Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

My new project: Short Maps 2! Demo available! Feedback needed.

Now that the first chapter in the Short maps trilogy has been released (see this thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/55888-my-new-project-short-maps-edit-its-finished/ ) it is time to start creating the second chapter. I have already completed the first level, and it will be available as a demo/preview while I make the rest of the levels.

Basically the story continues where the first chapter ended, with Obama still being the evil emperor of the world and you being stuck in hell after having destroyed his evil base. And you make it your mission to stop him!

Just like with the original Short maps the whole point of these levels is to be shorter then the usual Doom maps (hence why they are called "short maps"), levels that can be beaten in just a few min. This mapset is the same and will include 6 levels just like the last one. This is for Doom 2 in zdoom format by the way.

Anyways, here is the storyline so far as well as some screenshots and of course the preview level. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story so far......

.......Damn!

After having destroyed Obama's evil base you are on the ground not sure what happened. You blacked out it seems.

You feel an hot for some reason, and the air appears to smell like brimstone...

You slowly and painfully tilt your head up to take a look at your surroundings in an attempt to figure out where you are...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Screenshots:

EDIT: I have put together a gameplay video that shows some parts of the stuff I have made so far including the first level and a portion of 2 others.

Also, those haven't played the first Short maps can check it out here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16796

Change of plans.

Originally this was suppose to be a mapset that contained 6 simple short levels that also happened to have a funny storyline and some amusing intermission screens just like Short Maps 1.

However, while this is still going to be a mapset that contains 6 short levels (otherwise there would be no point in calling this mod "Short Maps 2") the maps will now be in zdoom in hexen format and will include some scripting. In addition there will be no almost music during the levels and instead there will only ambient sounds for the most part. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. The storyline is amusing enough that I feel an opportunity would be wasted by making the levels just like normal Doom 2 levels but with some jokes during the intermission screens inbetween levels. By using scripting I can make the story/jokes and the actual gameplay directly connected. Plus it just gives me more control over the levels in general.

2. While this wad is very lighthearted, the levels them self's still take place in hell and thus the levels are generally suppose to feel dark and evil just the same. I feel that using scary ambient sound effects throughout the levels is more immersive and scary then simply having a single music track the repeats during each level.

I recorded a short video that shows the changes that have been made to the first level (its the same level that is shown during the first gameplay video I posted). Since I only wanted to show the difference between this version of the level and the old version I used cheats to blaze through the level instead of playing it in the normal way. You can notice that the music is gone and has been replaced with ambient sound effects, and that there is now an intro cinematic. The player start is also slightly different.

Here it is:

Note that some things like which ambient sound effects play where can be subject to change.

As usual, all feedback is useful and enjoyed :)

NOTE: Since the demo level no longer represents what this mod is going to be like I have removed the link to it.

I don't like the use of that brown RROCK flat... The repetition is too obvious. 64x64 graphics rarely look good on big walls unless they're monotonous enough.

It appears that the demo file is not long on filefront. I will re-upload it now. I will then edit this post to let you know when its there again.

EDIT: It should be there now again. If you are having problems just let me know and I will re-upload it again on another site.

Memfis said:

I don't like the use of that brown RROCK flat... The repetition is too obvious. 64x64 graphics rarely look good on big walls unless they're monotonous enough.

I have changed the textures in the whole room/area to better reflect the fact that the map has a hell/marble theme. I hope it looks better now.

Neat little project you got here. I played the maps and they are pretty challenging for such small and simple maps. Some imps in map03 are stuck in the ceiling and cant move but other than that i didnt see any problems with the maps.

Keep up the good work!!!

Obsidian said:

It says the file cannot be found. Could you upload it to Mediafire instead?

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/d2y11rzoky19ypn/SM2demo.zip

I also changed the download link in the first post to this one. I hope it works better.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Neat little project you got here. I played the maps and they are pretty challenging for such small and simple maps. Some imps in map03 are stuck in the ceiling and cant move but other than that i didnt see any problems with the maps.

Keep up the good work!!!

Thanks.

Obsidian said:

Pretty nice little map. There'd better be a boss battle at the end of the wad. :P

I have been thinking about replacing the cyberdemon sprites with images of Obama :)

Anyways, I have made enough stuff at this point that I kind of need playtesters to give me feedback now.

Anyone willing to do some playtesting for me?

hardcore_gamer said:

I have been thinking about replacing the cyberdemon sprites with images of Obama :)

Nice. Maybe you could do a Turbocharged Arcade-style boss fight.

Change of plans.

Originally this was suppose to be a mapset that contained 6 simple short levels that also happened to have a funny storyline and some amusing intermission screens just like Short Maps 1.

However, while this is still going to be a mapset that contains 6 short levels (otherwise there would be no point in calling this mod "Short Maps 2") the maps will now be in zdoom in hexen format and will include some scripting. In addition there will be no almost music during the levels and instead there will only ambient sounds for the most part. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. The storyline is amusing enough that I feel an opportunity would be wasted by making the levels just like normal Doom 2 levels but with some jokes during the intermission screens inbetween levels. By using scripting I can make the story/jokes and the actual gameplay directly connected. Plus it just gives me more control over the levels in general.

2. While this wad is very lighthearted, the levels them self's still take place in hell and thus the levels are generally suppose to feel dark and evil just the same. I feel that using scary ambient sound effects throughout the levels is more immersive and scary then simply having a single music track the repeats during each level.

I recorded a short video that shows the changes that have been made to the first level (its the same level that is shown during the first gameplay video I posted). Since I only wanted to show the difference between this version of the level and the old version I used cheats to blaze through the level instead of playing it in the normal way. You can notice that the music is gone and has been replaced with ambient sound effects, and that there is now an intro cinematic. The player start is also slightly different.

Here it is:

Note that some things like which ambient sound effects play where can be subject to change.

As usual, all feedback is useful and enjoyed :)

Please no monster replacements, and will definitely record the new ones like I did with the first six (See YT page). I used Doom64/PSX Doom music WAD to set the mood because it actually worked with the shorter levels.

Mr. Chris said:

Please no monster replacements, and will definitely record the new ones like I did with the first six (See YT page). I used Doom64/PSX Doom music WAD to set the mood because it actually worked with the shorter levels.

I won't replace any of the standard monsters, but I was thinking about replacing the Cyberdemon sprites with Obama. I hope that won't fuck anything up for you.

Also, nice let's plays!

I had no idea someone had made one of my first Short Maps. Kudos for that!

Also, I chuckled during your video of MAP05 where you got pawned while hiding in that corner.

Heh, thanks. When the Short Maps 2 comes out, the maps will have commentary in them.

You might wanna make the Obama sprites an optional file in case folks don't want to (or in my case, will mess with Brutal Doom's cyberdemon since he has a stomp melee attack)