Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krispy

Hide and Seek mod- Accepting maps!

I've never really mapping in anything more difficult than boom, but I would definitely want to give it a try, it's an awesome concept and already have some cool hiding spot ideas!

Olympus said:

However I think it might get boring if you cannot move after you hide. But I'll have to see how it plays first.

I agree, it would be more fun if you can keep moving.

Not as much fun for the seeker if hiders sneak into areas they've already searched, I'd suggest using a few strategically placed one-way or auto-locking doors (with the seeker holding the only key) to keep the game from degenerating into Herd & Seek.

GreyGhost said:

Not as much fun for the seeker if hiders sneak into areas they've already searched, I'd suggest using a few strategically placed one-way or auto-locking doors (with the seeker holding the only key) to keep the game from degenerating into Herd & Seek.

Yeh, that was my reasoning for frozen players (or hiders dropping bombs and then chase-caming the seeker). If a map has a circular/highly connected layout you could get a stalemate of sorts.

I think part of the thrill is to be able to switch hiding places.

What about making use of

walking,
running,
and footstep sounds when you run? Allow running for only 3 seconds for the hiders? Etc.

Also,

the level design should consider one other thing. When we played hide 'n seek (I shouldn't have signed up for this project, .., but I won't back out), there were places that we just didn't bother to look, and places we couldn't imagine anyone could actually hide themselves in.

I think I will focus my map on shadows, and "closets", that can be used to hide behind, on top, under, inside, etc - mixed up, with surprises in store for all, or something...

gemini09 said:

I think part of the thrill is to be able to switch hiding places.

What about making use of

walking,
running,
and footstep sounds when you run? Allow running for only 3 seconds for the hiders? Etc.

Fair point. Perhaps hiders can run to hide initially but once the seeker is active they can only walk (or as you say run in limited bursts).

So maybe something like:
- when searcher starts searching, hiders can't run
- hiders are making footstep noises when not crouching
- searchers are making footsteps noises when running (maybe different ones to not get confused)
- weapon of some kind is definitely the best way to indicate finding

traversd said:

Fair point. Perhaps hiders can run to hide initially but once the seeker is active they can only walk (or as you say run in limited bursts).

Dashing (running) after countdown is up, could leave a sound from the player running, like a hysterical child laughter full of adrenaline. Hehe.

I think my favorite ideas were the footsteps for everyone, hiders not being able to run after the countdown stops, and no chasecam.

Do you have any ideas for playtesting, BTW..?

I actually started mapping with 3D floors, and I use GZDoom, but I guess it's perfectly compatible with ZDoom too. And, I may have forgotten in the process, but if there was a detail about a specific engine, then I didn't quite catch it... :)

The reason I ask is because I don't know if anything plays GZDoom online, and that's what I personally would prefer to playtest with.

I understand that GZDoom is a pain in the butt to play online with. So we'll playtest with Zdoom. Or if you wanna get the same effect as GZDoom but online, we could playtest with Zandronum, which is still compatible with all the stuff in it so far. Personally I prefer Zandronum to Zdoom to playtest this just because it looks prettier.

Zandronum is probably the port of choice for testing, apart from access to online servers its developers are narrowing the feature gap that existed between Skulltag and G/ZDoom.

I'm leaving for a week, so I'll be pausing my mapping for a bit. I'll have it done in about a two week's time.

I used the "Extra lights" texture pack from the Realm667 site.

The map is dimensioned kind of big, but I'm keeping in mind that walking and footstep-sounds might be factors too, so I might shrink the size of the overall map later on.

Here's what I started on yesterday:

http://i.imgur.com/EoGwB.jpg

I can change the textures, if they conflict with the rest of the project.

I'm considering expanding the map "backwards" from the POV that the screenshot is taken from, and populating more of the walls with hiding places, as well as under floors, and probably in ceilings too.

I hope it looks and sounds okay, and if not, I'm open to suggestions.

So long for now.

Edit: the switch is just to remind me to possibly use them to open "closet walls". I might just cancel the idea...

OK, I got footsteps and running speed down, now all that's left to do is create a "finding" system. If you'd like to set up a beta testing server, I'll love you forever as my router won't allow me to do it myself.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the seeker will find the hiders? What will happen and what should the seeker do? I'd like to have it where the seeker needs to aim his crosshairs over the hiders, thus killing them.

And I'd like someone who's competent in scripting to please pore over my scripts. I'd hate to start a beta test and have a major complication.

Krispy said:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the seeker will find the hiders?

You can use the BFG, and just delete all of the graphics and sounds (for now).

Completely increase the projectile speed, and in practice you will have something that recognizes almost immediately when a hider is exposed to the seeker. The seeker just has to press the button to signal that he exposed him, and, again... you can put a sound sample here that says "Found you!" :)

Death in this mod doesn't necessarily need to gib someone, with blood, and all of that.....

Cool to see this going somewhere, I think I'd like to make a gothic map (yeah, do I do anything else?) with gothictx and/or ogrodtex for this, but I'm not sure what the exact guidelines are. So far I gather:

- 16 players max
- Jumping/crouching allowed (what heights? I know there's some variability in the ports)
- Zdoom/Zandronum as port of choice
- Non-circular/non-linear maps

ArmouredBlood said:

So far I gather:

- 16 players max
- Jumping/crouching allowed (what heights? I know there's some variability in the ports)
- Zdoom/Zandronum as port of choice
- Non-circular/non-linear maps

Krispy mentioned cc4-tex.wad in one of his PMs, you also need to PM him for a copy of the base map to work from.

Yup, and the scripts have been updated but you don't really need to have them. Here are the requirements for your map:

*A spawn room
*A special area that the seeker only (not anyone else) will teleport to to cross over a line and walk into the searching area (like a ledge or balcony)
*A searching/hiding area (duh)

GreyGhost said:

Can I add a night sky for my map? It might make the outdoor areas more interesting.

My map uses the nighttime sky from cc4-tex. You can change yours to that in MAPINFO.

I'll try that. Doesn't look dark enough to my eyes, though it might be a different story when I lower the sector light levels.

How is progress for everyone?

I haven't worked on mine for a while, but I'll resume and finish it soon.

In response to Traversd's concerns of our maps being too interconnected, I must admit, that I'm at place with my map where interconnecting is the only path forward, that I can see.

Also, I hope you are also participating in this project! I loved your 1994-TU map, with the Spider Mastermind appearing on that platform - and, I must be growing old, but I know you've made several "classic" maps that I'm certain that I've played and enjoyed. Darkening 2, perhaps?

At any rate.. I hope everyone's satisfied with their progress so far.

Also, I'm back to a familiar problem with GZDoom, which is that TOTAL DARKNESS is like a myth that the engine has never heard of.

EDIT: Why not post it now?

http://www.mediafire.com/?lm648ssvjt1cit4

This should be tested in survival mode with one life (with bots of course). It's a bit bulky, but I won't trim it down until everyone has submitted their maps. I'm having trouble with a couple of things, so I guess now would be the time for people to help with them. First, if the time runs out, bad stuff happens and the game crashes. Second, the seeker can't crouch and I'd like to know why. If I think of anything else I'll mention it.

Thanks Gemini09,

Never say never, but I'm really struggling for time in front of the editor atm and what time I may have I'm trying to be of some small use to an ongoing hoax project.