Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Looks quite good. The only weird alignment I can think of is in the arches. Shouldn't the steps in them be the same height as the stones?

I like the use of redbrick on the borders between the gstone walls!

cheers guys

@Simon666 I'm making it in 'boom' mode whatever that means, should work in most ports

@Jimi & Mechadon - Yeah I've been a bit lazy with the green marble bricks in places, I'll go back and tidy up once I've fleshed out the whole map. Bit of a nightmare that stuff

DooMknight said:

For new monsters, the only reason to put in was to give more variety (I think I've added have a pretty decent quality and fit well). Doom has only three human-type monsters, I think this is very poor for a map set in the earth. Perhaps the problem is the way I've added some monsters, using random spawners for each class, for example, the zombieman class spawns three type of derived monsters, rifle zombie, pistol zombie and chainsaw zombie. The same happens with ShotgunGuy, ChaingunGuy and Imp. I can fix it.

That's a good idea, actually. Contrarily to randomizing replacers used to play in "normal" maps, here the entire level is built around this randomness. Though you should probably use "static" (non-random) monsters in some places to fine-tune gameplay.

Be wary about the superzombies, though. (I mean, zombies with BFG, railguns, rocket launchers, etc.) They're hard to use well.

DooMknight said:

Returning to the map, I saw that someone told me it was too brown, it is true, but I decided to use only doom II textures, I think has a decent set, but 80% is brown. Also like the Quake style that gives the brown.

No new textures, or no new texture patches? Did you at least use TEXTURES or whatever to composite things like these "DOOM" car plates, or are they built out entirely out of super-tiny linedefs?

Although I have yet to finish/release the two other maps I'm working on, here is a third which is radically different from the other two. It has a forest theme and is fairly large.

Outdoor area featuring an attempt at "3D" trees.

High altitude shot showcasing extensive use of shadow.

Yet another outdoor shot demonstrating more shadow effects and interesting architecture.

Those shots look awesome goat. Although I can't even begin to describe how awesome that revenant looks in the first shot.

The directional shadowing on the trees looks great -- the shrubbery on the right of the first shot looks unconvincingly flat, though.

@Doomknight: Technically there's no need to cut any of those monsters. No one monster in that list is out of place in and of itself (it actually felt like there were a lot more than that when I was watching the vid), rather than the way they're encountered in the map. The fact that you are actually using random spawners does explain a lot, though.

If anything, I would suggest adjusting your spawn-weights so that you have more of one or two particular monsters (stock or custom) in a group. This would help reduce the risk of players abusing the feature by way of a massive random infight.

EDIT: Just watched the second half. Monster placement is nowhere near as random here.

@mouldy & Goatlord: Tasty screens, guys!

esselfortium said:

The directional shadowing on the trees looks great -- the shrubbery on the right of the first shot looks unconvincingly flat, though.

It's actually supposed to be tall grass. I may add more layers of it to make it more apparent.

Awesome shots GoatLord. I really like how those trees look. The FIREBlU pillars look a little out of place though, as do some of the other hellish textures.

Processingcontrol said:

Awesome shots GoatLord. I really like how those trees look. The FIREBlU pillars look a little out of place though, as do some of the other hellish textures.

You know, I thought about that, but honestly, I think they add some surreal variety to the map. I think once you play it, it'll hopefully add a unique quality to the building. Or maybe not.

Maybe it's like a paradise in hell, but more like a mirage of an oasis in the desert. So at first people are like yeah, great! But when they look around, they notice the weird stuff growing behind the trees, and the shadows look like they might eat you, and the sky isn't as blue and bright as they expected, and there's some foul rotten stench coming from somewhere nearby... Then they finally realize they didn't go to paradise, they went to hell!

I guess Doomguy doesn't have a problem with that though... If Doomguy actually went to paradise, he'd probably have a pistol and 50 bullets with him just in case it was another trap.

Yea, nice to see some trees and stuff like that in Doom.

Hah, thanks for giving my map a back story. I still live at home and our back yard is pretty big (by urban standards), with lots of trees and such. My fascination with that sort of imagery is very evident in this map. I think it should also be noted that this map has two exits. Depending on how you play you'll take a completely different pathway.

mouldy said:

@Jimi & Mechadon - Yeah I've been a bit lazy with the green marble bricks in places, I'll go back and tidy up once I've fleshed out the whole map. Bit of a nightmare that stuff

I feel you on that, bro. I have a building with some stairs and I cannot get them to align. I've tried upper unpegged, lower unpegged, both at once, and no matter what they will not align.

Just testing how many models I can have on the screen without too big framerate drop. There were around 84 of them there. Normally I have some 62 FPS.. and with these it dropped to 50 to 56 FPS. It was still playable and didn't feel lagging.

Remind me of gold plated robotrons rather than imps though :P Interesting look nonetheless, though disappointing since my computer can support exactly 0 models. (Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but an extremely low number for my specs)

Although I've been familiar with this map since Icarus was released, I'm not sure. Yes, "fries" is an obvious interpretation, but with this level being based around a mining theme ("Excavations"), I wonder if it is not perhaps something to do with that. For instance, lumps of wood used in the constructions to support tunnels that have been excavataed. (Yes, there's probably a word for that. Edit: "wooden supports" apparently.)

GoatLord said:

I feel you on that, bro. I have a building with some stairs and I cannot get them to align. I've tried upper unpegged, lower unpegged, both at once, and no matter what they will not align.

Whoever designed that texture to have different sized bricks on each row is a sadist. Nice shadowage by the way.

I am doing a remake of Doom 2's Suburbs level.

@GoatLord, I did a pack of "3D" trees back in the day that might be useful for you. PM me if you are interested.

@Jimi, what model pack are you using there?

Imps got hungry and ordered out their version of KFC (made from dead marines). Hmmm.. Tastes like chicken!

GoatLord: Cool, maybe I'll try to make them more like that, but no cartoon like outlining stuff.

BloodyAcid: Mmm.. I think I need to do something about the robotic look.. you're not the only one saying something like that. And there will be sprites too.

Sergeant_Mark_IV: I'm using the models I'm making. Maybe I'll release something in month. Yea, and that city map looks quite realistic. Don't know if I like so realistic levels, but always interesting to see it's possible to do such in Doom.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I am doing a remake of Doom 2's Suburbs level.
@GoatLord, I did a pack of "3D" trees back in the day that might be useful for you. PM me if you are interested.

@Jimi, what model pack are you using there?

I might be interested in the trees, I'd have to see how they look. And by the way, the house looks fucking AWESOME! GZDoom?

hex11 said:

Imps got hungry and ordered out their version of KFC (made from dead marines). Hmmm.. Tastes like chicken!

Katamori Fried Chicken! Anyway, that picture is quite strange - why should KFC-bucket be hanged on chains?