Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

Hide and Seek mod- Accepting maps!

This mod is, as the title suggests, a Hide and Seek mod. Make a map, realistic or abstract, add detail, and make lots of little hidey-holes.

Rules:

• You may use textures from cc4-tex.wad and now also Xtra Lites textures. You may also use any music you like.
  • No weapons. They will be unnecessary.
  • Keep in mind that this is going to be a Zandronum mod, so make free use of features like jumping, crouching, acs, and 3D floors.
  • Make a small "waiting room" with all of the player starts in it. No deathmatch starts. It must be unreachable from the main hiding area.
Note that not all of the ideas posted below have been implemented. I've made some changes since this started.

Would the "hiders" be able to move or be frozen in place once press ready?

Perhaps once ready all the hiders automatically spectate the seeker but can see all the hiders player sprites through walls (with names overhead) so they can see how close the seeker is getting to them.

traversd said:

Would the "hiders" be able to move or be frozen in place once press ready?

[/b]

They'd be frozen.

Perhaps once ready all the hiders automatically spectate the seeker but can see all the hiders player sprites through walls (with names overhead) so they can see how close the seeker is getting to them.

That'd be pretty cool.

This is a fun idea, making a map with places to hide in mind would be pretty neat. I would love to help with the mapping if this takes off (and its okay with you, of course!).

However I think it might get boring if you cannot move after you hide. But I'll have to see how it plays first.

Krispy said:

They'd be frozen.

Why? God doesn't freeze you in real life when you play hide and seek. Just count on fair play and maybe score penalty if they cheat.

also, scratch the gun idea, if you ask me, and rather code it (but you can't code! :p) so that it registers once a hider is exposed to the seekers field of vision, in the same way monsters awake when they see you. Then, you wouldn't need to freeze any players, and you could allow them to find better places to hide even after the countdown is up and the seeker is loose, much like in real-life (a long time ago's real-life, mind you...)

@Bloodyacid: Yeah, I played that before, but like I said, I want a simple version, so no fancy classes.

gemini09 said:

also, scratch the gun idea, if you ask me, and rather code it (but you can't code! :p) so that it registers once a hider is exposed to the seekers field of vision, in the same way monsters awake when they see you. Then, you wouldn't need to freeze any players, and you could allow them to find better places to hide even after the countdown is up and the seeker is loose, much like in real-life (a long time ago's real-life, mind you...)

I'd be weary of the seeker accidentally "spotting" them without actually seeing them with that system. But I still like what I'm hearing on this thread, I think I could be alright with players being unfrozen. Maybe give them a wallhack too while I'm at it to give gameplay more depth. And yes, anyone who would like to map and especially code are welcome!

EDIT: Maybe for gemini09's idea there could be a setup where the seeker needs to put the hider within 5 degrees of his center of vision to ensure that he's looking right at him. Yes, this could work.

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 open
{
Clearinventory();
HudMessageBold(s:"Selecting Seeker..."; HUDMSG_FADEOUT, 2, 0, 0.1, 0.8, 3.7);
//script to assign random player a tag of 1
}

script 2 open

{
Delay(10);
//script to get said player to activate script 3
}

script 3 (void)
{
delay(200);
SetFont("BIGFONT");
printbold(n:0, s:" \c[Green]has been chosen!");
delay(1);
}

Is this a good start?

Maybe a script that you can assign to a switch so the players in the waiting room can choose the "seeker" ie: whomever activates the switch will be the "seeker". Once clicked, tag the seeker. Teleport everyone else out into the map and start the count down.

Also, just to offer a slight change to the gametypes premise (borrowing some aspects of Counterstrike's bomb mechanics I guess) but what if the hiders went and hid bombs that the seeker had to find and then defuse (by way of standing over them for xx seconds). It is still similar in gameplay however it affords a need to not just sight a player but get to the spot they signalled ready at. Plus the timer then has some added meaning behind it. You could even put in that stress inducing timer beep as the countdown nears zero.

Once a hider has planted a bomb they then jump to the seekers view and can see all the bomb locations through the walls per my earlier comment.

The switch idea sounds good, but it could also be abused... There would need to be some sort of fail safe in case of a greedy player constantly hitting it... No, I'd rather have a randomized selection.

All right- I am pleased to announce that due to the generosity of some talented coders we may commence mapping! If you would like to map for this project, please PM me. I'll send you a rough copy of the wad and you can have your way with it.

Any mappers interested? Progress is being made but I'm still short on interested people. This map can be in your style, as crazy or organized as you like it. Think of it as a challenge. That got your attention, didn't it? :)

Try something more FUN with the level design, why don't ya?

:)

The screens look way too plain for something of this type.

Why not spice it up with a brand new texture pack?

Go with another theme than a BASE?? A theme park, a house, a mall, etc would be far more immersive locations for hide 'n seek.

I'll make a map for you.

I think you started out completely wrong, with regards to the level design...

I'm open to suggestion. I'm eager to see your maps!

Demon_Collector said:

But the coding is what i'm still having trouble on.

What are you trying to code?

I copied all the coding from the early example you PM'd me. Copied all the script, and other details in Slade. Then I did everything in DoomBuilder, such as the players and camera view and everytime I play, I do not teleport after the 3,2,1.

Another feature? Spawn (randomly or otherwise) an invisibility artifact that only one "hider" can grab per round. Would possibly make them harder to find but also add some competition amongst the hiders. Do I go hide? or race to the artifact first? If the seeker has 5 mins to find everyone, then make the artifact only last 4 or 4&1/2 mins.

Also re: level design, whilst pitch dark would be OTT, blinking dark sectors might provide variety in how to look. Ie: makes the seeker more cautious/thorough in areas where it is not 100% bright all the time.

Krispy said:

Good to hear- any more mappers interested?

Don't know that I'd call myself a mapper just yet, but I'd like to take a shot at this. Is there a player limit for the mod?

traversd said:

Another feature? Spawn (randomly or otherwise) an invisibility artifact that only one "hider" can grab per round.

Might just use a normal one.

GreyGhost said:

Is there a player limit for the mod?

We'll plan for 16.

^hehe

Can I ask how much this map is tailored for hide and seek?

On the surface, it looks like a very ordinary, old school DM wad.

OK, I'm going to have to mop up here. No, the pictures he posted are not indicative of the final product or the project as a whole. One incomplete sample is not representative of the whole. DC please remove your screenies until we've gotten along further.

To answer your question, yes, it seems he made an old school DM map, but that's not where this is going. These maps will contain detail and will be specifically tailored for hiding and seeking. I am still working on my own map for this, and I can tell you it has much detail and variety. It is not a DM map.

lol. That's cool, and I agree with you.

I think you half-assed it, Demon_Collector. I hope you at least try harder in school!

Olympus said:

Quick question krispy- will jumping and crouching be allowed?

Yes - And very much implemented! Good question.