Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demon_Collector

What do you think keeps Doom alive?

NiTROACTiVE said:

FPS shooters.

First person shooter shooters? What is that? Is that when the gameplay consists of shooting first person shooting games, regardless of what perspective this action takes place, whether it be third person, first person, or side scrolling?

Sodaholic said:

First person shooter shooters? What is that? Is that when the gameplay consists of shooting first person shooting games, regardless of what perspective this action takes place, whether it be third person, first person, or side scrolling?

At first when I read your post I thought you didn't know what a FPS was. Then I realized I added the word "shooters" after FPS making it look like first person shooters shooters. :P I fixed that post now.

Maes said:

You can't go wrong with a game that can have maps like these:

http://imageshack.us/a/img171/9905/mapmontage.png

which are also kickass to play.

Damn those look nice.

Maes said:

Interesting. The very first post pretty much demolishes the alleged "mod-friendly" attitude of id

I don't think it does, though I can see the reasons you might say that.

Just think about it though, there was nothing else similar out at the time to understand what the legal implications were. The gaming industry in America had collapsed around the 80s due to cloning; if somebody found a legal loophole to edit Doom and distribute it for profit it WOULD have happened lol.

It seems like they left it so that people with the skill and genuine interest could poke around and make some fun stuff. I'm sure if they hated modding they could have made it very hard to mod their subsequent releases like Quake.

At least Romero's post gives me that impression, but maybe he really is a dirty smelly jerk!

hex11 said:

Now this is interesting:

DUMB does not use a BSP (binary space partitioning) algorithm to order wall textures. Instead it insertion-sorts the walls on the fly (a feature inherited from wt). This has the advantage that map vertices can move during the game without a costly BSP tree reconstruction.

Would be interesting if source ports had at some point started having a option to do it this way.

Also, is that how the Build engine does it?

SweatyGremlins said:

There's just no modern equivalent to Doom. As the fps genre got older it went towards realism rather than abstract, became slower, dropped projectiles in favor of hitscan weapons (which put the focus on hiding behind stuff rather than dodging), environments became tight, narrow and linear; and finally, most modern FPS are bogged with cutscenes and scripted sequences. You literally cannot open a single door yourself in Homefront, you have to wait for the napkin npcs to finish blabbing and open them for you.

But it adds exploration and non-linear environments to the hectic projectile dodging. The emphasis is on player skill and movement. One of the Bioshock blokes wrote about it actually.

http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74

emphasis mine. this is the best article i've ever read about what makes doom unique, especially in today's gaming, and what keeps me coming back to doom after every new game i play. doom is a joy of movement, of moving so fast that you can take on a horde of monsters simply thanks to your agility, and berserk barons into pulp while they flail helplessly. these swing shots where you merely guess where your opponent is, yet your ssg drops him in an instant. compare this to movement in modern games, when you come from doom it's like wading through mud.

Maes said:

The very first post pretty much demolishes the alleged "mod-friendly" attitude of id, and the follow ups paint a picture of painstaking reverse engineering and trial & error, with maybe only a feeble tolerance by id, and never an active involvement, not even the odd friendly tiny, little hint now and then. Quite a far cry from the rosy picture that is often painted.

Pretty much how it is now with BFG edition, it's just that people are too busy complaining "OH MAH GAWD YOU CANT MOD IT ID SOFTWARE IS TEH DEVUL" instead of cracking the .resources files that it uses. You CAN load mods with BFG edition, you really can, nobody's cracked the new archive format yet, though.

The easy moddibility. Even now there are so many WADs for doom being made, and luckily enough good ones have been made to satiate the long time fans, and draw in new ones.

The constant release of user created contents and the endless fun i have when playing online with friends.

BaronOfStuff said:

This. Easy to learn, hard to master, and one of the most addictive examples of pure, fast-flowing gameplay around. It just doesn't get old, because everything just works and there are NO INTERRUPTIONS.

Pretty much this :)

Grab a gun...or two and just have fun blowing things away, its well balanced and the gore/blood and violence is just satisfying.......wow, just saying that has made me want to load Doom up right now and do just that!

1:Modifiable...(new wads i mean)
2:music,sounds atmosphere....
3:A Racing style involvement in game-play....no other fps has this speed
and dodging combination.....
4:Its simple Demo Recording Functionality.....
5:Sincere Community (e.g. dsda,dw)
6:Strategy lovers part is also there along with speed lovers....
Many more