Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mystery Man in 3D

Best Phone for playing DOOM on?

My Xperia Play f'ed up, and I need a replacement. This was the second Xperia Play I got, and the first one f'ed up as well, so I'm not getting another one of those.

Now I have to ask, which phone is the ABSOLUTE BEST phone for playing the DOOM games on? Performance, controls, etc. And not just DOOM 1, ALL of them.

fraggle said:

For a start, anything that has actual physical buttons.

This.

Every smartphone should be ok when it comes to performance. Doom source port for phones is based on PRBoom which is well optimized, but when it comes to controls even the fastest phone will discourage you if all you have are touchscreen controls.

fraggle said:

For a start, anything that has actual physical buttons.

While physical buttons are far better for playing Doom, after some practice I've gotten pretty good at Doom Classic's controls on iOS. So it's not absolutely terrible, and it's not preferable at all, but it is usable.

Sodaholic said:

So it's not absolutely terrible, and it's not preferable at all, but it is usable.

Yeah, that's pretty much the laughably low bar of expectation that touch screen phones have set.

I don't get why we'd want to play DOOM on our phones. It'd be a fun novetly to have, but we're already DOOMers and we're hardly crack-like addicted like we NEED to play it even when we're on the road too?

That said, I'd welcome it if GZDoom worked with smart-phones. Then I'd love to make an indie game for it. :)

Smart phones are like the new arcades.

gemini09 said:

I don't get why we'd want to play DOOM on our phones. It'd be a fun novetly to have, but we're already DOOMers and we're hardly crack-like addicted like we NEED to play it even when we're on the road too?

That said, I'd welcome it if GZDoom worked with smart-phones. Then I'd love to make an indie game for it. :)

Smart phones are like the new arcades.

DOOM II is my Favorite Game of All Time. One of the biggest rules for a game to be my Favorite Game of All Time is that I have to be able to play it anywhere I go.

This has already been accomplished with my laptop and DOOM Legacy on my PSP, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to play it on my phone as well.

*sigh* I need to get another GBA SP...

Is there some version of doom that can be played on nokia 6300? (I suppose yes, I even saw doom played on a mp3 player).

princetontiger said:

iPhone 5 + Gamception

It's awesome

I decided to give Gameception a try and you are right, it's great!

Playing Doom 2 now on my iPad3. Love it. It actually feels better than the official iOS release of Doom from iD!

Anyone with an iPhone should try this combo.

Mystery Man in 3D said:

Now I have to ask, which phone is the ABSOLUTE BEST phone for playing the DOOM games on?

Gez said:

*ancient phone*

Couldn't you theoretically use that for a modem connection? Kinda like the oldschool method of actually using a phone to transfer data rather than the modem itself connecting directly to the phoneline.

Well Verizon sent me a replacement Xperia Play, and promised that this one wouldn't fuck up. To make sure, I'm not doing DOOMGLES or DOSBox Turbo or PSXperia DOOM or any of that crap, and am just gonna stick to what's tried and true: My GBA emulator with DOOM I & II.

Mods, feel free to close this thread, because I'm done here.