Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Afterlife

Finishing a level by elevator (platform) lowering?

Just as in map 07 of Jenesis, it ends through the platform lowering. Can
someone explain how this is done. Does it involve scripting or not?

That ending involves a voodoo doll placed in a conveyor belt outside the map which trips over various linedef actions. The case in Jenesis MAP07 is two actions seperated a good distance from each other; elevator lower to next floor and exit level. Voodoo dolls in conveyor belts is basically ACS, but without writing the script. It involves linedef actions instead text.

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void)
{
delay (5*35);
Exit_Normal (0);
}
Assign the above to a linedef with type 80 (script activte), when the player crosses the linedef the script will wait for 5 seconds and then exit the level. This is much easier, in my opinion, than setting up a voodoo doll conveyor. Still it is personal preference. To make sure the player crosses the line you could stick the linedef a couple of places into the lift platform itself.

Have fun,

Dave

I'll elaborate a bit. In Boom you need to give a linedef the action 253 like Pottus said, but you also need to have the linedef the correct length and angle. The longer the line is, the faster the conveyer belt: and the direction the line points corresponds to the direction of the conveyer belt.

In ZDoom it's a bit easier: just give the sector the Carry property in what direction you want it.

This is what I use for elevator scripting:

script (void)
{
FloorAndCeiling_Lowerbyvalue(0,0,0);
delay(10*2);
Floor_lowertolowest(0,0);
}

I don't know if this could be close to jenesis' scripting though.

Frankly, I've only used this once, but it worked fine for me. What I did was:

script 19 (void)
{
Floor_RaisebyValue (28, 8, 2048);
Ceiling_RaisebyValue (28, 8, 2048);
Delay (35*15);
Exit_Normal (0);
}

This was in a map for a wad I was making about 6 months ago, and it works fine for what it was to do, and this is completely unmodified from it's original version.