Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #417

Korshun said:

I just don't get the point of playing 10x when there is RapeFactor.

Korshun said:

Only works on Skulltag/Zandronum.

You probably shouldn't answer yourself, it tend to nullify the validity of your point. :P

In more seriousness, I'm pretty sure RapeFactor is based off of 10x. So, without 10x, you wouldn't have RapeFactor. You're basically comparing DOTA to DOTA 2; sure, you may ask what the point is of the first, but you have to remember there had to be a first before the second. :P

I've tried to clear as much of the wad backlog as possible. The archive is infested with ancient maps that in my opinion are worthless due to being far too old, or apparently unfinished, or someone's first map(s). Of course, time will tell if my new reviews are acceptable.

I realise some kind of "quality control" will be impossible for the uploaded content but could you ban uploads without .txt files or something? I admit, most map authors would be happy to have their stuff uploaded without consent, but this enters that grey area that's sparked discussions/flame wars, and the old wads are rarely worth the time spent reviewing them in my experience. Even Satan's Summer House, which I liked for its pure nostalgia, was a load of cow pats.

Also can you please unlock more maps to be reviewed, as I don't want to sit through any more 10+ mapsets for the moment!!

MajorRawne said:

The archive is infested with ancient maps

Bloody hell, there are a lot! Leave some for me, I like the ancient stuff.

It's always the same muppets uploading what can reasonably be described as "crap". There are sometimes the odd gem I suppose... but what is the rationale behind uploading a deathmatch wad from 1996 that doesn't have a text file? Does anyone else think this is less of a service to the community, and more a campaign of spam? Or am I simply missing out on some basic, Doomer's desire to play stuff that is 15 years out of date?

MajorRawne said:

Does anyone else think this is less of a service to the community, and more a campaign of spam?

Might be six of one and half a dozen of the other, with the intent being to flood Terry and his clones out of the "Latest files" list. ;-)

MajorRawne said:

The archive is infested with ancient maps that in my opinion are worthless due to being far too old, or apparently unfinished, or someone's first map(s).

Who gives a fuck what your opinion is. /idgames is an archive, get the fuck over it.

INITIATING PISSED MODE!

MajorRawne said:

Or am I simply missing out on some basic, Doomer's desire to play stuff that is 15 years out of date?

Yes. Well, kinda. The wads Perseus uploaded tended to be better than what I checked out in the archive lately. I dislike the idea of uploading wads without their original text files too, but at the same time, I think it would be a disservice to not have these old wads archived.

MajorRawne said:

Does anyone else think this is less of a service to the community, and more a campaign of spam?

You've asked this question several times over and can't understand why you don't just leave it be.

The answer is some, but not all. It's always the answer you get and will continue to be so. Your opinion on the matter is well-known.

TimeOfDeath said:

Who gives a fuck what your opinion is. /idgames is an archive, get the fuck over it.

INITIATING PISSED MODE!

Thanks for that well-worded and helpful advancement of an opinion. Since you initiated the dreaded "pissed mode", of course you can feel free to TRAMPLE ALL OVER ME.

Snakes: After this /Newstuff I won't be bringing it up again, it's been a while since I did any reviews and I'm surprised my opinion is "well known" since I'm not active here very often. I'll try to view them in an unbiased light or leave them to GreyGhost, but I still think some of them are being uploaded for spam. THAT's what my actual problem is, I don't rip old maps just because they're old. EDIT: Made that underlined in case people skip it in rage.

Archive to me just means that it contains things for long term preservation. Which is what the idgames archive is.

Fair enough, the last thing I want to do is start a flame war so after this /Newstuff I'll try not to shove it in peoples' faces any more :)

EDIT: And since I've done so many reviews without one solo map to my credit, I am putting my money where my mouth is for the Panophobia project in case anyone wants to get their own back! Let it not be said that I wouldn't put my buttocks in a sling.

NINJA EDIT: @ TimeofDeath - No worries mate, please accept my apologies too. I didn't mean they're all crap, I just meant there seem to be a lot that I didn't understand why they were uploaded, but I can live with it if everyone else can :)

MajorRawne said:

Thanks for that well-worded and helpful advancement of an opinion. Since you initiated the dreaded "pissed mode", of course you can feel free to TRAMPLE ALL OVER ME.

Sorry for being a dick, but you said that the archive is infested with ancient maps that are worthless.

Doom II Reimagined actually seems like a really good homage, barring the bugs mentioned in the review. I saw the wad in the achieve but avoided playing it until I saw the screenshots because the fact that it needed ZDoom and the "Reimagined" title set off alarm bells that it would be terrible. It's not, it feels like Doom 2, I'm not even sure why it needs ZDoom. I'm on MAP05 right now, maybe something comes up later, but everything I've seen so far could be done in vanilla. The maps definitely aren't as good as the originals, but the wad's still really fun.

cannonball said:

So was mine, wait a minute by the same person, and a similar wad theme.
Strange how these things happen :P

What's on your mind?