Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHeroFromDOOM

Quetion, how to get to the doom 3 files

Hay guys, a few years ago I was here and I asked for a program that would unzop the DOOM3 game so I could see the barkground skys, wall, doors, texters, sounds, game moddles, ext. Someone gave me a programe that unzipped it in one shot and I was able to get to all the sounds and images and what not. Can someone please tell what program can do this for me so I can go dl it. Thank alot guys!

-TheHeroFromDOOM

Thank you for replying Caffeine Freak, Im still having trouble I can leason to the sound and wad like I was able to, or see the images. I think I might be doing something wrong. Last time the program unzipped every little file and, tons and tons of file came out automaticly. Not doing the it, what should I do? Thank you.

Just extract them all to a folder if that's what you wish; Doom 3's *.pk4 files are just Zip files so pretty much any program that can handle Zip will be able to extract them.

No need to extract everything, just use 7zip/WinZip/WinRar/whatever to navigate to the archived folders and files you want to extract, and extract to a specified folder.

Still not having any luck, I forgot to say It DOOM 3 BFG on steam. Not the CD. Sorry Im a newb at this, just trying to get the sound to go threw them all and pic wat ones I what to leason to on winamp. And Im trying to get to the hell door to studing it in a art sence. As well as the rest of the art work in the game. If you could write it in newb steps on what to do Id be very greatful. Happy thanks giving guys and thanks for you help.

TheHeroFromDOOM said:

Still not having any luck, I forgot to say It DOOM 3 BFG on steam. Not the CD. Sorry Im a newb at this, just trying to get the sound to go threw them all and pic wat ones I what to leason to on winamp. And Im trying to get to the hell door to studing it in a art sence. As well as the rest of the art work in the game. If you could write it in newb steps on what to do Id be very greatful. Happy thanks giving guys and thanks for you help.

Ooohh, that's a different matter altogether, because the BFG edition is archived differently than the original. At this point, I'm not sure there's any legal way to open up the BFG files. You may have to wait until the release of the source code, followed (hopefully) by the release of mod tools, either by id or the community.

But if you want to study textures and sounds, the original game has most of the assets that the BFG edition has. Download/install 7-zip, right-click on one of the pk4 archives, and go to '7-zip->Open Archive'. And if you're thinking of the hell door texture I think you're thinking of, that would be 'textures/hell/a_helldoor_d03d'. Just open up the pak004.pk4 archive to get to it.

You could just wait until someone over at the Xentax forums makes an archive extractor for the .resource files, someone there already has made one for Wolfenstein 2009's mpk/spk files.