Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zepolleon

DB1 - Door Problems

Hi there. First things first: I did a lot of practice maps which I didn't release (for obvious reasons), so I do have a little experience, but this thing right here just grinds my gears, as it was the first time it happened.

So I made this door:

That very simple simple door, using BIGDOOR2 and all. It doesn't work; it just jerks up/down when activated.

Now here's the weird thing: I tried making a door outside of those sectors, and it did work wonderfully. Whenever I merge the door to the wall though, it just jerks again.

I tried other methods, like creating two different sectors for walls then adding the third sector as a door; same result:

Or extending the two wall sectors, then adding the sector for the door, no cigar:

Note: if it helps, I did reuse a sector tag (8) from a previously deleted tag, if it helps.

EDIT: I'm using DB1 on an old laptop that can't run DB2, so there.

Are you using one of the ZDoom formats? If so you should try not using a sector tag at all and see if that does any good; linedefs with the door action automatically reference the sector behind it if no tag is set.

Are the two sectors to the left and right of the door supposed to be walls? If so, delete the sectors all together. A door typically works better when it's sides are not connected to another sector.

Well, that was quick:

Nomad said:

Are you using one of the ZDoom formats? If so you should try not using a sector tag at all and see if that does any good; linedefs with the door action automatically reference the sector behind it if no tag is set.

I used BOOM, though I'll try to remove sector tags in doors later and see if they work on Boom as well.

PhantomTMac said:

Are the two sectors to the left and right of the door supposed to be walls? If so, delete the sectors all together. A door typically works better when it's sides are not connected to another sector.

Not connected... how? Like there's a space between the walls and the door? If so, that would look weird, I don't think I understand.

And, btw, I flipped the living fuck out of every linedef in and out of the door; no luck.

The door looks like a rectangle, right? To the left of the rectangle and to the right are two different sectors. Trust me, delete those two sectors.

PhantomTMac said:

Oh, right. I'm willing to bet that's the problem right there, good call.

In other words, what' PhantomTMac is saying, is this:

Assuming those sectors (poorly) highlighted in red are sectors with 0 height being used as impassable walls, I'd suggest selecting those sectors and hitting "delete" to remove them. The walls will remain (you'll probably have to retexture them), and the space inside them will become void. (BTW, wasn't sure if that one small section in the wall was supposed to be an opening; if not you should delete that one too just because it's a useless waste of sectors.)

What's happening is that the door is set to go up and stop 8 units below the lowest ceiling next to the door sector. And since the lowest ceiling next to the door sector is 0 units high, it's going to bug out.

Thanks guys, I did remove the walls and solved the problem, though I saved another draft with a workaround (removed doors and added ceiling/floor traps instead), but PhantomTMac's answer worked like a charm. Thanks!

No problem. Glad I could help! Remember, you can always message me if you have any other problems. (I've pretty much mastered Doom Builder.)

Good luck with your map! :D