Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xane_MM

Any Doom-related dreams?

Yes, I know, this has been asked many times (I searched), yet no threads are open right now that would not have to be bumped, so I decided to create this, so I could talk about my Doom-related dreams I can remember. I will explain them in no real order. Also, I'll skip through the dreams to where the Doom-related part appears, though eventually I may explain the whole dream. Do note I can't remember many at the time.

ZDOOM IN DREAM FORM
-----------------------

One morning, I returned to sleep only to find myself half asleep; By that, I mean I could hear the fan running in my room but I could also hear my dream's sounds as well. I started in an outdoors area with rocks and proceeded into a dark cave. Once I saw this, it hit me: it resembled ZDoom's software renderer! The rocks faded from brown to grey to black. Once I went around the curves, I jumped and fell into a "silver" room (SILVER1 was on every wall and that one SHAWN2 lookalike flat (forgot its name) was on the floor and ceiling, from what I can remember). The whole dream was silent until I decided to open the door which promptly made a very muffled doom door sfx. I stopped, amazed by that sound, then I moved through the door and allowed it to shut behind me, making the door closing sfx. I then opened the door again and stood under it as it hit my head and immediately opened again, then my dream started fading away, so I promptly walked down the rocky tunnel behind the door as the dream faded away.

I then recreated what I remembered in Doom Builder 2 and came up with this level inspired by it:

___________(note the grey fadeout in this one)

UNEXPECTED GZDOOM APPEARANCE
----------------------------------

In another one of my dreams, after taking a life jacket and swimming across a pool of some sort, then another, I reached a tiny thing of water and all of a sudden the options menu from GZDoom appeared (I know it's GZDoom and not ZDoom or some reason).

GEZ
----

I can't remember much of this dream other than there being a forum and Gez was replying to people about their problems. I was flying around (I think it was like noclip2 on ZDoom/GZDoom) amd I ran into spiderwebs which makes me itch, which stopped me there.

ADDED DREAMS:

MAP MAN
In one dream, I was in the middle of a passageway that turned left then right. At the end was a zombie that didn't look like your average Doom zombie. He occasionally stood still for a second and shot a Apple Safari logo at me that acted like a rocket. Once he was down to 1/2 health, he would shoot seekers from MegaZeux that were colored blue. They wouldn't target me, however. Once he was down to 1/4 health, however, they did what they were expected to do: target me. I kept hiding behind a wall to keep me from getting hit by the seekers and compasses he kept shooting. Eventually he died. That's all I remember of that one.

HEXEN
Oddly enough, my last night's dream didn't revolve around the Doom engine itself, but a game that apparently had Hexen's name. It is Doom-related, due to it being a Doom engine game. (Tell me if you think this shouldn't be allowed in this thread)

At one part in the dream near the end, there was some music festival celebrating a new Hexen game. They played some song that I can't remember except for maybe it being a song that Todd in the Shadows hated. I missed the festival except for seeing a bit of it on a TV.

At the end of the dream, I was disappointed and a girl said the festival was over, but she took a "picture" off the wall and it became a game named Hexen 4. I put it in a DS but didn't see Hexen or anything that was Hexen-like, just a menu that played music I (apparently) made. This excited me,and I kept calling or my mom across the room who was too busy for me for some reason. The song, apparently picked by Nintendo, had General MIDI strings but didn't start off with them, but had a non-General MIDI sample playing, then they went together. In conclusion, an odd dream that seemed to abuse Hexen's title.

MY DOOM LEVEL: VISITED
A few nights ago, I had a dream where me and my step-dad went to see some Sesame Street monster and we went through a city. The thing about this city is it was the city from my Doom PWAD! It was the same layout but a hole in the level was changed into a passgeway to the Sesame Street monster. I was walking through my own Doom level, which was cool!

If I get another Doom-related dream within a month, I'll bump this in some way, editing the first post.

Lol Once i was being chased by a baron of hell and i had no ammo left and then something else happened i cant remember.

There's a massive level in the third episode of Back to Saturn X with scenes and a concept heavily inspired by a dream I had last year. I'm not spoiling what it is though :P

@Blue Shadow: Well, that's what Doomworld's for, and Doom: If you make levels for Doom, technically, you'll play a lot of Doom.

@maggotjoe: I hate when I forget something important in a dream.

@esselfortium Is this a Doom mod you made or something, jsut asking?

Also, I like when Doom appears in my dreams, expecially the ZDoom dream I had. That was amazing and proved my mind's capable of ZDoom. Now if only programs could be added to the mind and ran, then that dream I had could come true.

Also, glad to see people aren't complaining that this is yet another dream thread.

Xane123 said:One morning, I returned to sleep only to find myself half asleep; By that, I mean I could hear the fan running in my room but I could also hear my dream's sounds as well.

What you had was hypnagogia, I get it in the form of 'sleep paralysis'.

I'v had dreams that mix Doom up with normal boring stuff, like having to clear the supermarket of imps before I can go to the eggs section, and the imps had smashed all the eggs up anyway so it was lame.

Not 100% "Doom-dreams", but there has been one or two instances where I have found myself in some really weird places in my dreams, and then I have used those places in my maps. Both places were dark and huge tech bases and in my dreams they were also desolate and totally devoid of monsters. That`s not the case in my maps though =)

I once had this dream where I was on a road trip with a friend and when we stopped and entered a house for some reason and when I looked out the window the sky looked like Doom 2's hell sky.

In my WIP megawad kuchitsu.wad at least 4 maps are based on the levels I saw in my dreams. The best thing is that in these dreams the levels already had music selected for them so now I don't need to bother with it. :)

Last night funnily enough. Not much to it, I was playing a level with low health and being chased by some demons and revenants while trying to find some stimpacks

Had one recently where I was working on a map in DB2, unfortunately it's not one I recognize so I've no idea how much progress I'd made with it.

The closest doom level representation of how a "doomified" dream would look like, IMHO, can be found in Dawn Of Reality.

I had written an extensive review when it came out:

I had written in the review
Dreaming of Doom: most of us Doomers will have done that one time or another, perhaps with the added perk of dreaming of a more life-like rendition of Doom than it actually is, mixed with the surreal and unstable twist only dreams can give.

Doom in Reality: some of us might have wondered about how Doom would look in real life, or how a real, actual location would look rendered through Doom's engine. We have also seen WADs that tried to be realistic, or mods for other games that tried to "enhance" Doom's looks with mixed results.

Maes said:

The closest doom level representation of how a "doomified" dream would look like, IMHO, can be found in Dawn Of Reality.

I had written an extensive review when it came out:

Oh shit this is a too big to download! O_O

LakiSoft said:

Oh shit this is a too big to download! O_O

It's worth it ;-)

I also had written in the review:
It also comes very close to how Doom looks like in a dream: a combination of reality's detail with Doom architecture (seldom the opposite), with some dream-like elements like e.g. limited interactivity with "daily" objects, the fact that there is little text to read - and most of it looks either hard to read or surreal - and that you can get in some places but not in others, make this a pure "I had a Doom dream" experience.

And just to punctualize:

I also also had written in the review:
Despite that, most Doom elements are left unaltered, such as bonuses, weapons, and the standard monsters. While some may feel that this leaves the mod incomplete, I applaud this decision, as it really comes as close as possible to the "what if Doom was real?" approach, without sacrificing any familiarity. There are also no apparent alterations to weapons/monsters power either, which means that you get a unique opportunity to combine pure almost Doom gameplay with an overly realistic setting.

I once got a doom dream like this:

I carry only a SSG, and I am standing in a very hellish place. Suddenly I hear a lot of monsters sounds............WTF??? 1000+ revenants, 50+ cyberdemons and 100+ archviles etc. are approaching me!!! Oh dear! I neither have a plasma gun nor BFG!!! When I know that it's my time of death, the sky textures change, all monsters are vanished! Why? Because it's in the morning, time to wake up!

I have, but they've all been relatively generic (essentially just running around shooting things), and more often than not they take place in areas loosely based on any maps I've recently been working on.

And yes, these dreams do in turn often inspire new features/areas of these maps. It's all very good, really. Even when it turns into a nightmare.

These are interesting dreams; Once again, I'm glad people posted in my first thread (all my other posts are replies).

I didn't have a Doom dream last night, and hardly can remember anything. It's not like I can post it here since it's not Doom.

@SweatyGremlins: Good to know. That dream might be my favorite just because how impressed I am with it. Also, if anyone wants that recreation map I showed, I can release it.

@GreyGhost: Doom Builder 2? Now one of my dreams has to have that; I hope one happens where I can run a level from my PWAD I'm making.

Also, it seems like dreams inspire stuff in actual levels you make; I had one. In one of my dreams I didn't tell you about, there was a weird zombie that shot compasses that looked like the Apple Safari icon that exploded when they hit a wall (basically a edited rocket). Eventually, he shot out blue-colored seekers (these are from MegaZeux) that chased me. This zombie is (sorta badly) remade in my mod for Doom, but he can be cheap. I'll update the first post.

Yeah, now I remember I've dreamt about playing doom sometimes. Levels I've dreamt about were often sophisticated puzzle or overly difficult. I've even cheated once or twice.

I had one major doom dream where I was mapping in db and found pokemons in the monster section. I've put them all on a map out of curiosity, but when I played it, they weren't there. I've continued playtesting anyway (my brother joined in coop and played as a baron) and at some point a swarm of rockets flew from the hallway I just went through. My first thought was "what the hell, demons from Sky May Be?", but that were zdoom rocket launcher marines. When I was backing away, I felt out the window, then view changed into 3rd person and I gibbed on the floor due to fall damage.
Another one was just a semi-doom-esqe weirdness. I was going to apply for a job in some secret company and my job had to do something with exploding toilets (?). In db, I've created an enterance to the building I was going to work in (grid scaling was a bit buggy, though), but instead of a company building, I ended up in a home of some friendly female imp (just FRIENDly, inb4 whatsoever). That "home" was just a bunch of mountainous valleys of ZIMMER, she also had orc warriors from gothic 2 hired as bodyguards and her fur was partially burned. That's especially weird since I don't think imps have any fur at all. She also had wings. And finally, there was a way to a high terrace, and when I got there, I had a view of beautiful... blocky Minecraft landscape. Consisting of naturally generated terrain and some pixel arts.

Now beat it.

Scypek2 said:
And finally, there was a way to a high terrace, and when I got there, I had a view of beautiful... blocky Minecraft landscape. Consisting of naturally generated terrain and some pixel arts.

Doom and Minecraft? Cool! I don't know if that can be beat. I don't recall having Minecraft dreams, only Doom ones, so yours stands out for that.

It's amusing to note that people have been dreaming about Doom since *before* its release. Here are some dreams from "Doom Insanity", by people eagerly awaiting the then-future release of Doom:

A few days ago I awoke in the middle of a dream about DOOM...! I was
firing the shotgun at a pixelated (yes, my dream was pixelated) demon
when my alarm clock went off (well, it turned the radio on :). Haven't
seen any alpha or beta version, only the screen shots. Time to schedule
an appointment with a local shrink...

I can't imagine what shape I'll be in once the game is actually released :).

Strange enough, I had a dream about DOOM last evening, too. I dreamt that I
had found the mythical beta release version lying around on a FTP site,
downloaded it, and actually got to play it before anyone else. Now, I know
I could just do this anyways, but I have too many morals.
What are you doing to us, Jay, now we're DREAMING about getting
DOOM... SIGH..

While you all were dreaming, I was having some serious nightmares.
DOOM was released early and I went down to buy it ASAP. When I opened my
wallet, it was empty. And they wouldn't accept credit or personal checks...
I spent the rest of the night trying to scrounge up the cash to buy it.
It was not a pretty sight!

Have dreamt a few maps before, but that was a long while ago. Some recent dreams I had though embodied some doom elements. It was something like this, I was running away from some bad bloke, as soon as he was about to shoot/stab with his weapon or something, I was attempting to type in 'iddqd' as quick as possible, but the first few attempts I fumbled the code sequence. Luckily enough, I got the code right in time before anyone could screw me up. The same happened when I fall, I'd desperately open the console and type 'fly'. Fly DAMMIT! Maybe not healthy that I'm dreaming up of these, but at least it's made my dreams more exciting than action movies these days, heh.

@Joshy: Doom's cheat codes never seem to be forgotten, even "fly", which sounds like ZDoom.

@fraggle: That's cool. I wonder how much a person could dream about Doom before they even tried it themselves? It's like in a non-Doom-related dream where I stole Caillou's (that boy sucks!) life jacket; I didn't get a good look at it (much like how the people before they played Doom wouldn't see much) so I imagined it with two of those straps or whatever they are, compared to Caillou's, which has one strap-thing and a zipper (o_O WTF? A ZIPPER?). Basically, that wasn't to take it really off-topic, but merely for an example.

I hope I have another Doom-related dream so I can show another one.

You might like this older dream thread of mine, then. Doom dreams threads pop up with a certain regularity around here.

The most disturbing dream about Doom was however related to Archviles: in one infamous dream I had a year or so ago, an archvile was following me down the street but not for attacking me, but instead it appeared to mock me by doing a weird, bizarre and macabre dance behind me.

The other dream, more recent, had me kill several archviles with a BFG, only to see their dead bodies being somehow blown close to me: I knelt over to touch one of them: it looked like a mummy covered in dirty, yellowish pus-encrusted bandages, and to the touch their skulls and body felt just like a human body, but with a squishy feeling and crushed bones. It almost made me feel sorry for them.

My most recent that I bothered to post about is this:

Not really scary-scary, but last night I dreamt of a sort of Svankmayer-esque Doom level (filled with theatrical props, backdrops, separes, tents and assorted junk), in the usual dreamy "Doom but realistic" style, roamed by a hydrocephalic cyberdemon of sorts. Its body was "normal" in size, but the head was broader than its shoulders, like a giant pumpkin, and the horns had been swallowed in the abnormal growth. It basically looked like a cyberdemon with a grotesque jack-o-lantern where its head should be.

Its texture however was like papier-mâché made from sandpaper, making it look even more Svankmajer-esque. It has a very coarse, flat looking texture and I could actually see the "glitters" from the sandpaper. In any case, this "cyberdemon" was harmless: it could not even walk well, and often stumbled, lamed or got stuck in the architecture. No, I didn't try to "rip and tear" it, nor fist it ;-)

I've had lots of dreams where I was playing Doom. But that happens with most video games -- including this, which I've been playing on my phone quite a bit lately :-P

joe-ilya said:

a wierd weapon mod thats allows you to puke in the game **

Not exactly puking, but surely the Next Best Thing ;-)

When I first started playing Doom I had a dream that I was in this place with giant hills of dirt and a dark, overcast sky. There was a huge complex of trenches and tunnels in the area and a bunch of soldiers. I was there with the soldiers trying to fight off a demon invasion, the only thing I remember is shooting a shotgun at a pinky that hopped into one of the trenches.

Only Doom dream I recall is me running around DH7 from Sphere being chased by Pinky demons from the movie, fighting them off with a little pistol and my fists. I killed two of them I think, then at some point I opened a door into a padded room and that was the end.