Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Yeah, give those some thought.

If I understand correctly, the plan currently is to release the maps when everything is SP ready, and then later release an update with full multiplayer support.

But if you are happy to make your map SP and DM compatible, it will be there for later.

waverider said:

I've just started working on a Quarry-like map, and though I don't see any other Quarry map listed, I thought it was best to ask if anybody else was already working on one? If there is, maybe I could make a Quarry/Heck-like map instead?

It wouldn't be a copy of the originals, just inspired of.

Parts of Map28 and my part of map30 emulate Heck

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

If I understand correctly, the plan currently is to release the maps when everything is SP ready, and then later release an update with full multiplayer support.

waverider said:

By the way, are we having co-op and DM support in as well?

The plan right now is to ask mappers to try and implement mutliplayer compatibility, but in the end before the project gets uploaded to /idgames we'll (myself and whoever else volunteers to help) make all the maps compatible with coop and deathmatch.

Whoo said:

The plan right now is to ask mappers to try and implement mutliplayer compatibility, but in the end before the project gets uploaded to /idgames we'll (myself and whoever else volunteers to help) make all the maps compatible with coop and deathmatch.

I'll add co-op support to my map. If it's alright, I'll better skip the adding of DM though, because I really suck at that.

TheMionicDonut said:

Parts of Map28 and my part of map30 emulate Heck

Ok, I'll make my map Quarry-inspired then.

waverider said:

I'll add co-op support to my map. If it's alright, I'll better skip the adding of DM though, because I really suck at that.

Ok, I'll make my map Quarry-inspired then.

Dont let my choice of map elements stop you from making a Heck inspired map! I was only using certain parts. My mp28 is huge and takes a little bit from a lot of the later TNT maps.

Starting work proper on MAP25 tonight. I have a layout sketched and a theme decided upon. It's going to be called Spider Colony and will vary between underground tech-mine/hell rock caverns and larger quarry-type areas.

Will someone please PM me the texture resource or tell me where to find it?

I might as well update where I am with my map25 attempt, it's an mix of overground hellified techbase with some mining/quarry areas leading to a marble temple on one side a hellish caverns on the other. It will be called Cataclysmic Excavation.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/tnt2map251.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/tnt2map252.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/tnt2map253.jpg/

This is still pretty early stages to be honest but thought I might as well provide some proof that I am doing something.
@Purist, I used the textures taken from the demo wad, that seems to have worked fine for me.

purist said:

Will someone please PM me the texture resource or tell me where to find it?

cannonball said:

@Purist, I used the textures taken from the demo wad, that seems to have worked fine for me.

Just sent you guys a PM with the latest version.

cannonball said:

I might as well update where I am with my map25 attempt, it's an mix of overground hellified techbase with some mining/quarry areas leading to a marble temple on one side a hellish caverns on the other. It will be called Cataclysmic Excavation.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/tnt2map251.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/tnt2map252.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/tnt2map253.jpg/

Looks like a good start so far, just watch the clipping on the brick textures you're using. Also make sure you're testing in chocolate-doom as well.

Thanks for the link Whoo.

Proof of work:

This is a start on what will be the penultimate area. More details will follow once all the essentials are in.

cannonball said:

[images]

This is still pretty early stages to be honest but thought I might as well provide some proof that I am doing something.

Interesting start you have there. And good thinking on taking the textures from the demo. I wouldn't have thought of that. Though as you will have noticed, there are quite a few differences in the texture pack now. And more to come, as you will see.

purist said:

Proof of work:

[image]

This is a start on what will be the penultimate area. More details will follow once all the essentials are in. [/B]

Looks good: dark and threatening. Can't tell much from the size of the pic tho. :(

Ok. Texture pack changes.

There are two changes that may affect previously completed maps:

has become: (Texture and patch DOWINDOW)

So in the unlikely event that you used the original stained glass window thing, well now it will look borked. But I figured probably no one will have used the original, as it looks like poo and is not a convienent size anyway (64x68). If you have used it and really really want it back in, post here or PM me.

And:

All the old TNT crates have been replaced. These are still placeholders, though they are still close enough to the final result that they will give a good idea for mappers.

Other changes:

new DOWINDOG texture.

All of the RW26 patches have had minor edits. (The bolts are all realigned is the main change.)

The original DOGOLDIR texture has had a touch up: is now:

Also, 2 recoolors:

And now, soz for the *record breaking* triple post.

STEPPLAT texture. Put in for a convenient border texture for stairs and stuff.

The two new flats to go with the new wooden crates.

And some assorted new flats.

And other edits and stuff which aren't worth posting here. (Even more not worth posting here I mean.)

Whoo and all mappers, I'll get this sent out in the next day or two.

A couple of pics (not choco-doom, I know). Some texture changes are to be done though. DeathevokatioN will help out a little with finishing the map up.
Unless I change my mind, the map will be called "Subterraneal Magnitude"

Another tiny -devparm shot from chocolaterenderlimits. After this I'll post from PRBoom+

This one might give you an idea of how I'm planning for the tech areas in the map to look.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

So in the unlikely event that you used the original stained glass window thing

Stained glass window? I thought it was military webbing. :P

Since the work with my map for slot 22 isn't going as planned, I think it's better that I give up my slot. I'd be happy to send over my work to anyone who makes a Quarry-inspired map. I wouldn't take credit for the work I have made of course. Sorry for taking up a slot that I couldn't fill up.

@darkreaver. I see some new areas since I looked at the original layout. Great stuff. And Deathevocation welcome aboard dude. I have noticed you have a good eye for all things vanilla.

@purist. I like that shot. Very tnt-esque. Possibly you could change those blue lights for green ones. I'm just thinking it might match better with the green pillars. Just a thought. :)

Avoozl said:

Stained glass window? I thought it was military webbing. :P

The fact that we can't tell whether the original texture is a stained glass window or military webbing makes me feel I made the right decision in replacing it. :O

waverider said:

Since the work with my map for slot 22 isn't going as planned, I think it's better that I give up my slot. I'd be happy to send over my work to anyone who makes a Quarry-inspired map. I wouldn't take credit for the work I have made of course. Sorry for taking up a slot that I couldn't fill up.

All good waverider. Thank you for your work. :)

Whoo in that case, could I potentially book the slot? The reason is there are actually 2 centrafuse maps that I did with xenonemisis, but only one of them is currently listed in the mapslots roster. I was leaving it as a spare map, but I might as well stick it in at this point. Both of those maps are completed.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

The fact that we can't tell whether the original texture is a stained glass window or military webbing makes me feel I made the right decision in replacing it. :O

You had that with the barbed wire too right? Someone thought it was a dead vine..

Good point.

In truth I myself always thought it was a dead vine thing. I have redone it, but not replaced it entirely. It is too iconic to the whole tnt thing.

waverider said:

I'd really like to give it a shot ;)

I've started to venture into the colony's caves... but it's a little dark in there for screenshots at the moment so here's a stairwell:

The pic is taken in ZDoom but it has been VPO proofed in Chocorenderlimits first. For some reason I've not been able to play this in PRBoom+. I get an Check IWAD error even though TNT.WAD is in the same folder as the .exe - any ideas anyone? I could do with it being sorted before I get much further as PRBoom+ is my playtesting port of choice.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Good point.

In truth I myself always thought it was a dead vine thing. I have redone it, but not replaced it entirely. It is too iconic to the whole tnt thing.

I get that the new barbed wire is very different from the old in style, but geeeeze is the old texture bad. It's, like, really, really, really bad. It's Xaser-will-probably-report-its-use-in-a-map-as-a-bug bad. :P

A faithful-in-structure version is really in order if it's going to be available for mappers to use. Even a simple edit to remove the awful green pixels would be better. Sure, it's an iconic TNT-ism, but not the sort one ought to emulate. :P

@purist. Looks good.

Xaser said:

I get that the new barbed wire is very different from the old in style, but geeeeze is the old texture bad. It's, like, really, really, really bad. It's Xaser-will-probably-report-its-use-in-a-map-as-a-bug bad. :P

A faithful-in-structure version is really in order if it's going to be available for mappers to use. Even a simple edit to remove the awful green pixels would be better. Sure, it's an iconic TNT-ism, but not the sort one ought to emulate. :P

I did a fair amount of touching up on them, but looking at them, I probably need to revisit them. I think my texture skills have improved massively since I last worked on them.

Pottus said:

All yours my man.

waverider said:

No problem, you can always finish your map in the next month and submit it to the Doomworld Mega Project.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

*textures*

Looking good (minus the contrast-rich crates,) especially the replacement for that awful texture.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Whoo in that case, could I potentially book the slot? The reason is there are actually 2 centrafuse maps that I did with xenonemisis, but only one of them is currently listed in the mapslots roster. I was leaving it as a spare map, but I might as well stick it in at this point. Both of those maps are completed.

Pottus said:

Pottus can start working on a map, but if he doesn't finish it in time we can use the xenonemisis collab-map.

purist said:

Looking good so far from what I can tell.

It shouldn't be a problem for me to finish I would think it only usually takes a few days to make a map.

Edit - Some early progress establishing a map theme

KiiiYiiiKiiiA, I realize I mistook the texture for one of the others, it is supposed to be a glass window like you said but don't you think you could make it look broken like the original one?

HELP!

I've hit a problem with my map. I can't test my map in Chocorenderlimits or Chocolate Doom as it crashes with a "R_TextureNumForName: XX not found" error. Where XX is there are two squares, which is preventing me find/replacing in Doombuilder. The textures I'm using are as follows:

COMPBLUE
CRWDL64A
DOORBLU3
DOORT16B
LITE_GN
METAL
METAL2
METAL2BD
METAL3
METAL4
METAL5
METAL7A
METALDR
METALP05
METALTK4
MIDVINE1
PIPES14
ROCK4
ROCK5
SKSNAKE2
SPCDOOR3
STEP2
STEPLAD1
STEPMETL
STEPSIL1
STEPSILV
STONE4
STONE6
SUPPBBR1
SUPPMM2M
SUPPMM2M
SUPPMV08
SUPPMV16
SUPPORT3
SUPPORT5
SUPPORTD
SUPPRBR1
SW1MET2
SW1SKIN
TEKWALLG
ZIMMER1
Please can someone help me here? Also, I've still not been able to get it load it in PRBoom+ either, which will cause me problems when I'm testing gameplay.

To update, the layout of the map is now 80% finished, with detailing a little further behind and thingplacement only just in the starting stages.