Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

You Got The BFG Edition! Oh, Yes.

Found yet another FAQ: http://support.bethsoft.com/ and click Games - Doom 3 BFG.
EDIT: Here are the checksums for NERVE.WAD:
MD5: 967d5ae23daf45196212ae1b605da3b0
SHA1: 3451288383fb16e196f273d9f85d58c1fda97bf4
CRC32: ad7f9292
Checksums for BFG DOOM.WAD
MD5: fb35c4a5a9fd49ec29ab6e900572c524
SHA1: e5ec79505530e151ff0e6f517f3ce1fd65969c46
CRC32: 5efa677e
For BFG DOOM2.WAD
MD5: c3bea40570c23e511a7ed3ebcd9865f7
SHA1: a59548125f59f6aa1a41c22f615557d3dd2e85a9
CRC32: 927a778a

Gez said:

they didn't fork this version from the previous Xbox port.

They didn't? I thought Quasar had already found evidence supporting an Xbox-heritage. Not that I've ever seen the evidence myself. If any technical details are actually documented somewhere, it should definitely be added to the wiki's Xbox and Xbox 360 articles.

Also, I'd like to see some research and documentation effort put into the (possible) differences between the XBLA classic Dooms and the BFG Edition ones. Might actually start on that tomorrow myself.

I'm willing to bet that the BFG edition IWADs are slightly different than the XBLA ones, if only due to the inclusion of new menu graphics for when you exit the game.

Anyway, I'm liking the changes done to Doom 3. Your flashlight runs out kinda quickly, so it still has a tense feel. That, and the areas are still pretty dark, so you definitely still need your flashlight for the areas that you did in the original Doom 3. I really like how the shotgun has a seemingly narrower spread now. Combat does feel a bit better now.

I'm totally overstocked on ammo. I don't see how on earth the original was lacking in it, even then, I wasn't too low on ammo. As long as you're not missing every single freaking shot, you're never going to run out, so why they included even more is beyond me. Probably for the console players who can't aim for shit (can't blame 'em either, gamepads suck for FPS).

Here's a good way to get the FOV you want without disabling achievements. Create a .cmd file, and load Doom 3 BFG edition like this:

start doom3bfg.exe +set g_fov 90

Wow, I thought this was released a week ago.

Here I am, in PH, just a few minutes ago saw this on the shelf on my favorite retail, got giddy as fuck and bought it.

Wonder how the lost levels would look like...

Edward850 said:

... Context? Seeing as most of this thread has been about discussing the XBLA Doom2 IWAD, I'm not sure what problems you are referring to.

Well, I was refering specifically about the classic iwads. I don't have the BFG edition yet but what people is saying (on this and other topics about BFG ed.) doesn't give me a good impression.

Xaser said:

Just played the game in D3:BFG itself, and it indeed plays D_RUNNIN on Earth Base.

There's a bigger screwup: DOOM2.WAD has no TITLEPIC, meaning it will crash on startup in most ports.

Sodaholic said:

Retardedly enough, the XBLA version uses INTERPIC in its place. Why?

Xaser said:

(...)
Also an amusing twist: doom2.wad contains Betray, but it's completely inaccessible. The secret exit linedef in MAP02 is still there, but pressing it takes you right back to the start of MAP02. :P

The last I quoted is the most stupid. A "map loop" bug? WTF? And is it a hard or expensive bug to fix? C'mon >:-\
Also, I heard somewere they changed the FOV of DooM 3 too. Why "fix" what isn't broke?

Overall it's good to have the new Doom 3 Episode and No Rest For The Living (officially) available to PC, but it still sounds like a crappy lazy port.

You aren't reading what Xaser and Sodaholic are talking about. Nothing there is inherently broken, but rather incompatible. Doom2 XBLA/BFG changes things round, and thus the IWAD isn't immediately compatible with normal Doom2 technicality's (It doesn't use a normal title-picture, yet most source ports expect one).
Doom2 XBLA/BFG as released works fine.

Also, what Xaser is talking about is more of an obscurity then anything (once again, nothing broken).
Backstory: Doom3 Collectors Edition on the original Xbox came with its own version of Doom/Doom2. In both of these, a couple of eastereggs were added, Map33: Betray and E1M10: Sewers. These made it into the XBLA releases of Doom and Doom2, but only as artifacts. You couldn't actually reach them anymore.
So anyway. What has happened here is the same IWAD was used again for Doom2 BFG, and thus the same artifact level. Once again, nothing actually broken (the switch is still there, however it's a bit of non-descript wall, so you'll only hit it if you are trying to).

As for your FOV complaint? "+set g_fov 90" in the launch options. Solved.

It's broken in the sense that the exit's still there in MAP02 and using it will warp you back to MAP02's start. But yeah, it's more of an "oh shit we didn't know this was here" sort of thing, I'd imagine. :P

For the record, Bethsoft send a 'mail back saying they've forwarded the missing TITLEPIC issue to the right team. If they actually have, might be worth crossing our fingers for a resolution. :P

Apparently there are some other issues, as well, like the super shotgun's sounds playing at 11khz despite being 22khz sounds, so they're playing in slow motion. I haven't played it myself, though, so I can't confirm. Either way, hopefully they can get the kinks worked out in an update rather than leaving it this way.

I only have two questions: (q1.:)can you use the doom.wad and doom2.wad from the BFG edition for ZDoom and all the custom wads? (q2.a:)Do you need the internet to install or use the game when buying this version? I found this line on the page: "Rage required Steam and this likely will too."... (q2.b:)do I need steam for installing doom2.wad with ZDoom and the custom wads? Thanks for help :-)!

Deeforce said:

(q1.:)can you use the doom.wad and doom2.wad from the BFG edition for ZDoom and all the custom wads?

You can use doom.wad with ZDoom and any other port.

The BFG edition's doom2.wad, however, lacks some data that ports expect to find (e.g., a TITLEPIC lump) since for some reason Nerve decided to use the INTERPIC lump instead. (And a new picture, entitled DMENUPIC, instead of the INTERPIC. Yeah, all is shuffled around.) So if you want to use doom2.wad with a port, you'll need to also load a PWAD with a valid TITLEPIC lump in it.

If you play a custom wad which features the Wolfenstein SS enemy, they will appear all weird, though technically it will work.

Deeforce said:

(q2.a:)Do you need the internet to install or use the game when buying this version? I found this line on the page: "Rage required Steam and this likely will too."... (q2.b:)do I need steam for installing doom2.wad with ZDoom and the custom wads? Thanks for help :-)!

You will probably need Steam to use the installer, yes. It might be possible to extract the wads directly from the installer's data, but that's probably not going to be trivial.

You can usually install Steam games without downloading them if you have the disc, but you will probably need to do something like this.

Gez said:

So that's why it sounds weird.

http://www.doomworld.com/vbmisc/qvid.png

(Video posted by Mr. Chris in one of the umpteen ongoing threads about the BFG edition.)

Dear god what the fuck happened here, its not enough for Bethesda to bug up their own games but to do it to ones they didn't even make? That's a new low for sure, I so saw this coming when ID was bought out by them.

This is like when Star Wars got "remastered"

It's not all that surprising. I'm pretty sure Doom95 had the same bug, and wouldn't doubt if some of the other official platform ports had similar issues. Nearly all of the game's sounds are in 11khz, but the SSG's sounds aren't.

esselfortium said:

It's not all that surprising. I'm pretty sure Doom95 had the same bug, and wouldn't doubt if some of the other official platform ports had similar issues. Nearly all of the game's sounds are in 11khz, but the SSG's sounds aren't.

I was referring to all of the problems in this release, my reaction certainly wasn't based on that of one sound effect

Herculine said:

Is it just me, or is DOOM 3 a lot easier now?

Of course it is, the entire point of this release was to appeal to the XBOX generation. Its all hand holding and gimmicks these days.

Not related to the quote, but it seems these so called remastered graphics are nothing more than, get this, CONSOLE TWEAKS!.

I shit you not, http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417534-r-lightscale-2-improved-lightning-my-a/

Xtife said:

Of course it is, the entire point of this release was to appeal to the XBOX generation. Its all hand holding and gimmicks these days.

Not related to the quote, but it seems these so called remastered graphics are nothing more than, get this, CONSOLE TWEAKS!.

I shit you not, http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1417534-r-lightscale-2-improved-lightning-my-a/

I can confirm that the Doom3 default r_lightscale is also 2. This means nothing by itself.

Herculine said:

Is it just me, or is DOOM 3 a lot easier now?

Perhaps it's because I've been running through far more recklessly due to the much needed sped-up gameplay being implemented, but I've been keeping on my toes quite a bit when it comes to keeping healthy. I must say, I'm liking it so far. The changes they made, while somewhat small, really do make a difference.

I still think that the additional ammo is pointless, I'm always overstocked.

Aside from the new Hell levels(it's really good) the techbases are kind of meh, save for a few exceptions. You should get this just for No rest for the Living though, it is awesome.

DooM_RO said:

Aside from the new Hell levels(it's really good) the techbases are kind of meh, save for a few exceptions. You should get this just for No rest for the Living though, it is awesome.

I have a hard time justifying a £20 or so download of a load of games I already have with the fact that there's a PWAD in there. I can get millions of those, some of which will be much bigger/better/both for free.

Definitely not bothering with this.

Captain Red said:

Is there a way to change the resolution?

Should be in the settings when you open Doom 3 from the game selection menu.