Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Plutonia, Scythe, Doom2
I've finished Plutonia for the first time on uv legit and without too many saves, my next task is to finish all the maps from a pistol start.

I need to improve my skills to beat Scythe's e3 faster so till then I'm playing maps 13&19 sometimes, trying to finish map 13 under 1:40 and map 19 under 5 minutes (got to 5:07 so far).

I need to use the possible escape routes wisely when I'm playing so I'm trying to UV speed doom2.

Played DIAMONDS, a pretty cool corrupted techbase style level from Bill McClendon that's very punchy on UV.

Been playing Zones of Fear, the Czech megaWAD. I like some of its aspects but there are so many encounters repeated over and over again that some levels get boring on top of the longer, limit-removing length (and contemptible backtracking). Some great ideas, though.

Finished Zones of Fear. I think if the Czech authors had a bit more discipline it would be a fantastic mapset. As it stands, there are some design decisions that are a much greater test of patience than MAP10 could ever be. It's still pretty fun, though. Just avoid if you hate long maps.

Played Lainos's 5till L1 Complex. Very cool level that's kind of an average between Doxylamine Moon: Overdose and Object 34: "Sonar". You can skip almost the entire preserved colony if you feel like it. Very exploratory but without combat and superhard navigation puzzles overwhelming the natural landscape. An excellent level.

Now playing Community Chest 4. Looking forward to the new breed...

Just wanted to say

I hope Xaser recruits lupinx for HACX 2.0's cyber levels or his team has some big shoes to fill, because MAP21 is digital decadence in the best way

Just finished Bloodrust by Simon 'SlayeR' Judd. From 11 maps 9 are very good, even tho i'm not sure that they are "'oldschool' in style and detail" but they sure are fun. Last two maps however were much more weaker, i think that the author simply ran out of juice. Final map is where it's most obvious: overused chaingunners, same monsters behind almost each door, bad ammo/health/armor balancing and pointless Cyberdemon fight (after much more harder fight with AV). Next megawad on my list is Demonfear.

Finished CC4. Very good selection of maps. Some are very idiosyncratic with most of it weighted (IMO) toward techbases but some fun outliers. Chased it down with Urban Fire, which was a far more abstract level (originating from DM) and pretty hard for being so short. Still very fun. The D3D soundtrack almost feels too chill...

Currently playing Masters of Chaos. Gave up on playing from scratch on e1m9. They're decent Heretic levels so far but I'm not a fan of the survivalist gameplay that wand starts entail. Still dangerous enough with carryovers. The new enemies I've seen so far are Hexen refugees, which one can only expect.

I'm playing Whispers of Satan, I've just started map 24 and I'm playing on ultra violence. This megawad is pure awesomeness!!

I am playing DTWID. The new updates in version 1.1 are a real improvement over version 1.0. My only gripe is that a door out of the computer map secret on E1M4 was added which I thought was kind of un-iddish for the type of secret it is, but I suppose I can live with it.

After recently playing through and enjoying CC4 I'm going through the previous community chests.

Done the first and half way through the second - I have to say, there are a lot of good maps so far but there are a few that I can't believe were even play-tested...

Finished up the last 3 levels of cchest4 and ran through cafebrk1 this weekend, so some quality Dooming was done.

Halfway through Demonfear, it's okay. Some maps are pretty ugly, straight from 1994, and i think that Arch-vile is overused without much thought. All maps so far are small, like 30 monsters on each. Difficulty changes randomly.

Just completed The Darkening on UV and I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. OK, this isn't Hell Revealed but it's certainly no stroll in the park either. Facing down 3 Archviles surrounded by a horde of demons in a confined area is about as frustrating as it gets, especially when ammo shortages mean you're confined to your DB shotgun. After more deaths than I care to remember I finally cracked it though (tactical positioning proved the best solution).

Great wad, although I expected more of a challenge from the final level, which turned out to be far easier than some of the preceding maps as it's child's play to get yourself into a position where your rockets can hit the Cyberdemon but his can't touch you. That's bad design.

I just finished Voodoo Guns, really gritty style levels with high res textures. One huge city level and a small farm town level. Now i'm gonna finish up Doom 2 Unleashed.

I'm playing aloha999.wad with Doom 1.2, in dosbox. E2M2 had some major HOM outside, but everything else so far is okay (I'm on E2M4 now). My machine is slow, so sometimes there's lag and the blue disk icon flashes and stuff like that. I'm guessing this is more or less like playing on a 386DX/33 or 40 MHz machine. I used to have a 486DX/33 and it was very smooth...

Just started Combat Shock 1 in prep for numbah 2. Danne sure has some crazy designs sometimes... I really like his big arena style fights, but am finding myself less entertained by the "filler" monsters between the arenas, as they're mostly unchallenging or cheap (CHAINGUNNERZ). Some parts are still super fun though, even if it's been a while since I played something that wanted me dead so, so much. The last fight at the end of MAP01 is taking me a while.

dobugabumaru said:

am finding myself less entertained by the "filler" monsters between the arenas, as they're mostly unchallenging or cheap

likewise I'm getting relatively bored with the 5 mancubi room and chaingunners in cs2_map04, but maybe I'm just saying that because I've run through it too many times in my attempt to max the map (fuck that yellow key room, seriously, fuck it)

Excited to watch your UVmaxes after I get through CS2. Part of the reason why I like slaughtermaps even though I'm not a good player for them is because I like dealing with the pain firsthand and figuring out the best strategy to deal with each battle, and then watching people dominate the map afterwards. It's a very humbling experience. Plus it's like a short suspense film, where I'm just waiting in anticipation as to how the player is going to deal with the nasty fights I relentlessly struggled with.

After I beat MAP01, I watched Ancalagon's run and was just shaking my head in shame. And MAP02 just opens up with a horific nightmare of constant damage and no corners to hide in... it'll be another interesting UV-max to witness.

Normally play doom on a laptop with basic graphics settings, so just for shits & giggles I decided to fire up doom on my big bastard desktop pc with all the graphical splendor gzdoom can muster and loaded Deus Vult 2 with the brutal doom mod.

I have to say it looks bloody lovely, although that mod has its gameplay problems (screaming and reloading and graphical whizzbangs that make it hard to see whats going on). I'll be interested to see how it copes with the later levels, it already threw a fit when some barrels exploded on the water.

edit: yeah that didn't last long, got to minus morgul and the whole game ground to a halt... Looks like the brutal doom mod doing that though, no great loss