Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Finalizing PSN

The Bethesda guys send word that DOOM Classic Complete will be arriving on PS3 this week for $14.99/£11.99/€14.99. This collection contains Doom 1 and 2 (plus No Rest For The Living) and the two Final Doom campaigns. So, uh, if you wanna play Go 2 It with a Dual Shock, now you can! You sicko.

Captain Toenail said:

Uh... but BFG Edition on PS3 has these (minus Final Doom). So why?

Available on PSN this week for $14.99/£11.99/€14.99, the collection includes DOOM (with the additional episode “Thy Flesh Consumed”), DOOM II (including the additional episodes “No Rest for the Living” and “The Master Levels”) and Final DOOM.

That's why. 85 levels not found in BFG Edition.

It'll probably appear on Steam later; which would explain why all packs and compilations that included the classic Doom games disappeared.

It'd be interesting to know if the Doom IWADs are the really classic ones, or the Xbox/BFG edition version (with Wolf censorship). The latter seems more likely but you never know, the former could be a sneaky way to get people to buy it again so that they have the uncensored game too! }:D

Arch-Valentine said:

Man I really hope this is released on XBLA...I have Doom 2 and its really fun playing with the controller. Reminds me of playing Doom with just a keyboard.

Someone (I'm thinking it was Quasar, but I can't remember for sure) said the XBLA version of Doom 2 is set up to accept DLC episodes. Doing the Master Levels, TNT and Plutonia that way would make perfect sense. Somehow I get the feeling they won't do it that way, though.

Heh, I like how Thy Flesh Consumed is being touted like a new episode there.

Comments from gstaff on that blog post (the person who writes the blog) say that it is censored like in the BFG edition. Whether its based on the BFG edition is unknown.

This is blatant milking of the series doing this right after releasing the BFG edition. They didn't listen to fan criticism after their big blunder with the BFG edition. This is just sick, the ID we knew is dead.

Xtife said:

This is blatant milking of the series doing this right after releasing the BFG edition. They didn't listen to fan criticism after their big blunder with the BFG edition. This is just sick, the ID we knew is dead.

What big blunder is that?

Caffeine Freak said:

What big blunder is that?

Probably the fact that Doom II on the BFG Edition had the life censored out of it, among other things.

The Id we knew never existed. Wolf3D and Doom were both censored for the SNES, and swastikas were taken out of Doom v1.666.

Also, I believe Doom and Quake are the first examples of a company licensing out a game's engine. Talk about a cash-in.

Obsidian said:

Probably the fact that Doom II on the BFG Edition had the life censored out of it, among other things.

If Nazi references and crosses on med packs were what gave Doom II 'life' in your eyes, I'd suggest you were focused on the wrong things.

There are things I've read about it but can't confirm as I don't plan on buying it. If anyone wants to confirm these, PLEASE do so.

1.) They did not patch Map31 of TNT, meaning some people will become 100% stuck in this map due to the Yellow Key not even existing in the map and the inability to use the tnt31.wad fix.
2.) Nightmare difficulty is still not even like the originals, with no hope of fixing it.
3.) No chance of having Master Levels and Final Doom as DLC for those who already purchased Doom 3: BFG Edition for PS3.
4.) Final Doom and The Master Levels are also censored just as Doom and Doom II are in The BFG Edition.
5.) Uncustomizable controls and inferior sound effects.

My guess is that Plutonia Map27 had it's name changed from Anti-Christ to something else ridiculous, among other changes...

Edited to fix a typo or three.

Caffeine Freak said:

If Nazi references and crosses on med packs were what gave Doom II 'life' in your eyes, I'd suggest you were focused on the wrong things.

Best answer I've seen to this hysterical "censorship" bullshit I've seen so far.

fraggle said:

Best answer I've seen to this hysterical "censorship" bullshit I've seen so far.

Yeah, seriously. People, if *I* am not bitching about it, you should probably think about your position on it ;)

If people focused more on the actual, technically unnecessary, game play changes resulting from the censorship of nazi references. We would probably have seen actual progress here. From Bethesda's pov there are people complaining about graphical changes that they can't revert and sell a single product in all countries. Oh well.

I wonder how the master levels were implemented in this version? Do we finally have all 21 levels placed in alphabetical order? If so, did they change the music? The suspense is killing me! :P

I actually passed on the BFG edition because of the changes they made to Doom 3, even though I really wanted the originals for console.

So this is definitely more up my alley.

caco_killer said:

There's never been a console version of the Master Levels, so I'm definitely buying this.

A few of them were in PSX Final Doom.

Being the sucker I am, I went ahead and bought it, despite already owning BFG Edition.

There are some improvements over BFG Edition.
-menus are quicker/more responsive
-they have chosen a better soundfont for the midis (Human BBQ is ear-rape though :/ )

On the other hand, multiplayer is still vacant/lagtastic and stuff is still censored.

btw Master Levels were included with XBox Doom3 Special Edition. The music/skies/map names and order were all screwed up though.

This is just a plain cash-in and is despicable whoring of the Doom franchise, even a month since the BFG Edition which is on the PS3 as well. Yes, there are Final Doom and Master Levels but can anyone confirm if Master Levels was removed off Steam, as I cannot find a price tag anymore (FD still does for a low $5).

If they have not fixed TNT MAP31 in this and other issues Altima brought up (lol, wimpy Nightmare mode), this release is gonna suck just as much BFG Edition's blunderous release.

I can't help but feel a little ripped off that these weren't simply included in the BFG Edition. I won't be buying this.

Mr. Chris said:

can anyone confirm if Master Levels was removed off Steam, as I cannot find a price tag anymore (FD still does for a low $5).

The Master Levels were never sold independently by Steam, they used to be bundled with Doom II and included in the various Doom compilations.

After the BFG edition, the Master Levels were unbundled from Doom II and all existing compilations that included the classic Doom games were mercilessly erased from existence forever.

Gez said:

After the BFG edition, the Master Levels were unbundled from Doom II and all existing compilations that included the classic Doom games were mercilessly erased from existence forever.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=doom

Are you really complaining about that when every classic Doom game is currently $2.99?

As for all the complaints about this being a cash-in, look, there's this crazy little theory I've got that game companies (including id) sometimes do stuff to actually turn a profit. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that. But stop pretending that id was ever a company that wasn't about making money, even if they made great games and engines as well.

Caffeine Freak said:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=doom

Are you really complaining about that when every classic Doom game is currently $2.99?

Yes because I had to update the Doom Wiki pages about Steam to say these packs were dead. :p

Anyway, I don't personally care. I have Doom. I have all the IWADs and commercial Doom mods already, in nearly all versions that exist thanks to upgrade/downgrade patches. They could stop selling Doom forever, it wouldn't affect me.

My disapproval on their removal of the packs wasn't because of the money they (would no longer) save, but because they were the last way to get the Master Levels legally.

There is making money off your series and there is cashing-in and milking your series to death, big differences there Caffeine Freak. The BFG Edition was release in September or October but is it necessary to rerelease the game in its same state from then plus Final Doom and Master Levels? Is the Steam sales off PC gamers who are classic Doom fans (which is like 10:1 or close?) as opposed to console gamers?

If you're asking me, it's ridiculous to release a semi-identical product that still has flaws (TNT MAP31 keycard glitch) to a new audience without alienating their original PC fanbase?

Mr. Chris said:

alienating their original PC fanbase

I'm going to presume that most of us already have all of the original IWADs on our computers. No TNT map 31 glitches, censored swastikas or anything to upset even the most discerning Doom aficionado. How are we being alienated again?

It's not semi-identical. We might have lost track of this point here since we're focused on the classics, but Doom 3: BFG Edition was focused on the Doom 3 part. The classic Doom and Doom II were included as a neat little bonus. They weren't the argument.

And I really see nothing alienating for the PC fanbase in this. The PC fanbase already has the games on the PC. This does not affect them.