Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Grand Theft Auto 5

If they even do a PC version.

Personally I'm absolutely pumped. If even half of this stuff actually happens in game while you're playing (and isn't just cutscene), I'm already throwing money at the screen.

Nomad said:

If they even do a PC version.

They will, it was mentioned by someone from Rockstar. Makes sense considering that every previous title has had a PC release.

However, it goes without saying:

DoomUK said:

Hopefully Rockstar don't fuck up the PC version this time.

Am I the only one who's annoyed that this game (and nearly every modern game) still utilize awkward perspectives and angles? It seems like no one in the video game industry ever hires a cinematic expert to make sure that the field of view, depth of field, perspectives and angle choices look proper.

DoomUK said:

Hopefully Rockstar don't fuck up the PC version this time.

I heard the PC version of Max Payne 3 was pretty good, maybe they'll learn from it and port GTA V properly.

Also, motherfucking Trevor indeed.

What I don't like that they're doing with GTA 5 is going the fan service route by going back to (at least a part of) San Andreas rather than the original idea of going back to Vice City, I know there's a lot of people who prefer SA over VC but that doesn't mean they can't do Vice City some justice in a sequal.

I've always preferred Vice City myself. It's always fun to be listening to cheesy 80's music while running people over in ridiculous 80's clothing in a quirky 80's city.

Avoozl said:

What I don't like that they're doing with GTA 5 is going the fan service route by going back to (at least a part of) San Andreas rather than the original idea of going back to Vice City, I know there's a lot of people who prefer SA over VC but that doesn't mean they can't do Vice City some justice in a sequal.

Seems like a mixture of SA with VC around the edges. A Hawaiian setting, maybe. Does Hawaii have snow-capped mountains?

Bucket said:

PC versions have been an afterthought since GTA3. Good luck with that.

Performance wise, the only real flop was GTA4. Every other release for the PC has worked exactly as their console counterparts in my experience. Trouble with GTA4 was they were way too focused on optimizing it with the console market and neglected to port it appropriately and alas, someone at Rockstart just said "fuck it" and released the slowest piece of crap i've ever tried to play.

Are you asking because you've honestly never heard of GTA, or because you're acting facetious about a genre-defining game on a Doom forum with no sense of irony?

I thought the grand theft auto games were getting increasingly boring after grand theft auto 3.

And I don't recall gta4 being very fun for very long at all except for roleplayers and physics glitch finders

GTA 3 sucked to be honest, though I didn't get around to playing it until after I had already beaten Vice City which was far superior. San Andreas is the crown jewel of the series so far, but if 5 has anywhere near the amount of shit to do I think it'll be one of the best games period.

I was talking to someone earlier about how great San Andreas was. You could do pretty much anything. I was playing that game for hundreds of hours and STILL finding new shit I hadn't seen before. If any game I ever bought was worth $60 it was that one. Not to mention I bought it twice, once on PS2 where I played for several hundred hours, and later on PC where I played quite a bit more.

The things I was most dissapointed about GTA4 is the fucking irritating cell phone mechanics, and the fact that nearly all of the customization present in SA was dropped. I liked Niko's character but I always felt hindered by how little I could customize him. Plus I miss putting hydraulics on anything and everything I could stuff into a garage. That's probably part of why GTA4 wasn't as fun; there wasn't quite as much goofy hijinks to be had. Plus the radio stations sucked something awful.

Nomad said:

GTA 3 sucked to be honest, though I didn't get around to playing it until after I had already beaten Vice City which was far superior. San Andreas is the crown jewel of the series so far, but if 5 has anywhere near the amount of shit to do I think it'll be one of the best games period.

I consider GTA3 to be the best of that trilogy, but I think we both have our biases. I played GTA3 to death, actually got 100% with the help of a friend, picked up Vice City when it came out, played most of that, but it never really recaptured the magic of playing 3 for the first time. I passed on San Andreas for some reason; only picked it up off Steam years later and haven't even come close to finishing it.

I don't understand all the love of San Andreas, sure there was more to do but it felt a little bland, in Vice City when you kill someone depending on the part you hit last being the leg or the arm they would hop around on their leg or hold at their arm before they collapse and in San Adreas they would just collapse and that's it, the guns in san andreas made these horribly weak popping sounds while in Vice City they sounded like they do some damage, the car explosions in San Andreas get old fast while in Vice City they actually felt more intense with the shaking screen light flare and a better sounding explosion, even the story felt much more enjoyable in Vice City and it's ending wasn't as disappointing as the San Andreas ending.

[no GTA V because piracy]

What a colossal pile of bullshit.

On the same sites you can also find ripped copies of console games being seeded abundantly. Of course piracy hurts sales, duh. And of course it's a little easier to pirate a game for the PC than it is for the PS3 or Xbox360. But the suggestion is that no one buys legal copies of PC games any more, which is complete nonsense.

If there's even any truth to this, I suspect the real reason why there's not going to be a PC version of GTA V will be heard from Rockstar in due course. Until then, I think we can safely assume the paradigm won't be broken.

Nomad said:

http://www.thegamescabin.com/gta-v-not-coming-to-pc/

Welp, at least we don't have to worry about a shitty port.

That shitty link has no evidential reference to anyone from Rockstar stating anything to do with "no PC port", it's nothing but speculation.

The thing we have to remember here is the the PC ports of GTA games are almost up to (maybe even more than) 6 months apart from their original console releases. I remember when GTA 4 was released and the same speculation arose, "no PC release for you! *troll*" and yet we have one (as bad as it is).

I had read an article that contained a statement from a Rockstar employee saying that there's no information on the PC port YET, which still implies that there's going to be some news. Good or bad we have yet to find out.

When i find the link again i'll post it.

Avoozl said:

I don't understand all the love of San Andreas, sure there was more to do but it felt a little bland, in Vice City when you kill someone depending on the part you hit last being the leg or the arm they would hop around on their leg or hold at their arm before they collapse and in San Adreas they would just collapse and that's it, the guns in san andreas made these horribly weak popping sounds while in Vice City they sounded like they do some damage, the car explosions in San Andreas get old fast while in Vice City they actually felt more intense with the shaking screen light flare and a better sounding explosion, even the story felt much more enjoyable in Vice City and it's ending wasn't as disappointing as the San Andreas ending.

That's gotta be because almost the entirety of the game's data was spent on expanding the world to about 3x the size of the cities in GTA3 and Vice City, along with crudding up the streets with about 300 varieties of average shit cars that pretty much all looked the same and were terrible at driving up all the jagged 55 degree angled terrain of Red County and San Fierro. And at what cost?

My fondest memories of San Andreas include listening to the most obnoxious dialogue of the protagonist, with no option to lower his volume, swimming in rivers for about 20 minutes trying to find a grabbable ledge or boat to escape with, the police not giving a shit about you if your wanted level was one or two stars, but get three and the entire population of sidewalk pedestrians automatically turns into police officers with guns as soon as you exit your vehicle, civilian drivers panicking and driving away really fast whenever police open fire so you've got no vehicles to steal, being stuck in the boring monotonous deserts and countrysides, and really fucking long commutes in between mission objectives. The game was a $50 time waster. It's got a few good attributes but the things I liked to do in GTA 1 through 3 (stealing cars, killing people, causing millions of dollars in property damage... yknow, the object of the game) was the least entertaining feature.

EDIT: that was really harsh. San Andreas isn't super terrible, I just think rockstar is losing their focus in favor of realism and sandboxing and less about doing the things you don't have the balls to do in real life, which was what made the game so attractive in the first place.