Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

Two questions about the old ports/tools

1. I watched Ultimate Doom E1M5 UV-Max by stx-Vile. In the readme he says "Something interesting also happens later on at the blue key, but I had to watch the demo in slowmo to figure it out..". What program could he have used to do this? I always thought that only Prboom-plus has this functionality and it didn't exist back then.

2. I played Hell's Condos by Peter Todd. In the readme he says "In the first area, the chemical plant, the key doesn't work right in my version of MBF. It does work in Boom though.". I, hovewer, couldn't get that key neither in MBF or Boom. Linedefs 186 and 196 are facing the wrong side and I just don't see any way to activate them. Is it possible to configure Boom so that the SR actions could be activated from any side of the line?

[edit: oh I'm sorry, I should have posted this in "Source Ports"]

It's weird, but if I use Yadex to flip the two linedefs you mentioned, then save the map and bsp it, PrBoom bombs with this error:
R_TextureNumForName: SECRET not found

But the original (unmodified) map starts up fine.

Oh, and I'm kinda bummed that my MBF dogs aren't following me up that cliffside. :-(

Memfis said:
What program could he have used to do this?

TASDoom, more so considering it's a DOOM demo, because the source uses the lost soul behavior found in the Ultimate DOOM executable file, and not DOOM II, where many TASDoom demos could desynch.

hex11 said:

It's weird, but if I use Yadex to flip the two linedefs you mentioned, then save the map and bsp it, PrBoom bombs with this error:
R_TextureNumForName: SECRET not found

There's a texture called "SECRET" which is normally not seen (and thus never loaded). By flipping the linedefs you're pushing your luck...

Memfis said:

1. I watched Ultimate Doom E1M5 UV-Max by stx-Vile. In the readme he says "Something interesting also happens later on at the blue key, but I had to watch the demo in slowmo to figure it out..". What program could he have used to do this? I always thought that only Prboom-plus has this functionality and it didn't exist back then.

He named it - SlowMo is a DOS utility that reduces the speed the game runs at.

That's not impossible, but slowmo is not an uncommon way to just say "slow motion" around here. Fortunately Drew still shows up sometimes, so I gather he'll reveal the truth eventually. I any case, I wasn't familiar with that tool... pretty interesting!

Edit: I installed SlowMo, set up the keys, tried it and it didn't seem to have any effect in Doom (under a DOS prompt in Windows 98).