Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

PRIMEVAL said:

I've played Slayer to Dooming before. It works fine for me. Metal in general works for me. And comparing screaming to metal? I don't see the similarities. We're talking about metal riffs, not the vocalization of Screamo / 'hardcore' groups.

I'm not saying make the whole soundtrack Metal, no. I'm saying a Metal riff is fine for a battle. Worked well in Unreal against Space Marines, worked well in Quake 2. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I like it. I'm not overestimating anything.

I know the difference between screamo and metal, I've been a metalfan for the last 15 years or so.

I compared it to screaming because a chaotic thrash metal soundtrack would have a simular effect on the player (remember, NOT everyone playing Doom is a metalfan!).

Quake 2's soundtrack is made by Sonic Mayhem by the way, which is industrial rock (not comparable to something like Slayer in the slightest).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Mayhem

DoomUK said:

I think you meant to say Quake 2. Unless you're defining the whole of Quake (1)'s soundtrack by it's metal-ish title theme.

No, I meant Quake 1. But come to think of it, that's correct. It's certainly closer to metal than Doom, but still not metal in the traditional sense of the word.

Agentbromsnor said:

Wasn't Quake 1's music more industrial-ish, with the Nine Inch Nails soundtrack?

I never got the CD-version of Quake so I wouldn't really know, but I did look up the soundtrack on YouTube.

Most of it is ambient drones, not that dissimilar to PSX Doom's music really. I've always been torn on which I liked most, and there's also Quake64 to consider (also composed by Aubrey Hodges, of PSX Doom fame).

...and apparently this is turning into a "Is X metal?" thread :p

It depends really on what iD are trying to do with Doom 4.

I've played both Doom 3 and Classic Doom 3. Obviously Doom 3 had the scary ambience, cDoom had that pwnage by Sonic Clang.

Both have their pros and cons, but the difference that is made by music is massive and can heavily alter the gameplay

For example, I when playing Doom 3, I'll (and bear in mind I suck at it) see a zombie and go "Aw geez, -runs back-"

-imp spawns- "NOOOOOOOOO"

However on Classic Doom 3 I'd see an imp and run straight through it, muttering 'Die Bitch' as I went.

DoomUK said:

Most of it is ambient drones, not that dissimilar to PSX Doom's music really.

Heavy, ambient drone-type stuff is more or less what you can expect from Trent Reznor. Not saying that's bad, because it fit Quake's otherworldly setting perfectly. Quake is also one of the many game soundtracks I listen to when I'm mapping as well.

Eris Falling said:

Both have their pros and cons, but the difference that is made by music is massive and can heavily alter the gameplay

Very true. I never realized how much the ambient sound did for Doom 3 until I played some custom levels that had NO ambient sound at all. The difference is staggering.

Why not something more orchestral/ambient, like Jeremy Soule - that guy pretty much shits awesome soundtracks, and he's displayed great respect for the theme of every game he's worked on.

schwerpunk said:

Why not something more orchestral/ambient, like Jeremy Soule - that guy pretty much shits awesome soundtracks, and he's displayed great respect for the theme of every game he's worked on.

If there's one thing I'm definitely sick of as much as I'm sick of music that dynamically changes with the game action, it's orchestral-type soundtracks. They use them in practically every big theatrical release, they need to stop using them so much in games. I don't want Doom 4 to have a score like Crysis 2 or something a big summer box office hit would have. Doom is dark, gory and violent with heavy occultic themes, and that isn't something that type of soundtrack would match very well.

Here is what doom 4 needs!

EXTREME VIOLENCE/GORE
CREEPY MUSIC
POWERFUL WEAPONS
MANY DIFFERENT MONSTERS
FAST MOVING MAIN CHARACTER
HOLD SEVERAL WEAPONS AT ONCE LIKE THE OLD DAYS!!

Really, just the old games redone with todays graphics. I mean, the problem is todays games are all graphics and no fun. Make it simple and keep it fun. The old doom games, I play over and over and over. DOOM 3 maybe played 2 or 3 times. Most new games I play once and never pick up again.

So basically, you're saying id should not strive to be innovative at all, and just do a copy-paste of the old games onto id Tech 5. By the way, most of the things on your list Doom 3 had as well, save for the fast moving player character(debatable) and creepy music(although Doom 3 did good job with it's ambient sound), so I don't know why you disliked Doom 3, or didn't care for it like the older ones.

That is true, DOOM 3 did have creepy music but then again I never said it didnt ;) I was just saying the things I wanted for DOOM 4, thats all sir.

Not trying to take away from Doom 3, it was just a different type animal.

actualy I think that some fistfull of sinister deathmetal stylish soundtrack could fit in at some places for example if the story goes as such that the demons catch you and torture you yet they let you live and then you somehow, escape? but generally I think that some kind of PSX abient music is what DOOM4 needs.

I just want all of the general elements that made the games so effective: Abstract architecture, demonic iconography, grotesque enemy designs, a surreal sense of isolation (owing to the PSX and N64 soundtracks), brutal carnage, straightforward gameplay, atmospheric lighting and pacing that can be as slow or as manic as the player wishes. It can feel like a "Doom" game without being a mere carbon copy of the classics.

Why are you guys so obsessed with the PSX version and N64 Version? Have you not played the original PC version which IS the original and had epic rock/metal music.

DOOM 4 should be what DOOM is....

Tons of blood and gore.

Super fluid gameplay.

Killing demons in a Satanic enviroment.

Heavy metal music blasting loud.

No reloading

And no regenerating health (medkits FTW!)

If you guys really want a sequel to "DOOM 3" then just ask id Software to make a DOOM that's as scary as DOOM PS1, N64, and DOOM 3 combined... it seems like theirs so many DOOM fans here who think DOOM is all about horror. It's not exactly horror, it's also action. That's one of the problems I had about the PSX version... some levels were so actiony but were missing the rock music... some levels were so creepy... but were missing that DOOM 64 music...

idSoftware981 said:

Why are you guys so obsessed with the PSX version and N64 Version?

Your relentless posting of "Doom 4 should have metal, and it should be like XYZ" brings to mind that idiom concerning pots and kettles.

I'll ask again:

idSoftware981 said:

Guys, I've heard id Software is trying to get Trent Reznor for the sounds and the music of the game....

Where did you hear this from?

idSoftware981 said:

Why are you guys so obsessed with the PSX version and N64 Version? Have you not played the original PC version which IS the original and had epic rock/metal music.

Because iD MIGHT decide to go down the scary route as they did with Doom 3. Now I personally preferred PSX soundtrack to PC, and there's a lot that will agree with me.

It's not of a case of what the original is, it's what iD decide to do.
I think a better question would be have you ever played the PSX version?

idSoftware981 said:

DOOM 4 should be what DOOM is....

Super fluid gameplay.

Heavy metal music blasting loud.

its not like that either

I get it.... I get it guys, all of you don't respect the original PC DOOM... besides what the fuck do I know? Even though John Carmack clearly stated he wants to make DOOM 4 more in line with the classic DOOM's... apparently you guys know more than me.... *sighs* ah well, go ahead and enjoy your scary-ass DOOM 3 sequel with slow walking, slow-ass reloading, scary-ass music, and N64 style everything.... :(

I guess I belong in the Classic DOOM section because everything I say doesn't make sense to you guys... all you guys want is a PS1/N64 sequel... I thought you already got that through DOOM 3... but OK.... fine.... anyways, I hope DOOM 4 is a remake of DOOM 2's story through modern-day standards/id Software standards.....

Caffeine Freak said:

I'll ask again:

Where did you hear this from?

ID Software said it in an interview a long time ago... I forgot what date it was. I just remember they said they want to get him back.

idSoftware981 said:

I get it.... I get it guys, all of you don't respect the original PC

Who said that?

slow walking, slow-ass reloading, scary-ass music, and N64 style everything.... :(

No-one wants slow walking or reloading either. And a lot of people prefer PSX/N64 music, doesn't mean we don't like the PC Doom. As I say before, BOTH MUSIC HAS IT'S UPSIDES, infact, I preferred Classic Doom 3 to actual Doom 3, and if I had the equipment and musical ability (2 instruments isn't gonna hack it), I'd pick up where Sonic Clang left off and do the rest of the soundtrack with real instruments.

idSoftware981 said:

I get it.... I get it guys, all of you don't respect the original PC DOOM... besides what the fuck do I know? Even though John Carmack clearly stated he wants to make DOOM 4 more in line with the classic DOOM's... apparently you guys know more than me.... *sighs* ah well, go ahead and enjoy your scary-ass DOOM 3 sequel with slow walking, slow-ass reloading, scary-ass music, and N64 style everything.... :(

I guess I belong in the Classic DOOM section because everything I say doesn't make sense to you guys... all you guys want is a PS1/N64 sequel... I thought you already got that through DOOM 3... but OK.... fine.... anyways, I hope DOOM 4 is a remake of DOOM 2's story through modern-day standards/id Software standards.....

You know, there's more than just the two extreme ends of either spectrum, and the fact that some people don't want a Classic Doom re-make doesn't mean they want another game with all the worst aspects of Doom 3. There's such a thing as having the best of both worlds while still bringing a lot of fresh content and aspects to the game.

And the reason I'm skeptical about the claim regarding Reznor doing the sounds and music is because Carmack himself was asked about it at Quakecon 2011 (I think) and to my recollection, indicated that they really hadn't ever delved into the possibility with Trent, or even had any dealings with him since Doom 3.

EDIT: And people not wanting a Classic Doom remake also doesn't mean they don't respect the original PC Doom. It was one of my favorite games in my pre-adolescent years, and remains so to this day.

idSoftware981 said:

Apparently you either have very selective reading, or you've got a very thick skull. Maybe its because of all the headbanging, I don't know.

No matter what type of music, it will NEVER have any significant change on the gameplay. The game will always be called Doom for a reason, and if you can somehow only respect that with metal blasting through your speakers then I suggest muting the in-game music for Doom 4 and headbang yourself silly to whatever Slayer album you like.

There's not only opinion, but also a realistic side to consider, which I explained earlier many times and apparently you missed it every time I mentioned it. Which is that the kind of Midi music that was composed for the original Doom games doesn't hold up for triple A video game in 2012. This is just a realistic fact that you have to accept.

Another thing that was discussed earlier is the fact that the original Doom games never even sounded particularly metal to begin with. Sure, some of the tunes were inspired by the likes of Metallica and Pantera, but thats about it. So I don't even get the connection you're trying to make between a full on thrash metal soundtrack and the more rock/ambientish tunes from the original Doom games. The most metal sounding soundtrack you're going to get out of this is the remake by Sonic Clang for Classic Doom 3.

So stop whining already.