Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project - /idgames link is up

OK, so how do I join in? Just make a map, post the download-link here and that's it? Or what?

I've never actually released anything, so would be cool to have my very first release be a part of this. This doesn't mean I've never created a map though...

Also, in the OP what is meant by format??

If you're using DB2, map format is what you pick in the "Game Configuration" field, at the top of the box that pops up when you create a new map.

Vanilla compatible = "Doom" or "Doom 2", tested in the original exe or a port that respects the original technical limits.
Limit-removing = "Doom" or "Doom 2", with no restriction.
Boom = "Boom"
ZDoom = "ZDoom in UDMF" (or any other "ZDoom in [...]" choice, but as I understand it there is little point picking anything but UDMF for ZDoom mapping, as it allows you more flexibility than anything else)

Ooh, a Doomworld mega project...! And mandatory mapping...! I suppose I HAVE to do something now...

I wanted to have a look at some of the other people's maps, unfortunately almost all of them are uploaded using MediaFire, and I can't connect to MediaFire... :(

Since I'm entering a really busy part of the school year, I'd be pressed for time to create a new one, so here's one I made for my Doom Builder class at school - dltexamp.wad (door, lift, and teleporter example). I tried to make it a bit interesting for the students, and I added some deathmatch value to it as well. Although it's really small, it should provide you with a few minutes of fun.

Two demo lumps are in this vanilla-compatible wad (singleplay by me, deathmatch by four students who never used DOOM in MS-DOS before). No txt-file.

Have fun, and let me know what you think.

http://scorpsportal.com/doom/dltexamp.zip

scorpion said:

here's one I made for my Doom Builder class at school

WHAT?!?! I need to take this class!

After an extended period of laziness, forgetfulness, and plain fucking bad luck, I resumed work on this recently.

WOW, ONE AREA ADDED!

Should be finished by the end of the month, unless I'm distracted/lazy again.

BaronOfStuff said:

After an extended period of laziness, forgetfulness, and plain fucking bad luck, I resumed work on this recently.

*Awesome map*

WOW, ONE AREA ADDED!

Should be finished by the end of the month, unless I'm distracted/lazy again.

My current and first map looks like this...

I won't mess with textures much until the layout is done. Which is why the floor textures look crappy.

walter confalonieri said:

interesting and clean map, scorpion, although is really short... i've enjoyed it!

Yay, feedback! Thanks :)

Really short because it was really an example, also to try and encourage my students to put some detail into their maps and choose textures that actually fit together.

But many students have never played Doom or edited before, so I got maps filled with cyberdemons and plasmaguns (when the 'awesome I can make stuff' feeling most of us had around '94-'98 is still strong).

I'm hoping though that this is the first year (since about 2009) that I can upload something to /incoming from my students...!

scorpion said:

Yay, feedback! Thanks :)

Really short because it was really an example, also to try and encourage my students to put some detail into their maps and choose textures that actually fit together.

But many students have never played Doom or edited before, so I got maps filled with cyberdemons and plasmaguns (when the 'awesome I can make stuff' feeling most of us had around '94-'98 is still strong).

I'm hoping though that this is the first year (since about 2009) that I can upload something to /incoming from my students...!

I would like to see stuff they've made. One of the reasons why I like the idea of this project so much, is I like to see what the little guys have done. I'll even play maps I know are horrible. Including Doomguy 2000 and the like.

By the way, I played your map. It was nifty. I had to kill the archvile with a shotgun because I didn't know there was a rocket launcher... :P

Well i'm signing up for this, i'll whip up something small and classic after i'm done with a trip on November 17/18.

So I sat down and started mapping for this a couple of months ago. But then I wound up incorporating what I had done for this project into one of my TNT2 maps. Seeing as mapping takes me forever and all. And TNT2 deadlines were approaching.

I know that this is not much use to the project here, but hopefully it is some small comfort to know that a large chunk (almost half) of one of my TNT2 maps was a direct result of mapping for this project.

When TNT2 comes out, you'll know which map it is because I plan to put 'DMP' in the title of that map as a sort of tribute to this. I mean, if that is ok with the people in charge of this project of course.

Good luck with this. I for one will play these maps. I like random collections like this. It saves me having to download lots of individual maps.

@BaronofStuff. Nice layout. :)

And @neubejiita. I generally like your maps so I will give that one in particular a play.

cheers guys.

Malinku said:

Now that I have NOTHING to do. I'll remember to make something for this.

Nothing? Nothing??? I seem to recall a certain mapset that someone was working on that I really liked...

neubejiita said:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/61999-a-little-doom2-map-i-am-working-on/

I have updated my little map with all Scythe2 textures removed. I hope you like this version. And some game-play enhancements too.

http://www.securitronlinux.com/files/surrbase.zip

cool map but too dark in some parts... add some lights!

walter confalonieri said:

cool map but too dark in some parts... add some lights!

The room before the exit was too dark; I have brightened it up a bit and added lights. And the imps nukage area was brightened a bit.

Zellonous said:

I would like to see stuff they've made. One of the reasons why I like the idea of this project so much, is I like to see what the little guys have done. I'll even play maps I know are horrible. Including Doomguy 2000 and the like.

I've discussed it with some of the students, and although some have expressed some worry about negative feedback, they seem to be curious to see how many people would play their maps and get some advice. I've seen some students produce some nice maps already. I'll talk about it this Friday - my next class.

Back ontopic, I have a question about the list in the first post. Because I can't download anything from Mediafire (yes, working on getting a VPN connection, hopefully soon), I'd like to know whether the maps tagged as 'compatible' are in fact Boom compatible. If so, we currently have:

• 18 Boom maps
  • 6 vanilla Doom maps
  • 6 ZDoom maps
  • 3 limit-removing Doom maps
With less than two months left to meet the proposed deadline, would it be a good idea to focus on certain types of maps, so megawads could be finished?

1 Skulltag map

TimeOfDeath said:
The Space Base - (Skulltag compatible) - scifista42

This is a little misunderstanding - my map is ZDoom compatible. It's made in ZDoom : Doom in Hexen format and doesn't contain any Skulltag actors. I just tested that map with Skulltag and noticed that the sliding doors make sounds, but when playing in ZDoom, the doors were silent. That's the only reason why I recommended to play the map with Skulltag. Recently I tested the map again in Zandronum and found that doors are silent too. So now it really doesn't matter what port you are using.

Sorry I haven't made this clear. ToD, could you please correct this in the first post? I don't want to make this project more complicated to compile just because of my bad explanation.

No, there's another wad in the works for that. The 20 Years of Doom thing that I can't find.

Krispy said:

No, there's another wad in the works for that. The 20 Years of Doom thing that I can't find.

There were two, but I'm guessing you mean this one. The other one will probably never be finished, heh.

Kappes Buur said:

My contribution: RoundAndRound.wad
A map for GZDoom, but can also be played with ZDoom.

Would you, please, replace my previous contribution with this one.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/Etqp3jYmnY/roundandround.7z

It's still the same map, but I have made some slight changes, so that, if someone wanted to play it with ZDoom, the Exit sectors would not display the garish red lighting. And I eliminated the death pit after climbing the stairs.