Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
commode7x

Walkthrough for Community Chest Map29 Citadel at teh edge of Eternity?

I've tried everywhere for a walkthrough for this level, and I've found nothing usable. I've been running laps around the level, looking for anything that may resemble a switch or lever or a secret room with a key in it, and I've found nothing.

The only thing I found was a forum thread on gamesforum.ca

http://www.gamesforum.ca/showthread.php?t=390748

The beginning said something about "half steps nearest the door", "chairs", and "interconnecting doors" before a "shootable skull switch in the first room in the
south west having opened one door". I haven't a clue what they're talking about. The only thing I remember was a shootable skull behind a wall panel on the southwest side of the map. I thought that the pile of Hell Barons on the upper level of the southwest part of the map would lead to clues, but I got nothing except some worthless ammo. The only useful thing that I got from the forum post was the semicircular room on the far west side of the map. Pressing all of the buttons there, I found nothing. Nothing was changed, and now I'm back to running laps around the level.

If only the maker of the map were still alive, we could simply ask him, but unfortunately, all I have to go on, since no one bothered to put up a YouTube video, is this extremely cryptic riddle about a secret switch in the semicircular room raising "seats" of some sort.

Zdoom doesn't support the demos, and trying it with Doom95, it keeps telling me "Bad music number 143"

I have no idea how to use demos, but I'm thinking that they don't work on Windows 7

commode7x said:

Zdoom doesn't support the demos, and trying it with Doom95, it keeps telling me "Bad music number 143"

I have no idea how to use demos, but I'm thinking that they don't work on Windows 7

Good luck getting CatEoE to run on Doom95, let alone a demo.

The whole reason I moved to ZDoom was Doom95 couldnt handle that specific map.

I don't suppose there's another way to find out how to play the level, is there? Or maybe a way to make the demo work?

I'd hate to think that the level is unbeatable, and the original designer simply didn't make it right.

That was an insanely horrible map. I've had major problems progressing as well. Couldn't figure out what to do. Did it eventually but it took hours.

Grazza said:

I downloaded it, but it refuses to cooperate when I make it play the demo .lmp.

All I want to do is sit down with a nice, relaxing game of Doom, and I end up with having to spend hours upon hours beating my head against my keyboard and taking a computer course in DOS and command line arguments just to get the damn thing to play right.

You know what? I'm not even going to bother. The level is unplayable. I'll just skip to the next one.

Thanks for all your help!

There's a sort of trend to Magikal's maps, isn't there? Like they've been made by either a genius or a schizophrenic.

From the start, go on your left and open the window with the two zombies up in the big stairs.
Open the level with an editor if you are lost.

commode7x said:

I downloaded it, but it refuses to cooperate when I make it play the demo .lmp.

Look, it's easy. Extract the files to wherever you keep your Doom wads (i.e. where you have doom2.wad and cchest.wad). Right click on the lmp file and tell it to open it with prboom-plus. How much simpler could it be?

Obsidian said:

There's a sort of trend to Magikal's maps, isn't there? Like they've been made by either a genius or a schizophrenic.

Those two traits are not mutually exclusive, my friends.

I have a YouTube video up for this particular level:

youtube.com/watch?v=TZp9cT6PDh0

Honestly, this map was a huge nightmare to beat. I often ran out of ammo and had to use savestates over and over again. I had to look up the map several times with the editor and while doing the playthrough I had to do so much editing to the video after I finished recording. I simply don't have the motivation to even try replaying this level again. It took me nearly 3 hours to beat this whole level with save states. Without savestates, I would have to spend weeks doing this and I don't have any more motivation to do it again. It is in fact my most hated level in the set since it takes a player several hours to finish, which isn't even close to the theme of this megawad.

In the video, I did manage to get 100% secrets, however, I quicksaved and quickloaded so many times and in the final run I forgot to register one of the secrets. I simply do not want to replay or re-record this particular level ever again.

You're responding to a post from 2012. Normally I wouldn't gripe at such (since it's technically on-topic), but the OP hasn't been around since.

Good for Google posterity, I suppose, if this thread comes up.

Oh well I wasn't sure if anybody has found a walkthrough of it. I was gonna start a new thread about this but since I already found a thread talking about this particular level I figured I would let the other doomers know that I did a video of that level.

Somebody did a playthrough it earlier this year. I think the video was taken down due to the swearing that goes with playthroughs of the map. Or discussing the outcome of NFL games.

I have yet to complete this map. I was playing through Community Chest on my Pentium III copermine 1ghz and when this level loaded, the FPS on ZDoom dropped alot. I struggled with this map and quit 2 months ago. I am dreading going back to it. Someone on google goups message boards said it took them over 8 hours to beat. That is a real brain drain for a Doom level. I watched about 1 hour of Ling's playthrough on Youtube.