Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z86

Hellbound - Updated

Processingcontrol said:

Actually, this is my 2nd most anticipated wad, right after TNT2.

This.

I sooooo loved the first 15 maps. I don't care what anyone says, this is what Doom2 could have been. The atmosphere, the progression, the sense of immersion are all top notch. This wad genuinely had me scared in places.

Fantastic to see continued progress.

I agree, can't wait for this to come out. Great to see progress.

Z86 said:

Let me know if anyone would be interested in WIP maps or more frequent updates, or if I should just complete the thing first and then release a beta.

I'm tempted to say release more WIP maps, but that would ruin the surprise. I say finish it and release a beta.

Warning: image heavy post

Screens taken in PRBoom + software

Damn, I'm beginning to feel super nostalgic at software rendering.

MAP12 facelift

MAP14 is a bit more destroyed now

MAP18 switch and machinery

MAP18 the end

MAP19 red/grayvine room

MAP19 vines are taking over!

MAP22 terrace of Doom

MAP22 near the end

Cool looking stuff. I particularly like the red crystal-like formation in the E2 style base.

I am always pleased to see progress on this thread. Man, Hellbound is my most anticipated forthcoming Doom release, with the possible exception of TNT2.

Great stuff Z86.

Thanks for the replies!

I wish I could tell when I'll be done with this, but I just have no idea. Some time ago I pretty much facelifted all the older maps, and tested them to death with software renderer as well (and adjusted brightness and visiblity in some places because software is just much darker). Hopefully I won't need to do that again.

There are only 6 maps which are still placeholders (those empty freedoom maps), the others are all started to some degree at least (4 that need a lot more geometry still)

I just noticed a misaligned texture on screen1... OMG I need to fix that NAO.

(Fix'd while writing post :) )

glenzinho said:

If you want a gameplay/beta tester, I'd be up for this.

The beta will be open as soon as all maps will be playable from start to end. Any beta testers are welcome.

New WIP Screenshots:

MAP 18 (Starport):

MAP 28 (Black Citadel):

Also showcasing the new HUD
(Don't ask me why I had IDDQD on for the first two shots)

Since the Demo 2 in the link was quite outdated and I fixed numerous bugs since then I uploaded a Demo 3 (this has MAP01-MAP15 in it). For anyone concerned I will probably not change any more on those maps, unless it's a bugfix or a popular request.

Music is still not final, and Demo3 uses 2 tracks composed by Jimmy91 (others are original Doom/Doom2/Final Doom/Duke Nukem).

I don't like white lamps in the blue parts of that HUD. Dunno why, maybe because they're brighter than the letters. (so I notice them first and only then how much HP/ammo I have, or something)

Memfis said:

I don't like white lamps in the blue parts of that HUD. Dunno why, maybe because they're brighter than the letters. (so I notice them first and only then how much HP/ammo I have, or something)

To be honest I wasn't sure about those too, maybe i'll try different colors

Sorry, but I need to ask. Why did you use IDDQD on these first two screenshots? :)

One suggestion, the use of STONE2 on MAP14 and MAP15 is pretty ugly, the bricks are not offset correctly.

Z86 said:
To be honest I wasn't sure about those too, maybe i'll try different colors

I think the idea of the lights is good and original. Maybe changing the color of the big numbers (but not the words under them) can make them stand out. Maybe to yellow, where they'd combine with the small weapon and ammo numbers.

All is proceeding according to the plan...

Though there's no plan.

My predicted completion time would be towards the end of the year (christmas or something).

I'm working on MAP31 and 24. 25 is almost done (fully playable, I might just add a few details). All ideas are now set, only a few names remain.

Teaser Shots from MAP24 (City of Pandemonium)

As you can see I have not used the A-button in DB yet (for a peevy reason). Otherwise Architecture and style is probably going to be this.

You can also see the new HUD font color.

I might put up a new version of the Demo as I found some aestetically unpleasing bugs in some pre15 maps...

...Am always pleased to see progress on this. Looking forward to it. :)

Z86 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vWkF5lV-xc&feature=plcp

Uploaded a playthrough video of MAP14, I'll probably do some more too.

aaaaah yes, map 14. aka one of the best city maps ever!

The contrast on that video was so high that all the demons looked as if they had doomguy's 'invulnerability eyes'. I kept expecting them not to die. But of course they did.

Great level.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

aaaaah yes, map 14. aka one of the best city maps ever!

The contrast on that video was so high that all the demons looked as if they had doomguy's 'invulnerability eyes'. I kept expecting them not to die. But of course they did.

Great level.

I let youtube correct the brightness on it since it looked quite dark. + I had brightmaps on, probably that's the cause.
(http://forum.zdoom.org/viewforum.php?f=19)

I think I'll be using a bit brighter light setup in the future when recording, though.

Thanks for the compliments!