Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Babel

Reflectionx [what makes a WAD good?]

The newstuff chronicle It's something that makes me think with a lot of wads cicling, Today...
What things need a wad to be good? Which are the requirements for the public?

Map quality correlates directly with the amount of cyberdemons in your map.

A mixture of aesthetics and gameplay design.

Requirements for the public? A well-known author (in/famous) or a megawad usually do the trick. Overhyping stuff works too.

It has to be playable, somehow. You can break everything else but if it's not playable it's a crappy map. Sometimes it's due to lack of game balance or design error (no or insufficient playtesting) which perhaps the author can address eventually (if he actually cares), but other times it's deliberate and those are irredeemable.

It's good for a wad to have a unique aspect to it so it stands out from the others in a good way. For example, Scythe consists of short, tricky maps while 32 Inch Nails had maps that were made by sticking to a 32X32 grid. Try be imaginative with what you make.

On a side note: if you're going to display your work to the Doomworld public, learn to take criticism well. Otherwise you'll get eaten.

Meh, it's not like Scythe was the first short tricky map megawad (see "Demonfear") or 32 Inch Nails was the first 32x32 grid wad (see "Grid 32").

Memfis said:

(see "Demonfear")

The tricky part is not going crazy from all the damn doors!

Well anyway my favorite "short maps" megawad is Congestion 384, but that's more recent.

The map layouts are good but your texture alignments are not. There is tons of mis-aligned textures and particularly you didn't set upper/lower unpegged which would help a lot. I'd be willing to help out with fixing the alignment issues if you want.

Joseph Lord said:

I made this wad and i want to know what is ur opinion guys and what things i have to correct for makes better wads :)
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16963

So that was you then...

I gave it a play through and you definitely show promise, but there are niggly littke mistakes here and there. For example, the monsters in the floor: I recommend replacing them with teleportr traps to avoid confusion. No one likes it when the floor seems to be eating them! 0_o I also noticed the Nazi SS monsters: youre better off avoiding them completely unless you resprite them(you can get a decent Zombie Marine sprite for them somewhere on the IdGames database). I also noticed some HOM at the start of the first map.