Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #419

Wow, what a massive pile of crap the .WADs in this /newstuff are! Is quantity the only goal here or something? Please, somebody upload something decent for once :P

Glad to see we're caught up to the present at last... Only took a year or so for this process to work.

Phobus, that's what I have been saying, there was a large backlog of stuff that people didn't want to play, hence no reviews. Saying this out loud seems to be a cardinal sin despite nobody proving it wrong. From now on I won't rag the Phantom Uploaders, even though I still believe they are not all acting in anyone's interest. This Ogre chap, for instance, rates the worst maps 5* which is basically trolling, read his comments for further proof.

That 300 wad is very easy. There is no way for the monsters to even go through the gate unless you do. Just run up and kill the icon of sin, end of.

Doomguy 2000 said:

Well at least what Walter thought about it since it's apparently been approved for publishing and because it has me featured in the challenge pack. What niche are you talking about?

The niche you specifically mentioned by name.

Doomguy 2000 said:

What's most interesting about the newstuff chronicles is that Terry style wads never get reviews.

An unpopular niche, as I said, but still a niche. Those wads do in fact get reviews eventually.

Phobus said:
Wow, what a massive pile of crap the .WADs in this /newstuff are! Is quantity the only goal here or something? Please, somebody upload something decent for once :P

Dude, you don't get it, the community is doing a great job tuning the quality of the WADs to the quality of the reviews they'll get!

GreyGhost said:

Finally found the spot, though placing a thing to mark the walkthrough location results in it going away. Probably a nodebuilder error.

I've never seen an error like that before, but I guess I don't really move against every wall either. I wonder if it was intentional?

myk said:

Dude, you don't get it, the community is doing a great job tuning the quality of the WADs to the quality of the reviews they'll get!

Doomworld, home of the prescient?

Retog said:

That 300 wad is very easy. There is no way for the monsters to even go through the gate unless you do. Just run up and kill the icon of sin, end of.

Uhh, which source port are you using?

Isn't it amazing how almost every map in the archive has suddenly been claimed for review? That's good, but where have all the reviewers come from??

The 300 map is entirely possible to lose without leading the baddies through the gates. I missed one on a charge straight into their lines and died because of it, so they do fulfil their function.

MajorRawne said:

Isn't it amazing how almost every map in the archive has suddenly been claimed for review? That's good, but where have all the reviewers come from??

maybe people got afraid you'd do all of the reviews by yourself.

Herculine said:

An unpopular niche, as I said, but still a niche. Those wads do in fact get reviews eventually.

Then how come they are never posted as apart of the newstuff chronicles? That niche seems to be popular in the idgames archive since these wads appear to get more attention than most normal wads that get released.

MajorRawne said:

That's good, but where have all the reviewers come from??

The 57th pit of Tartarus. I summoned them myself by pouring blood from a black goat's still-beating heart on an ethernet cable.

Doomguy 2000 said:

Then how come they are never posted as apart of the newstuff chronicles? That niche seems to be popular in the idgames archive since theses wads appear to get more attention than most normal wads that get released.

Simple answer, humans like to hate things, hence those wads get lots of reviews on idgames because of it. As someone said earlier it's easier to moan and bitch about something when compared to praising something. Just human nature, especially where I live.

dew said:

maybe people got afraid you'd do all of the reviews by yourself.

Been there, done that, earned 25% from subsequent revenue.

Gez said:

The 57th pit of Tartarus. I summoned them myself by pouring blood from a black goat's still-beating heart on an ethernet cable.

Black magic in the information age: for when you need your minions at the push of a button.

Gez said:

Mwah hah haaaaa....

Rawne:
BloodyAcid - sorry for the rant, but if you have failed to read a post where I specifically address an issue you later bring back up, that's your fault, not mine.

EDIT: Fraggle, you're not seriously telling me one of the most famous DM wads of all time isn't worthy of a mention?

Me not thoroughly inspecting every individual post made during a heated argument is not my fault; you could have made a simple statement here instead of blaming it on me. The main point still stands - you took the criticism with a shitty attitude. Anyways, don't bother replying, this will just drag on. Just let this little discussion end here.

Oh, and Dwango might be famous, but should not be used as a reference for good DM wads, if I'm interpreting Fraggle correctly.

Thank you Grain of Salt for reviewing the first episode of my megawad Illuminatus. I know some of the maps can use some work and I understand why you feel that way. For MAP03, I was inspired by Doom’s E2M6 starting area with the nukage hallway and the medikits and maybe I should get rid of the radiation suit and/or the medikits, or maybe I should make the hallway longer. As for the untagged vital lifts in the same map, I’ll have to fix those too. For maps MAP04 and MAP05 I should consider adding more ammo in those levels to make the barons and hell knights easier to fight. As for MAP07 I’ll have to fix the problem you mentioned about the monsters not getting block lines and getting stuck, and maybe I should really figure out how to make that map more challenging. Now about how Grain of Salt said something about the placing of weapons and amour, should I consider placing more amour and starter weapons in some maps? Anyways thanks again Grain of Salt for reviewing my WAD, and thanks for pointing out some of the problems you found.

GreyGhost said:

Reviewed back in #413

Ah, thanks! I was hoping that was the case... :P

But yeah, before posting that, I made sure to search for "Parkour" on the Doomworld News forum. No results, and repeating it now only turns up this one thread. Is there something about the formatting of the OP that's causing it to not register in a forum search?

You're welcome.

The forum search failure probably has something to do with the way news posts are linked to (or from) the main site. I found the review by working my way backwards through the old news, a Google search would have been quicker.

I never thought I'd see the day that none of the wads at the Review Center would be locked.

Congrats to all the reviewers.