Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

DoomCon

PRIMEVAL said:

Wait a minute, the convention is being held in Cleveland?

Cleveland is the city where we come from, so run run

Maybe we could have some sort of Ohioan Doomer meetup. Dunno which county/city it'd be hosted in, depends on the most convenient location for most people.

An Ohio meetup would be good for the load of Ohioans. Though Wis isn't that far away either. But what would it even consist of?

Clonehunter said:

An Ohio meetup would be good for the load of Ohioans. Though Wis isn't that far away either. But what would it even consist of?

This.

Cyberspace is probably the best place for DoomCom if you want a decent turnout, the question is whether any of the source ports are up to the job. Creating a suitable venue shouldn't be difficult, custom skins for the participants would take a bit of work and rule out some ports, actual communication (beyond punching the chat macro keys) might be the biggest stumbling block.

esselfortium said:

We can have it in Tucson, and find out who the perpetrator really is.

i think i might know who it is

GreyGhost said:

Cyberspace is probably the best place for DoomCom if you want a decent turnout, the question is whether any of the source ports are up to the job. Creating a suitable venue shouldn't be difficult, custom skins for the participants would take a bit of work and rule out some ports, actual communication (beyond punching the chat macro keys) might be the biggest stumbling block.

Skulltag/Zandronum + skype/teamspeak/vent. Problem solved?

Nomad said:

I was more thinking of sort of a real-life socializing thing, not playing the game online or anything.

Sodaholic said:

I was more thinking of sort of a real-life socializing thing, not playing the game online or anything.

Yah but in this small spread out community its more logical.

To me, a DoomCon would be a cool idea. We could have the area a Classic Doom theme with monsters and a hellish theme with it. If possible we then could have the people who worked together to make Doom such as John Romero, Bobby Prince and the others. It would also be nice to get upcoming news on future official Doom projects too.

As a part of my adherence to the bachelor lifestyle, I certainly don't mind the idea of heading out to America for something like this. I wouldn't commit to the idea until it was very concretely planned and looked like it was getting some decent attendence.

NiTROACTiVE said:

To me, a DoomCon would be a cool idea. We could have the area a Classic Doom theme with monsters and a hellish theme with it. If possible we then could have the people who worked together to make Doom such as John Romero, Bobby Prince and the others. It would also be nice to get upcoming news on future official Doom projects too.

I've always dreamed about getting autographs of the employees from either ID or Raven or Apogee.
And seeing a cosplay of a Baron of Hell or a Cyberdemon would be awesome!

You're all invited to my basement. We can play awesome social games like Smell The Rag, or see who can last in the water heater the longest!

DarkJedi188 said:

And seeing a cosplay of a Baron of Hell or a Cyberdemon would be awesome!

And all God's people say:

"FUCK NO!!"

Technician said:

Dear God please no.

Clonehunter said:

And all God's people say: "FUCK NO!!"

Ah, the bliss of being an Atheist/Agnostic/Pagan. I just sit back with a bag of popcorn and watch with amusement as the religious nuts rage and turn grey-haired in their pitiful frustrating rants. :p

Sodaholic said:

Notice that I wasn't replying to you, but to GreyGhost's post. Context, boy!

Platinum Shell said:

I think you misinterpreted that entirely man

Well, if someone truly has a problem with cosplays then they can always just go to the other side of the venue and not look at the costumes. It's as simple as that. There's no need to interfere with the fun of the people who put lots of time and effort into assembling/designing their outfits. Cause those people will always disagree with your views anyways.

DarkJedi188 said:

Well, if someone truly has a problem with cosplays then they can always just go to the other side of the venue and not look at the costumes. It's as simple as that. There's no need to interfere with the fun of the people who put lots of time and effort into assembling/designing their outfits. Cause those people will always disagree with your views anyways.

So you weren't trolling

Either way I'm throwing my chips in on 25% chance of this happening. I don't think, personally, it will ever come to light. I could be proven wrong, though.

I thought Doom already had a certain type of "group event" that was all the rage then - LAN parties?

Nomad said:

skulltag/zandronum

It should be done on DOOM2.EXE, tunneled over a telnet connection.

Nomad said:

skype/teamspeak/vent. Problem solved?

No, Closed source VoIP clients! Means you are saying "screw you everyone who doesn't use Windows, which a large chunk of Doomers do not use". And don't say Skype works on Linux, because then there's BSD, Haiku, etc.

Nomad said:

Don't know much about Skype but it appears conference calls are limited to 25 participants. Blink would be a better choice if running a conference server isn't mind-numbingly difficult.

Could always converse via telegraph!

Singing telegram, gorillagram or strip-o-gram? If we're going retro, why not morse code and slow-scan TV over IP.

You guys should just come to QuakeCon. It's already a gigantic id-related convention (I talked with Tim Willits briefly last year!), so you wouldn't have to worry about planning or having enough people or anything like that. Could just all sit in the same area of the bring your own computer area.

I was more concerned with hanging out IRL doing generic social stuff, not really so much of a total "convention". I probably should've called it a meetup instead.

So, are any other Ohioan Doomers interested in a meetup somewhere in Ohio? At first I wasn't taking the idea too seriously, but I think it'd be cool to actually hang out with some of you guys in person, so I guess I'm a bit more serious about it now.

We can call it the ODM, Ohioan Doomer Meetup. This idea's probably terrible, just as all of my ideas are. :P