Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NerdKoopa

[PLAYTESTERS NEEDED] Herbtech beta 1

I have finally got my first Doom 2 map, Herbtech, in a form that's more or less ready for playtesting.

Herbtech is a simple single player map that takes about six minutes to complete. The premise is that the players find themselves in a facility dedicated to research and development of genetically manipulated plants. Abandoned due to the demon infestation, the facility is slowly being consumed by a rogue experimental plant.

I wanted the visuals of this map to be unlike any other Doom map. Just look at the screenshots and decide for yourself.

The things that currently need attention the most, are item placement, enemy placement on all difficulty levels and map pacing. Custom texture quality and eventually a custom sky are second on the list. I'm hoping to see a lot of constructive critisism!
Meant to be played in ZDoom and with jumping disabled.

Download link here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xypv35wmhaa8jjq

Screenies

Apparently I made a little oopsie.... The texture on the exit door refuses to appear in game! It shows fine in Doom Builder, and there's nothing wrong when looking at the custom textures through SLADE either. I have NO idea why it doesn't show up!

Hmm, I guess you're not a very experienced player? Because this was very very easy: you give like 3-4 times more ammo than necessary and the monsters pose very little threat. The final battle is a total joke: what's the point of that ambush if you can just pick up the green sphere and kill everyone before it wears off? I don't mean to bash you, if you find this difficulty enjoyable, that's fine. Just want to let you know that it is REALLY low by today's standards. I still enjoyed playing though, the new theme is very... cute. :) Neat music too. And nice little jokes here and there.

Memfis said:

Hmm, I guess you're not a very experienced player? Because this was very very easy: you give like 3-4 times more ammo than necessary and the monsters pose very little threat. The final battle is a total joke: what's the point of that ambush if you can just pick up the green sphere and kill everyone before it wears off? I don't mean to bash you, if you find this difficulty enjoyable, that's fine. Just want to let you know that it is REALLY low by today's standards. I still enjoyed playing though, the new theme is very... cute. :) Neat music too. And nice little jokes here and there.

Ok, so first thing to improve: ramp up the difficulty. Good to know. Thanks! At the time I thought the finale would be a fun little adrenaline rush, but apparently I need to rethink it.

Done or not,I liked it.I think it's especially amusing because I'm a vegetarian.Keep up the good work!Hope it ends up being a megawad.

grouchbag said:

Done or not,I liked it.I think it's especially amusing because I'm a vegetarian.Keep up the good work!Hope it ends up being a megawad.

Thanks! Sorry to disappoint you, but it's going to stay as a one single map.

You should say what source port you used to test it, I assume you used ZDoom because I got an error in prboom-plus. Also, I assume you want jumping to be disabled. Here's an FDA I did on zdoom 260.

I liked it. Cool theme. But like Memfis said, it was hella easy on UV, but it would probably be fun for reality.

TimeOfDeath said:

You should say what source port you used to test it, I assume you used ZDoom because I got an error in prboom-plus. Also, I assume you want jumping to be disabled. Here's an FDA I did on zdoom 260.

I liked it. Cool theme. But like Memfis said, it was hella easy on UV, but it would probably be fun for reality.

Thanks. I'm gonna add some more info on the first post now.

Ok, so here's what I'm gonna do for the next stable release.

-Make the current UV difficulty the new ITYTD difficulty.
-Have a custom sky texture.
-Less ammo.
-No more invincibility in the final ambush.
-A statue/sculpture in the lobby fountain.

Ok, I've managed to make the custom sky and the fountain sculpture. These will be put in the second beta eventually.

I did end up using the DNA model after all... I really tried to figure out something more original, but nope.