Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

I use ZDoom because it is the only fucking port with OPL emulation, and hence recreates the original Doom experience far better than any other.

However, on the flip side, ZDoom is filled with crap I don't need.

Sigvatr said:
Not the last time I checked. If it does then I will be excited.

It does support it; the OPL branch of the code is integrated into the current Windows builds.

The setup program has an option for OPL in the Sound section.

By the way, DOSBox also has OPL emulation, and runs vanilla smoothly on current systems. In addition, with DOSBox you can apply the Doom+ patches to vanilla, for a good degree of limit-removing.

Sigvatr said:

I use ZDoom because it is the only fucking port with OPL emulation, and hence recreates the original Doom experience far better than any other.

Mega-lol

I had to ask this, because of the game being almost 20 years old, and with all those console and source ports out there.

Vanilla DOOM is my main way of playing the classic DOOM games. DOOM II is my favorite game of all time, and one of the objectives for a game to be my favorite, is that I have to be able to play and beat the game in its original form. Plus I enjoy the original look and feel of the game.

For XP, 7, and any other modern computers, I obviously use DOSBox to play Vanilla DOOM. I stated in another thread that I made an archive of all the Vanilla DOOM games set up to run good in DOSBox with little to no trouble, with multiplayer capability as well.

I actually have a Windows 98 computer, passed down from my grandparents, that can run Vanilla DOOM and several other DOS games. It's still in very good condition. Plus, I notified a computer center near where I live to keep an eye out for a true DOS computer, my definitive Vanilla DOOM machine. They found one, and I'm gonna pick it up from them on Wednesday for a TBD price.

As for source ports, my favorites to use are currently:
Chocolate DOOM (for the few computers I know that don't like DOSBox)
DOOM Legacy (For playing DOOM with local gamers on LAN)
Risen3D (for playing DOOM in HD)
ZDaemon (for playing DOOM online)

I plan to get back into playing Vanilla Doom, but now I'm way too used/hooked up to GLBoom-Plus, which is my favorite port.

I also use Zandronum/Zdaemon for playing online from time to time.

Chocorenderlimits: for testing vanilla limits maps
PRBoom+: for solo playing 90% of the time
Legacy: for splitscreen co-op
ZDaemon/Odamex: for online multiplayer

I have Chocolate Doom, ZDoom and GZDoom on my HD and I use them for solo play the remaining 10%

Sometimes, but it's by no means my primary method. I usually use ZDoom with most of the strict compat options. Most.

Because fuck that blockmap bug.

I used to have Win98 on my main comp for a really long time just so I could play vanilla.

Now it's PrBoom+ all the time. I'd use DosBoxed vanilla or Doom+ if appropriate for testing maps or doing demos, but for everyday use I just never feel like it.

I only ever run a vanilla engine in DOSBox to check the engine's behavior in certain conditions, so it doesn't count as playing.

[G]ZDoom is the port I find the most comfortable for playing and modding. I alternate randomly between software ZDoom and OpenGL GZDoom.

I also like to use Eternity from time to time.

BaronOfStuff said:

Sometimes, but it's by no means my primary method. I usually use ZDoom with most of the strict compat options. Most.

Because fuck that blockmap bug.

If compat_useblocking is on, it can break non-vanilla maps, such as for example Jade Earth (a Boom map). So if you're playing a Boom or ZDoom map and wonder why exactly you can't seem to activate a door or a switch, turn this one off.

You guys should really check out Odamex, it does such a damn good job of having cool features but still having that "classic feel."

It is a multiplayer port to play online with, like ZDaemon or Skulltag. However the goal is to add new features on top of classic Doom instead of having new features then adding the old stuff back in and enabling it. http://odamex.net

If I play singleplayer I use Vanilla in DOSbox, but I rarely play offline.

Vanilla Doom (DOOM2 V1.9) in DOSBox, often using NOVERT.COM (but not always).

I also use PrBoom+ (mostly for playing back demos), GZDoom, and Zandronum.

I use Chocolate Doom for vanilla and limit removing maps (my own build to remove limits), Eternity for Boom type maps, and ZDoom for ZDoom mods. I've grown bored of normal ZDoom mods for the most part, I only really like the ones that try to be TCs and stuff that majorly changes things.

Most of my playing is done in PrBoom+ these days, although that is more of a direct result of me making a lot of Boom compatible maps these days. I'll go with ZDoom if I just want a no-fuss experience. Same goes for Eternity though less so.

Lately I've been using Chocolate Doom very often because of the vanilla mapping I've been doing. I don't play using it very often, but it is very handy for testing maps (well that and chocorenderlimits).

I use some kind of vanilla engine 99% of the time (Chocolate Doom, SDL Doom, doom,exe).

Sometimes run PrBoom for a limit-removing or Boom map. My favorite feature are the MBF dogs. :-)

Doom95 is what I usually use for vanilla testing. It's a pain in the butt. :/ I used to use Skulltag all the time due to it being recommended to me by a friend, but nowdays I use ZDoom for most projects, with the exception of port-specific wads like Mandrill.

Do you still play Vanilla DOOM?

Yeah, I always use it for single player, generally applying the Doom+ limit-raising hacks, the longtics hack, and novert. Occasionally I also use it for cooperative and deathmatch in a LAN with a friend.

[...] what's your favorite DOOM source port?

I guess it's ZDaemon, currently? Because I like to jump on some of its public servers sometimes to play CTF, cooperative (normal or survival) or deathmatch. I have nothing against Zandronum and Odamex but I like to keep the server list shorter so it loads fast, and I'm waiting for an Odamex bug to get fixed. I also use PrBoom+ for some demo watching.

TimeOfDeath said:
I haven't played vanilla in 9 years.

But you did use Chocolate Doom for a demo or two!

ZDoom is my first choice for general play, testing and modding. GZDoom I only use to play projects that demand it as I don't like the look of the OpenGL renderer and I used chocorenderlimits for testing vanilla-compatibility for projects like DTWiD and BtSX. I do have a copy of prboom-plus, which has been used to watch a couple of demos people have recorded when testing or recording on my maps (Plutonia Revisited was the main one for that, IIRC).

So ZDoom about 95% of the time, really!

i use odamex for pretty much everything because it supports my gamepad just the way i like it.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
40oz said:

i use odamex for pretty much everything because it supports my gamepad just the way i like it.

No wonder you hated montana.wad