Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
narcissus

WADS that are fun but not too difficult?

Hey all, been running my way through the most interesting cacowards/top 100 WADS these last few months, and I've greatly enjoyed the experience. Currently I'm running through Strain, loving the new enemy types and gradually escalation in difficulty.

Which brings me to this post. I downloaded and was super pumped for Cold As Hell... only to discover that the game is way too difficult for my meager skills, even on the easiest difficulty setting. 72 enemies on the second level (central transit) all at once? With damage increased, a reload function, movement speed reduced, fast imps, and freaking Mancubus'?! I suppose I could throw on infinite ammo and iddqd, but that seems to defeat the point.

I recently played through Epic 2 - which also introduced some pretty great skirmishes towards the end. What wads would you recommend that have great atmosphere and action but are at least playable to a non Doom veteran?

Shame about Cold as hell, really. Excellent creepy sense of place and style to burn.

Classic Episode
Dark Covenant
Icarus: Alien Vanguard

And don't be afraid to play on skill 3, instead of just UV...

Just a few off the top of my head:

-Impossible - A New Reality(loopy gameplay and not too difficult)

-A Taste For Blood(not overly tricky but still fun)

-Mordeth(you gotta know this one)

I might think of more. BTW, how do you unpack STRAIN? I never managed to figure it out.

Obsidian said:

I might think of more. BTW, how do you unpack STRAIN? I never managed to figure it out.

Get it from the DSDA, where you'll find a sane version already unpacked in the "fixed" directory of the package.

This is also true for most other troublesome WADs, Mordeth being an exception. The only sane version of Mordeth is on AtomicGamer.

Gez said:

The only sane version of Mordeth is on AtomicGamer.

...So THAT'S why the one I got didn't have sprite replacements. Thanks dude!

Memento Mori and Memento Mori 2 should be obvious go-to wads here. You'll find them on the '100 wads' list.

UAC Ultra wasn't too difficult and is certainly worth checking out.

In answer to your actual question, TVR! is an obvious standout choice (together with Icarus, which people have already mentioned, and maybe Real World too). But if you found STRAIN (which isn't a walk in the park by any means) quite comfortably playable, then you'll probably find it too easy. With that in mind (and considering that you are clearly happy with wads that make major dehacked and graphical changes), I'd suggest:
Hacx
Vile Flesh
Equinox
Dystopia 3
Odyssey
Insertion
BioTech

And maybe:
Wheel of Time
Batman
Aliens TC: this and this

I suppose from your post that you already know of Void which is exceptionally fun. One of my favorites to play is Titan by Ixnatifual. Which reminds me that I haven't played the sequel yet....

*hops back on /idgames*