Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

You Got The BFG Edition! Oh, Yes.

Doom 3 BFG Edition has been released! Well, in the US anyway. You can grab the PC version on Steam, with a $10 discount available if you own the original Doom 3 on Steam.

I'm wondering how long it will be before Doom 3 BFG edition, or Doom 1/2, or both will turn up on Playstation Plus as one of the free games. Care to place any bets?

Eight new levels for roughly twenty USD; that's roughly 2.50 USD per level. That's not as bad as I thought it would be.

For reference, could someone with it go look in their Steam/SteamApps/common/ directory, search for NERVE.WAD there, and provide the file's checksums? MD5, SHA-1, and CRC-32, like here.

Definitely psyched about the possibility of NR4TL on PC, though I'm holding out on actually buying a copy until it's confirmed present because I'm a faithless conspiracy nut.

[EDIT] Well, here's a vid of someone extracting NERVE.WAD, so it's legit. Mega-whoop! Buying now, then. :P

Yeah you were right! :) Also the IWADs have been modified a bit like the pill stimpacks/medikits and DOOM2.WAD is missing the original titlepic. I haven't done a thourough comparison yet. They work in ZDoom, I haven't tried other source-ports yet.
EDIT: I mean compared to the original PC versions.

Da Werecat said:

Looks like they screwed up music in No Rest for the Living. I'm not supposed to hear D_RUNNIN on MAP01, right?

See this.

Were you playing from Steam or with a source port?

Just played the game in D3:BFG itself, and it indeed plays D_RUNNIN on Earth Base.

There's a bigger screwup: DOOM2.WAD has no TITLEPIC, meaning it will crash on startup in most ports.

Xaser said:

Just played the game in D3:BFG itself, and it indeed plays D_RUNNIN on Earth Base.

There's a bigger screwup: DOOM2.WAD has no TITLEPIC, meaning it will crash on startup in most ports.

Retardedly enough, the XBLA version uses INTERPIC in its place. Why?

If the XBLA version does, that explains why the D3:BFG version does, also. :P

Anyhow, I've fired off a support e-mail to Bethesda regarding the TITLEPIC issue, for what it's worth. I'd hate to have to see ports like Choco carry around a copy of it in the .exe to support a rogue doom2.wad. :P

Also an amusing twist: doom2.wad contains Betray, but it's completely inaccessible. The secret exit linedef in MAP02 is still there, but pressing it takes you right back to the start of MAP02. :P

Xaser said:

Anyhow, I've fired off a support e-mail to Bethesda regarding the TITLEPIC issue, for what it's worth. I'd hate to have to see ports like Choco carry around a copy of it in the .exe to support a rogue doom2.wad. :P

Why?

if (titlepic == nope)
{
    use(interpic) instead;
}
Maybe make that logic conditional to a -bfg command line switch or something.

For the MAP02 secret exit, it's because they didn't fork this version from the previous Xbox port. Secret exits looping back to the current level* is standard vanilla behavior.

(* Actually, the last level entered from an intermission screen, defaulting to MAP01.)

Xaser said:

Also an amusing twist: doom2.wad contains Betray, but it's completely inaccessible. The secret exit linedef in MAP02 is still there, but pressing it takes you right back to the start of MAP02. :P

This, too, was inherited from the XBLA version. The original Xbox version (from which the XBLA version is derived from) actually worked. This must've been broken, either intentionally or unintentionally, but I'm placing my bets on the latter.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I didn't see Gez's post.

*facepalm*
*sigh*

I can't believe they could screw up the PC port so badly. I mean, would it be so hard to fix those stupid problems? Lazy port is lazy. -_-" Didn't expected it from iD.

I can't find any mod section in the menu system, so I don't know how a mod could be started. I tried to run Dark Mod with it but it doesn't start.

Cire said:

I can't find any mod section in the menu system, so I don't know how a mod could be started. I tried to run Dark Mod with it but it doesn't start.

Do the commandline options work?

Bought this not knowing no rest for the wicked was included. Spun up the doom 2 and found it. I'm so excited to play it!

The doom 3 lost mission is pretty dull so far, but it's interesting how they changed the gameplay in bfg edition. I did not expect it, but it feels like a totally different game (or maybe just this level pack does?). It's a very fast pretty, smooth, action game now. It's worse, but it's cool.

LkMax said:

I can't believe they could screw up the PC port so badly. I mean, would it be so hard to fix those stupid problems? Lazy port is lazy. -_-" Didn't expected it from iD.

... Context? Seeing as most of this thread has been about discussing the XBLA Doom2 IWAD, I'm not sure what problems you are referring to.