Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Babel

Question [sound blocking]

Sodaholic said:

In order to fully block sound, you need to have two lines that block sound, one won't be enough.

I've never been able to work out the reason for this. It's easy to get the hang of, but has always puzzled me.

Having to use two lines gives you more control over the flow of the monsters from later parts of the map. Having it work with only one line would be a lot less versatile.

BaronOfStuff said:

I've never been able to work out the reason for this. It's easy to get the hang of, but has always puzzled me.

I think the idea behind it is to trap the sound within, sort of like having a layer of insulation between two conductors. (this isn't the greatest explanation)

---> ] ---> [

sort of like that

Suppose you have three rooms like this, separated by sound-blocking lines:

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
You open fire in A, you wake the monsters in B; but not those in C.
You open fire in B, you wake the monsters in A and in C.
You open fire in C, you wake the monsters in B; but not those in A.

It makes sense. It lets you build more reasonable (I wouldn't say "realistic") situations with monster placement and makes it easier to guess their behavior during play while you are mapping.

For a "live" example of what Gez described, look no further than MAP01 of Doom2. In an editor, look along the main route from the start point to the large room with the exit door. Look at where the sound blocking lines appear and consider when the various enemies wake up as you move along the route firing your weapon.

I'm going to ask a quick question--what's the deal with doors and blocking sounds? I've had some doors seem to block sound when they're closed (without being flagged to), but sometimes even when a given door is closed it still wakes dudes up on the other side when you make a noise. Not sure if maybe only certain types of doors will block sounds or what.

Nomad said:

I'm going to ask a quick question--what's the deal with doors and blocking sounds? I've had some doors seem to block sound when they're closed (without being flagged to), but sometimes even when a given door is closed it still wakes dudes up on the other side when you make a noise. Not sure if maybe only certain types of doors will block sounds or what.

Sometimes, for example, there may be two sectors on each side of the door but are connected (acting as if one sector). This allows the sound to travel through the door. Now if the sectors are there own sector each, then sound is blocked.

That's the best I can explain it, anyway.

Ok, I gotcha. Looking at one of my old maps I can see why that happened now.