Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John Smith

Cacowards 2012 nomination thread

BlueFireZ88 said:

I think I found the worst wad for this year (if they still do that sort of thing that is, and technically it's Sergeant_Mark_IV of Brutal Doom fame that found it).

I link the ZDoom forums to give you an idea of horrifying and theft worthy this truly is. Trust me, read the thread first.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34094

Holy shit... bring back worst wad... then give it to deathz0r to review.

Sigh... please, people, when you nominate something that has yet to be linked, provide one. For those interested:

Samsara for Zdoom

NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF THIS WAD

I will second a nomination for combat shock 2, looks great and the gameplay is lovingly crafted even if it's not everyone's cup of tea.

It's pretty much not a gameplay mod. That category is for mods that only change the gameplay (player abilities, weapons, monsters, powerups, etc.), not the maps. This one would never work on a normal level.

arg, my bad, i misunderstood the meaning of that cacoward... well if it fit in a category or not, it doesn't matter, it is still impressive to see.

Look scuba steve, i known that mod (Grezzo 2) too, actually i have the demo and i was thinking to upload on the doom picture thread, but i'll never do that coz i think to open the pandora's box....

Heh!

If with no memorable candidate for the Mockaward this year, I suggest Wads In Progress for the spot. Or at least find someway to include it in this year's "to be remembered" facts of Doom since it is not a project; it was the mother of projects :-)

This year feels like it's been pretty quiet, but I've found a couple of pleasant surprises.

It has some balance issues (most notably being balls hard, and relying on very, VERY slow health regen with almost no healing items), but I really enjoyed Hell Void/The Void Of Hell - http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16715 - very atmospheric short campaign with tons of new content. Plenty of one-off encounters with unique enemies.

Also, I'd totally be nominating this for a cacoward if it was finished, but it's only 2/3 done right now - Winter's Fury is a really impressive GZDoom campaign. It's closing in on completion, but I'm not sure if it'll be done in time for the Cacowards this year.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29304&sid=5a058a113ee142a455437256bf7d5211

From what I can tell this wad hasnt gotten a cacoward but i nominate

Demon Eclipse

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Demon_Eclipse link here

The project was recently canceled but has 2 finished episodes plus i think a half way done episode 3. Features brand new weapons + all new custom weapon sprites. The bfg sprite was even used in skulltag as the bfg10k

If this wad hasnt been nominated or won a cacoward, i *******ly think it should. It is a great all around wad with a very unique episode 2.

It's too old to be considered for this year's cacowards and it missed it's chance back when it was elgible.

The thing is that none of the DE releases have ever been announced as final. Since Cacowards policy is not to award demos and other incomplete projects*, DE was disqualified. Once a final, 2-episode version is uploaded to the archive, though, it'll certainly qualify.

(* Except when it seems unlikely the project would ever be finished anyway. RTC-3057, Hell Factory, and Vaporware fell into this category.)

I nominate Beyond Reality for a cacoward of some sort also, just for how freaking surreal it is. Well, not just that, the levels are pretty good, and the themes for the most part are quite original.

Death Egg said:

I nominate Beyond Reality for a cacoward of some sort also, just for how freaking surreal it is. Well, not just that, the levels are pretty good, and the themes for the most part are quite original.

Whoa, it's finished? In that case, seconded.

So I`m one map from completing Combat Shock 2 by dannebubinga, and I`m gonna give it a vote for a cacoward!
This stuff has kicked my ass so much, but getting my ass kicked seldom feels this good!

Death Egg said:

Obsidian said:

Whoa, it's finished? In that case, seconded.

Thirded. Not only is it original, creative and tongue-in-cheek without going overboard, it looks and plays good too.

I'm playing Beyond Reality right now and it's one of the best Doom experiences I've played this year, if not ever. Probably the best balance of new monsters, I love them all.

Episodes:
Spawn
Beyond Reality
Winter's Fury
Combat Shock 2

Megawads:
DTWID
Community Chest 4
Eviltec
DTS-T

Gameplay:
Samsara

Miscellaneous: (Can't think of a category for this, would of been gameplay if it didn't have it's own maps)
Reelism

vinnie245 said:

DTS-T (If finished - Likely)

Is there a download link somewhere or did you just nominate a wad judging by screenshots only? o_o

I'll second Beyond Reality, as it was one of the most interesting mods this year. The weirdness is actually well-integrated and doesn't detract from gameplay or balance.

Combat Shock 2 is also very pretty.

It seems unthinkable that heavyweights like DTWID or CC4 would not get a Cacoward, too.

And Reelism needs one, too. I know there's a new version that is being prepared, which might not actually be in-time for the Cacowards; but what it already available is already worthy.