Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why can't people just be happy and grateful?

Seriously, how does it come that so many people are upset that Doom 3 has been re-released for current gen consoles and that ALL of the Doom games have been re-released on the PSN store with trophies and everything?

I just don't get it.

The idea of there being a cool version of Doom 3 on the PS3 has interested me ever since John talked about a "super version" for Doom 3 for the PS3 years ago. So seeing Doom 3 plus the expansion pack come to the PS3 for me to enjoy on my bigass flatscreen TV made me so very happy.

In addition, I have been wanting the original Dooms on the PSN store for years, so now that they have all been re-released in one massive package for the PSN with trophy support and all, I really could not be happier.

And yet, instead of most people being glad that they can now enjoy Doom on the PS3, I have heard almost nothing but whine.

What the hell gives? People who really hate the BFG edition and want nothing to do with it can simply not buy it and play Doom 3 on the PC like they always have, and will lose nothing whatsoever. The same thing goes for the original Doom games and the "Doom Complete" collection that was just released on PSN.

I honestly don't get it why so many people are acting as if Id has somehow betrayed them because the BFG edition wasn't EXACTLY like they would have liked, or because Doom complete edition includes Final Doom and the Master levels while the BFG edition doesn't.

Speaking of the Doom complete edition and the Doom 3: BFG edition:

You guys do realize that it is called the "Doom3": BFG edition, and not "The Doom Collection", right?

The BFG edition is a re-release of DOOM 3. The fact that Doom 1 and 2 are included is merely a bonus. And seeing as the game costs about half as much as a full retail game and still includes Doom 3 plus the expansion and Doom 1 and 2 its beyond me why some people are calling it a "horrible deal". Lots of the things some people are saying just reaks of self entitlement.

Why are so many people flaming Id Software and throwing shit at them instead of just being happy about the fact that we can now finally play every single Doom game on the PS3 safe for Doom64?

Thoughts?

hardcore_gamer said:

Lots of the things some people are saying just reaks of self entitlement.

You have your answer right there.

Don't care, I'll never own PS3 or N64 or whatever. Amiga and classic consoles 4EVER! ;-/)

Because we live in a world where lots of people who think they have brilliant ideas compete to sell their ideas to as much people as possible. We've heard some pretty fucking awesome ideas in our lifetime so its pretty easy to dismiss not so good ideas, average ideas, and even rather decent ideas as complete and utter shit in comparison. So if people aren't coming up with fucking awesome ideas, then we don't wanna hear it.

I know this probably isn't directed at my posts, but I have expressed my dissatisfaction with the BFG edition. Though I long ago gave up on id's willingness to scratch that classic itch. Luckily, I've got you guys for that, and that's more than enough for me.

Anyway, I'll give my theory on why we're never satisfied: It's because we're a niche market. For the most part, we will never be satisfied by what people sell to us, because people like us aren't included in focus groups when deciding what will sell. There just aren't enough of us.

I'm not saying that we can't enjoy mainstream releases, but for that classic itch I was referring to earlier, there are surprisingly few money-sinks for us to spend our dollars on.

I only realise two days ago when I was at a video shop when I realised Doom 3 was re-released for PS3. I don't see any problem with it. In fact, I think it keeps the Doom series alive.

I'm pretty sure that those who find the BFG Edition (and the new PSN release) to be truly offensive are a vocal minority, even in this community.

And sure, BFG's doom2.wad has technical issues, but it's not the end of the Doomworld even if that part sucks.

Xaser said:

BFG's doom2.wad has technical issues

Not just that but also some gameplay issues.

Besides the somewhat unresponsive menus the anolog movements feel a bit stiff and unaccurate.

This baffles me because the Doom Classic Complete edition doesn't suffer from either of those things. In fact, the Doom Classic Complete edition feels and plays like a polished version of the versions of Doom that come with the BFG edition.

hardcore_gamer said:

Seriously, how does it come that so many people are upset [snip]

It isn't lots of people. It's just Mr. Chris posting over and over again like a stuck record.

I don't care for the BFG edition one way or another, but seeing your overly passive aggressive OP and people humoring you makes me want to dislike it on principle now.

Phml said:

I don't care for the BFG edition one way or another, but seeing your overly passive aggressive OP and people humoring you makes me want to dislike it on principle now.

That doesn't sound like a very mature thing to do.

As a general rule of thumb, there is almost never any point in disliking something "on principle".

Coopersville said:

I'm still pretty mad at the Sega Saturn port of Doom.

lol, I still have a face-punch waiting for those clowns at Rage Software.

My previous comment was a thinly veiled jab at how self-centered you are. Seeing you take it at face value was sort of expected, but watching you push it further trying to give life advice is impressive. How *big* can your ego be?

Stop scrambling for that "reply" button for a second and try to put yourself in someone's else shoes. Your unwillingness to do so is the sole reason for your problems.

hex11 said:

Don't care, I'll never own PS3 or N64 or whatever. Amiga and classic consoles 4EVER! ;-/)

Wow hear that everyone? Let's talk about how interesting and unique this person is instead.

Phml said:

My previous comment was a thinly veiled jab at how self-centered you are. Seeing you take it at face value was sort of expected, but watching you push it further trying to give life advice is impressive

I wasn't trying to give anyone any live advice. I was simply pointing out the idiocy of hurling shit at Id for doing exactly what legions of people had been begging for years simply because what they got wasn't completely 100% what they had wanted.

GhostlyDeath said:

What about those who do not have a PS3 like myself? Should they be happy and grateful?

What do you mean? All of the games are now on all of the platforms (Xbox360,PS3,PC). what does it matter if you own a PS3 or not?

I love the BFG edition. I played Doom 3 when it was released, but it was my brothers copy and I never really touched it again. Now I played through it, and get to play RoE and the Lost Levels!

Doom 1 and 2? Already had those, I guess.

I honestly find no need to get BFG edition, I'm happy enough with the original Doom 3 and it's expansion.

I LOVE the BFG Edition and the Doom Classics Complete offer. Thanks id Software!

Wolfenstein 3D on PSN is good, too...

Haven't played it--never enjoyed Doom 3 though, so I cannot foresee myself caring either way.

That said, are people somehow not allowed to criticize things that they dislike? Not purchasing the product is their choice, sure, but saying that it fucking sucks is just as legitimate of a reviewed opinion as saying that it's amazing and giving it praise.

Nothing wrong with a bit of negative feedback, especially if it helps the developer/publisher improve their product.

hex11 said:

Amiga and classic consoles 4EVER! ;-/)

Bro fist!

eargosedown said:

That said, are people somehow not allowed to criticize things that they dislike? Not purchasing the product is their choice, sure, but saying that it fucking sucks is just as legitimate of a reviewed opinion as saying that it's amazing and giving it praise.

Sure, but in the case of the BFG Edition many of the reasons for saying it sucks seem to be regularly centred around unimportant details, ironically overlooking a genuine fuckup on Id's behalf: the merciless removal of the Doom 3 editor that, while Doom 3 modding has never taken off in quite the same way other games' has, appealed to a lot of people.

Nothing is above criticism, but criticism isn't above itself either ;p

It's the internet. People whine. People who want to whine make more noise than those who don't. As often as not, the whining is not worth listening to. The whiners are often people who can't construct a criticism much beyond "LOL it sucks". Discriminating between valuable comment and internet white noise is a useful skill to acquire. There do seem to be some genuine problems with the BFG release but these seem to have received less attention from the noise makers than minor issues that, for the most part, really don't matter much at all.

Like Fraggle has mentioned, you all know why I'm dissatisfied with its release. I was skeptical when it was announced and even saw the video trailer on Youtube, yet still suspicious that it won't be as good as the original 2004 release despite some of its issues it had (I had none).

And the same can apply to this nonsense on the PS3 which is more lolworthy to me but it still annoys me, I just feel bad for those PS3 owners who bought BFG and get smacked in the face seeing this.

I also suppose this can do with Id's overall credibility and reputation dwindling and the effect of those releases alienating some long time fans of the original game and Doom 3. To me, they don't seem as much as they once were during the 1993-1997 golden years.