Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

DoomCon

Every other fandom seems to be hosting conventions, why can't we? I'm not really being serious about this, but still, what if we had some kind of Doomwolrd meetup?

I think the Doom community is too few and far between for it to work. I mean there's a lot of us, but we're spread literally across the globe. Where would it be held?

Nomad said:

I think the Doom community is too few and far between for it to work. I mean there's a lot of us, but we're spread literally across the globe. Where would it be held?

I guess it could just be a North American one. Then there could be other continental ones, since it's unrealistic to expect everyone from all over to converge into one place.

Even a North American con would probably be too small to be worth it. I'd bet less than 50 people would even be able to make the trek. That's not much of a con. :/

Nomad said:

Even a North American con would probably be too small to be worth it. I'd bet less than 50 people would even be able to make the trek. That's not much of a con. :/

It'd be more of a meetup than a convention, in that case.

There will be one and only one Doom Con. Everybody shows up and only I leave.

Isn't QuakeCon like an everything-id convention? I guess it's also a sort of Doom convention.

Coopersville said:

We could set up a Losers room for the undesirables and underaged.

I wouldn't be one of those "undesirables", now would I? ;)

Any sort of DoomCon would be too small really, and nothing to really attract people. Local meetups, maybe? I dunno, I figured QuakeCon to be more in line with this.

Clonehunter said:

Local meetups, maybe?

Perhaps. JoeyTD also lives in Ohio, so we could hang out if we wanted to.

PRIMEVAL said:

Seeker and I are also Ohioans X)

Platinum Shell said:

Not too far from me it seems; I live in Michigan.

So, should there be a NE North America meetup? :P

Coopersville said:

We could set up a Losers room for the undesirables and underaged.

If there's nothing to keep us occupied except each other's company, and if online personalities are always representative of their real life counterparts, I envision a clicky crowd of people mingling with each other in one area, and a separate group of people who the first crowd doesn't like in another.

It would be like my last day of high school all over again, to which I didn't even show up. Not because of a fear of being cast into the "undesirables'" quarters, but rather not being accepted into either herd and being left in a sort of social purgatory. I think I'd pass on this even if geographical distance wasn't an issue.

You show up to the convention, but something's wrong. Broken windows, trash all over the place, it look like someone has even set fire to some barrels... Then you see it: a body under a table, some claw marks on the walls, a candelabra that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the decor. You know what this means, and hope it's not too late to shutdown the dimensional gate. Too bad you left all your weapons back home, except for that sidearm in your glovebox...

hex11 said:

You show up to the convention, but something's wrong. Broken windows, trash all over the place, it look like someone has even set fire to some barrels... Then you see it: a body under a table, some claw marks on the walls, a candelabra that doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the decor. You know what this means, and hope it's not too late to shutdown the dimensional gate. Too bad you left all your weapons back home, except for that sidearm in your glovebox...

Press spacebar.

DSWPNUP

Entering A Doomed Convetion

Nomad said:

Where would it be held?

I know for sure that there are 2 other Doomworld members asides from me who live in Toronto, so let's just have the DoomCon on our turf at the MetroConvention Center down at the old Union Station. That's where the FanExpo is held every summer and where the AnimeNorth is held every spring.
I'm sure the Americans wouldn't mind driving up north for a day or two.

DarkJedi188 said:

I'm sure the Americans wouldn't mind driving up north for a day or two.

I've heard that it's harder to get up there now, since you need a passport. Only time I've ever been to Canada was to visit the Niagara Falls, and it kinda sucked, since everything was so excessively commercialized.

Clonehunter said:

Any sort of DoomCon would be too small really, and nothing to really attract people. Local meetups, maybe?

That was my first thought, too. Unfortunately I don't know of any other Colorado Doomers these days, and I'm a bit limited as far as traveling goes right now. Otherwise the idea sounds like it could be really fun.

hex11 said:

Wait a minute, the convention is being held in Cleveland?

Maybe we should all just have a giant internet chat room meeting with video cam and all buy the sme kind of pizza and pretend we're all sharing it and have a big "LAN" party and video chat and where Doom shirts and that can be our DoomCon.

BloodyAcid said:

Canadians? I know that someone else here lives in Toronto...

You, me, and Udderdude. And then there's Technician, but I think he might be in another province or town.

Anyways, December would be an ideal month for such an event, due to the anniversary of the release and all. Maybe somebody could get a real LAN set up at the venue. But how much would the tickets cost? FanExpo's cost as much as $45 nowadays, but I'm guessing that DoomCon's tickets would be considerably cheaper due to it being so narrowly-focused.