold separately for much less (example) - presumably because the other components of the set have been lost or discarded. Because of that, sets that are actually complete and in an undamaged condition, like the one in this thread, are much more highly prized.