Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hekksy

Are the iwads in Doom 3: BFG Edition Modified?

AFAIK, idTech 5 wrapper is only in the PS3 version, because it was easier to do that then to code the Doom net code for the PS3.

Avoozl said:

I don't understand why things that were allowed in games in the past have to be removed when they are being re-released years later.

? doom 1 wasnt allowed in germany until 2010, because of violence / to protect the youth. the included nazi symbols in doom II were still a problem (for the law). come on, you heard that about the strange germany. dont ask me why the publisher cut it for all countrys.

Doom 2 comes with that exclusive episode. Hopefully we'll be able to use it with some of the source ports soon.

Raptomex said:

Doom 2 comes with that exclusive episode. Hopefully we'll be able to use it with some of the source ports soon.

You talking about "No Rest for the Living"? You already can

BFG folder/base/wads/nerve.wad

Just run it with Doom 2

Oh man, there are no .pk4 files anymore. Where do I put my Trent Reznor sounds? Doom3 sounds so dull without them...

pagb said:

Oh man, there are no .pk4 files anymore. Where do I put my Trent Reznor sounds? Doom3 sounds so dull without them...

I have no idea. I was disappointed when RAGE used .resources as well.

The censorship of the wolf3d levels could be worse -- we could have this unsightly chap on all of the walls:

(this was extracted from the GBA version of doom 2, heh)

Whats the matter? Everyone knows that historical symbolism is the root of all evil in the world. Ultra-violence & simulated murder on the other hand, is completely harmless. Pfft, some people...

InsanityBringer said:

The censorship of the wolf3d levels could be worse -- we could have this unsightly chap on all of the walls:

[IMAGE]

(this was extracted from the GBA version of doom 2, heh)

Looks like Wilhelm Strasse aka Death's Head from RTCW.

Yes, the BFG edition IWAD for Doom2 is censored, especially in regards to the secret levels. Fuck that.

Mr. Chris said:

Yes, the BFG edition IWAD for Doom2 is censored, especially in regards to the secret levels. Fuck that.

Guess they were too lazy to make special versions for countries that outlaw Nazi symbolism.

Mr. Chris said:

What doesn't make logical sense is that they all of the sudden had to censor the secret levels and called them "IDKFA" and "Keen" when it had that Nazi symbolism for many of their previous ports.

Doomguy 2000 said:

What doesn't make logical sense is that they all of the sudden had to censor the secret levels and called them "IDKFA" and "Keen" when it had that Nazi symbolism for many of their previous ports.

Tuskin38 said:

Guess they were too lazy to make special versions for countries that outlaw Nazi symbolism.

They should have just deleted the maps and removed the secret exit location all together. Without the SS guards and Hitler portraits, the gag is totally lost.

Sorry guys,
but I don't understand all the fuss about this BFG edition.
What is the knack about that? We have the good old PC-IWADs which we used for many years, so who cares about this new BFG-Edition-Thingie? What is the benefit for us classic DOOM fans? And just by the way:
Do you really play the wolfenstein-levels so often, that you miss old Adolfs pics so badly? ;-)

In my eyes, the BFG-Edition is just another ripoff to make money and to keep the DOOM IP alive until Doom 4 arrives...

DoomGater said:

We have the good old PC-IWADs which we used for many years, so who cares about this new BFG-Edition-Thingie?

People care just because human beings are curious. There are differences in the IWADs, so people naturally take interest. Not that they have any interest in using them, of course, but people like to find out all the differences anyway.

DoomGater said:

In my eyes, the BFG-Edition is just another ripoff to make money and to keep the DOOM IP alive until Doom 4 arrives...

Pretty much, it's meant to keep the IP alive and to get some extra revenue to finish off Doom 4, which is their real focus. I wouldn't call it a ripoff, though. id didn't claim that this was going to be awesome, what they advertise is what you get: a compilation of all of the main Doom content, with the focus primarily on Doom 3. It's meant to address the crappiness of the original Doom 3, so it's a revised version. The Lost Mission is pretty much an incentive to get it. A lot of the gameplay is rather tweaked, actually. The maps are redesigned here and there, especially regarding where monsters spawn; it's not as cheap anymore, monsters tend to spawn more in front of you than behind.

Hmmm, when I remember, that id Softyware gave away the 4th Episode of DOOM (which makes it inti Ultimate DOOM) for free, I think the BFG-Edition should be also awailable as free upgrade to Doom3.

That makes me think... it should be possible to make a Patch for
Doom 3 1.31, which makes it into the BFG-Edition. Flashlite-Mod, some
minor changes to level design, Monster placement...

Has anybody tried to run the BFG-Version with the old Doom3 1.31 exe??

DoomGater said:

Has anybody tried to run the BFG-Version with the old Doom3 1.31 exe??

Don't think they have, yet. I'm not sure how you'd go about it, since they appear to have different data structures.

Sodaholic said:

I'm not sure how you'd go about it, since they appear to have different data structures.

Sorry, i did'nt know that:I never touched the BFG-Edition.

Since you're here, any chance of updating ladopato with these BFG IWADs?

(Also, the fixed Final Doom IWADs, too; but it's a separate issue.)

((And Heretic/Hexen.))