Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
didy

caco replacement moves down when coming closer

I want to replace the cacodemon with a new monster which is just a hanging not moving thing which shoots. It works fine, so far, but how can I avoid that the monster moves down from the ceiling when I get closer to it? For example, the hanging legs will not come down from the ceiling when aproaching. I still have a lot of unused sprites. The map is for boom. I am using whacked2.

it isn't obstacle because this would block the player, a sector wouldn't work either - blocking and the death monster wouldn't fall down to the ground.

I might change the replacing gfx i.e. hanging legs or so... if there is no better way to solve the prob

I was working on this issue the whole day and I was coming to the conclusion that prbomm and zdoom do not interpretate boom on the same way. Zdoom ist working fine - like the original doom AND boom was intendet to be. The behavior of the 'Floating'-flag ond the 'Melee'-state seems to be different in both ports. If I am not missing some options setting than this is disapointing. Doing my boom map only playable for zdoom is not the way I wanted to go on.

Anyway, I don't have much knowledge about these things but there ARE differences! I might swap to zdoom...

Ok ,I swaped to zdoom, because prboom isn't realy boom compatible.... zdoom seems to be boom compatible
wad will be out in mid of Dec. 12

Are you using Prboom or Prboom-plus? Prboom is totally outdated.

Somehow I don't believe that ZDoom works like Boom while Prboom doesn't. I mean, 100% compatibility is one of the key features of Prboom while ZDoom is way less strict about that kind of stuff. I think you're doing something wrong. Could you make an example wad that demonstrates the difference in behaviour you're talking about?

p.s. Looking forward to the release... I really like your works, especially "Beluga" and "For whom the bell tolls". Cool to see that you're still interested in mapping.

I agree that it sounds like maybe a bug in zdoom, but a "good bug" (at least for didy). :)

Memfis - I had the same problem in prboom-plus. I used "spawn on ceiling" with "no gravity" (also with and without "floating") and gave the monster zero or negative speed, but the monster always moved down towards the player when the player gets closer when the Chase codepointer gets called.

Are you using Prboom or Prboom-plus?
> prboom+

Could you make an example wad that demonstrates the difference in behaviour you're talking about?|

> not today, so please wait, ... I have to work it out...

Somehow I don't believe that ZDoom works like Boom while Prboom doesn't. I mean, 100% compatibility is one of the key features of Prboom while ZDoom is way less strict about that kind of stuff.

Perhaps didy meant for this particular feature, ZDoom worked as Boom was intended to. There are bugs and broken features in Boom that were kept broken in PrBoom+ for the sake of compatibility with Boom v2.02 rather than Boom the ideal, generalized crushers for example.

Phml said:

There are bugs and broken features in Boom that were kept broken in PrBoom+ for the sake of compatibility with Boom v2.02 rather than Boom the ideal, generalized crushers for example.

Boom bugs and broken features are kept in -complevel 9. If there really is a bug without using complevels, then it will be fixed.

Please post a demo wad so this can be tested and fixed.