Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMSLAYER

GZDoom

Hey Guys,

Still *new* to this machine and when playing doom between each level it will load a total blank green screen for 2 seconds. Is that normal for GZDoom? Doesnt seem like it would be. I have looked it over and dont know what the problem is.

Only happens when starting a new level, each level. I played with skulltag for the longest time and never had this problem.

Any help would rock!

Nah thats not it. Im talking about from level to level. Either way its no big deal. Ran into another problem tho, strange one at that. When I change my controls it wont save, so each time I have to change them back. Whats the deal?

I dont know what that means, I have it all loaded to the desktop I believe. All the files are on the desktop in a folder. Strange enough the music volume when changed in game stays and other custom changes but not the reload.

It sounds like it might be exactly what Mister Zahl suggests, but I also wonder what level transition effect you're using (i.e. fade, melt, wipe, etc.) because it has been my experience that some video cards or certain versions of some video drivers can handle these effects badly.

Ok, I have decided GZDoom is a piece of trash. I hate it, skulltag is sooooooooo much better.

Long story short, fixed the green screen. Problem was like the others said. Had to turn off Melt to nothing. Works fine now.

ALso fixed the screen chops, frame rate, whatever its called. Had to take off the Hi Def Graphics. It works fine with skulltag but not with Gzdoom.

Last problem, kinda fixed. It wasnt saving custom controls on BRUTAL DOOM V17. Well the Mutators where causing that, have to just play it without them. Causes some kind of strange bug when you play them together if you change the controls.

All in all, I really like the mod for Brutal Doom v17 but GZdoom is so terrible Im going back to skulltag.

DOOMSLAYER said:

All in all, I really like the mod for Brutal Doom v17 but GZdoom is so terrible Im going back to skulltag.

Or just use ZDoom? Works fine with me, despite some rare lag.

I will download Zandronum tonight. Brutal DOom vol 17 doesnt play for Zdoom. What do you know about Zandronum? I thought it was just online play engine but I guess you can play just the game offline as well?

Zandronum is Skulltag with a new name and a liposuction (though all the fat is still available in a compatibility pack). If you use Skulltag for single player, using Zandronum for single player will be the same thing.

Also, Skulltag is based on an older version of GZDoom.

Gez said:

Zandronum is Skulltag with a new name and a liposuction (though all the fat is still available in a compatibility pack). If you use Skulltag for single player, using Zandronum for single player will be the same thing.

Also, Skulltag is based on an older version of GZDoom.

Well I got both excited and angry at the same time. So its the next skulltag (which would rock) but based off of Gzdoom(THAT SUCKS).

You didn't understand.

SKULLTAG is based on an old version of GZDoom.

Zandronum is also based on the same old version of GZDoom because it is Skulltag.

Well downloaded Zandronum. Much Much better. Tho, for some reason it will only play DOOM and DOOM II. When I fire up TNT or PLUTONIA they load strange. Any ideas?

I tried putting them in skins folder. They will load but with wrong screens and strange sounds like they are trying to mix the other games in. Example:Fire up Brutal Doom with TNT and it comes up but with the sounds or normal TNT firing out of the machine gun.

TNT and Plutonia are IWADs - they essentially serve as 100% stand-ins for Doom2.wad. Try putting them in your G/ZDoom/Zandronum folder.

WildWeasel said:

TNT and Plutonia are IWADs - they essentially serve as 100% stand-ins for Doom2.wad. Try putting them in your G/ZDoom/Zandronum folder.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Instead of cluttering up your game directory, load all your IWADs in a separate directory, for example: Drive:/IWADs .

Then link to that directory from the ini file of the game of your choice:

which could be
zdoom->USER<.ini for ZDoom or GZDoom
skulltag->USER<.ini for Skulltag
zandronum->USER<.ini for Zandronum

Kappes Buur said:

Instead of cluttering up your game directory, load all your IWADs in a separate directory, for example: Drive:/IWADs .

Then link to that directory from the ini file of the game of your choice:

which could be
zdoom->USER<.ini for ZDoom or GZDoom
skulltag->USER<.ini for Skulltag
zandronum->USER<.ini for Zandronum

Thanks for the help but WildWeasel was correct. Works perfect now.So happy I switched Screw GZDoom. Hail SKULLTAG II Zandronum !!

I'm just wondering:

How can Zandronum possibly work better than GZDoom? It's just an ancient version of the same rendering code.

The only reason I can imagine is that your computer is a piece of fail that has problems with modern 3D features.

Graf Zahl said:

I'm just wondering:

How can Zandronum possibly work better than GZDoom? It's just an ancient version of the same rendering code.

The only reason I can imagine is that your computer is a piece of fail that has problems with modern 3D features.

I play on my laptop, maybe its 3 years old. I first tried GZDoom and it was nothing but a pain in the backside. Bugs left and right, and just terrible all around. Either way, dont really care. Zandronum is ten times better so Im cool with that. Happy on my end.

DOOMSLAYER said:

Bugs left and right, and just terrible all around.

Doesn't even load on mine.

I second this:

DOOMSLAYER said:

I play on my laptop, maybe its 3 years old. I first tried GZDoom and it was nothing but a pain in the backside. Bugs left and right, and just terrible all around. Either way, dont really care. Zandronum is ten times better so Im cool with that. Happy on my end.

If GZDoom doesn't work but Zandronum does there must be a problem with your computer. After all it is the same engine, only an older version.

The one major change between the fork and now is the way the engine uses shaders. You can try to run GZDoom with a command line option '-sm2' to disable all the shader stuff. I somewhat suspect that your problems come from that - meaning the driver is reporting features that are badly

What graphics hardware does your system have?

DOOMSLAYER said:

Zandronum is ten times better so Im cool with that.

Dude, what? Besides that your computer doesn't run GZDoom's newer renderer well, what else makes it better? You do realize it's the same codebase, right?

I laugh so hard because he just say GZDooM is trash...

My 4-5 years old computers runs GZDooM and it works fine at all, unless I put my ATI R4350 on it, oh no... :\
(And maybe we needed his startup log...)

Graf Zahl said:

I'm just wondering:

I can't imagine why Zandronum would work better, he must've only HAD his comp for 3 years, I've had mine for about 2, and it's from '06, and GZDoom runs fine except for the lag I get sometimes.